Apple releases Safari 5.0.3, 4.1.3 with bug fixes, security updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released an update containing bug and security fixes for its Safari Web browser, with version 5.0.3 for Windows, Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard, and 4.1.3 for Mac users running Tiger.

Safari 5.0.3 is available direct from Apple for Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later and Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Tiger users must be running Mac oS X 10.4.11 for Safari 4.1.2.

For both Mac and Windows users, the update fixes an issue that could prevent users from submitting web forms. It also establishes an encrypted, authenticated connection to the Safari Extensions Gallery.

The latest version of Safari 5 for Mac also fixes an issue that could cause Web content to display incorrectly when viewing a Google Image result with Flash 10.1 installed.

Other fixes, according to Apple, include:

More accurate Top Hit results in the Address Field

More accurate results in Top Sites

More reliable pop-up blocking

Improved stability when typing into search and text input fields on www.netflix.com and www.facebook.com

Improved stability when using JavaScript-intensive extensions

Improved stability when using VoiceOver with Safari

Safari 5 was released in June, bringing sandboxed extensions, as well as expanded HTML5 support. It also added the ability to make Microsoft Bing the default search engine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Safari 4.1.2.

ios 4.2 would be nicer but stability is always nice I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

ios 4.2 would be nicer but stability it always nice.

At least Safari is sna... No! I can't say it

Correction: This is Acrobat not Flash. Seriously though as far as I can tell still no (correction) Acrobat Plug-in 64 bit so Safari still has to be run in 32 bit mode.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I still get Plug in failures with Flash on the BBC web site, only started when 10.6.5 was released.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

At least Safari is sna... No! I can't say it

Seriously though as far as I can tell still no Flash 64 bit so Safari still has to be run in 32 bit mode if you use Flash content. Unless anyone can correct me and point me to a solution.

not sure if i understand what you are saying. Safari 5 is a 64 bit process. Flash is run separately on its own process, so might be 32 bits (i never checked that up).

Just out of curiosity, does this update require a restart?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I still get Plug in failures with Flash on the BBC web site, only started when 10.6.5 was released.

Correction: This is for Acrobat (which maybe related to issues on BEEB but it's not Flash per se .. Sorry.) This may be the problem. Have you tried running Safari in 32 bit mode? Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit. To change Safari (in case you didn't know) quit it and find the original icon, get info and check the box next to "Open in 32-bit mode". Then restart Safari. Hopefully Flash will now work (well as well as it can lol).

Hope this helps
  • Reply 6 of 33
    yeah but is it snappy?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

not sure if i understand what you are saying. Safari 5 is a 64 bit process. Flash is run separately on its own process, so might be 32 bits (i never checked that up).

CORRECTION: This is related to Adobe Acrobat NOT flash. My Bad. First part was an old joke second part is my error, it's Acrobat Plug-In 32 bit does have some issues in Safari 64 bit not Flash.. Yes it requires a restart, on my Macs at least.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit.

something is probably wrong with your installment. Flash is a pig, and it does malfunction sometimes but i wouldn't go that far as saying it doesn't work correctly.

Flash is run in a separate process, so it doesn't matter if you start Safari in 32 or 64. It should just work. (I believe although some expert developer can clarify that for you) If you are having problems with it try reinstall flash from the adobe site. or check if any extensions are messing with it. But 32 and 64 bits is not the culprit here.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

something is probably wrong with your installment. Flash is a pig, and it does malfunction sometimes but i wouldn't go that far as saying it doesn't work correctly.

Flash is run in a separate process, so it doesn't matter if you start Safari in 32 or 64. It should just work. (I believe although some expert developer can clarify that for you) If you are having problems with it try reinstall flash from the adobe site. or check if any extensions are messing with it. But 32 and 64 bits is not the culprit here.

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash. Link removed.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash. I got this info from Adobe's own web site and it cured the issues I was having. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/509/cpsid_50983.html

We are talking about Flash right? Not PDFs? The link you've posted is about the pdf plugin for safari from acrobat reader (which by the way is not only not needed but something seriously to avoid installing).

check the image below:

• Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash.

Yep! got it. no worry.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

We are talking about Flash right? Not PDFs? The link you've posted is about the pdf plugin for safari from acrobat reader (which by the way is not only not needed but something seriously to avoid installing).

check the image below:

I agree on the don't install normally, except now at last we can access Florida MLS via a VNC app on a Mac no Parallels required. However it didn't work on many forms. Eventually we discovered it won't work without the damned plug-in and hence I found out (after weeks of trying to figure this out) what was wrong ... the 32 bit plug-in. It was Adobe (yet again!).

So someone out there may have some issues like that and it's worth knowing, sorry for off topic posting BTW. I agree otherwise, don't use it!

p.s. not seeing your attached image.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    I do as well. First thing I checked was BBC and first video clip I trip caused a failure and its very easy to recreate.

Each time a report goes to Apple so maybe they will fix it.

Am wondering if its worth reinstalling Flash or if there s a new verson for 10.6.5 ??
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Not sure this should help but changing Safari to 32 bit mode via Get Info seems to have cured the constant crash message on the BBC web site (and others ) when they use Flash.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    and this definitely should not happen but it nows runs faster than before ?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Yes it does
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I do as well. First thing I checked was BBC and first video clip I trip caused a failure and its very easy to recreate.

Am wondering if its worth reinstalling Flash or if there s a new verson for 10.6.5 ??

What version of Flash are you using? I am using 10.6.5 and the latest Adobe Flash Player square beta with no issues. I'll do some more testing when I get home.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

No issues here at all with flash - I don't suppose you're using a beta version of the plug-in at the moment are you? I know how users like to be 'ahead of the game'. The current 'stable' version is 10.1.102.64.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

check the image below:

I have to disagree on that one. There are many websites that require the Acrobat Reader plugin instead of Preview to be used effectively.