Aperture: Is my system just over-taxed?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have tried running Aperture 3 in both 64 and 32-bit mode and I am finding it increasingly sluggish in doing most anything. (I switched from iPhoto to Aperture about 3 months ago, so I'm still in the learning curve).

For instance, when viewing pictures (fullscreen) within a project, the "loading..." notice persists for several seconds and there's about a 5 second delay between pushing the right arrow and the next photo loading (and the spinning beach ball appears with some regularity as well).

My system:

MacBookPro5,1

Intel Core 2 Duo

2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Snow Leopard 10.6.5

Free Hard drive space: 80 GB

Wanna continue with Aperture, but it's just soooooo slow.....

Thanks for your thoughts....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Are you using the discrete or integrated GPU? If you go to Energy Saver preference pane, see if the option is set to better performance or better battery life (or similar wording, I don't have my Mac with me at the moment). Set to Better Performance to use the most powerful GPU.

This may or may not help with speed. I haven't used Aperture since version 1.x, but that version benefitted greatly from GPU power.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Are you using the discrete or integrated GPU? If you go to Energy Saver preference pane, see if the option is set to better performance or better battery life (or similar wording, I don't have my Mac with me at the moment). Set to Better Performance to use the most powerful GPU.

This may or may not help with speed. I haven't used Aperture since version 1.x, but that version benefitted greatly from GPU power.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked that before and confirmed on using the "better performance" mode.

Was thinking about upgrading my MacBook to the latest and greatest and maxing out the RAM at 8 GB. But would seem the MacBook Pros are due for a major refresh, so I'm hesitant to take the leap yet...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well, I just installed 6 MB of new RAM (replacing the existing original 4 MB). HUGE difference -- not just in Aperture but my whole system. I'm wondering if somehow the old RAM was going bad or something, since by all accounts, 4 MB should have been plenty. Anyway, it was worth the $120 and will tide me over until the new MBPs are announced...eventually.