Apple releases Safari 5.0.3, 4.1.3 with bug fixes, security updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I have to disagree on that one. There are many websites that require the Acrobat Reader plugin instead of Preview to be used effectively.

Links to them, please.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More accurate results in Top Sites

If I visit any URL twice, it shows up on my Top Sites. Absolutely nothing was fixed.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Still hangs on quite a few sites before loading them. Almost as if it's having problems resolving DNS. Firefox is instant when I go to the same sites, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening

Could be a flash issue, but why would FF be working perfectly?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Maybe Apple also delayed iOS 4.2 to update Mobile Safari too? Oddly, Apple has never updated Mobile Safari separately from iOS updates...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Confirmed - this latest Safari update is not very compatible with the newest version of flash.

I've had problems with these sites:

www.ctv.ca

www.kcrw.com

Glitchy and has intermittent problems.

I'm starting to wonder if Apple isn't intentionally doing this out of some sort of spite?\

It's just getting bizarre now. It's not the mac OS, FF works 100%

Oh well, this version also doesn't make the 'dock'.

Firefox for another 4 months it is...

Oh, should mention that this is with Leopard. Not sure how it's performing with SL.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Links to them, please.

Ummm, no one is in the habit of remembering websites that don't work. Instead, we fix the problem by running Safari in 32-bit mode and using the Reader plugin. But... one that under no circumstances will work with Preview is our company's payroll printing function. If you want to print your paycheck summary/stub, you have to have Reader as the viewer. This system uses SAP so I would imagine that other sites that use SAP on the back end will quite likely have the same limitation.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Dont know how to tell which version is being used but it is the version that you download from the apple.com site (downloaded when I installed 10.5.5, so am assuming its nothing unusual.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Found out how to check flash version and it is indeed 10,1,102,64 installed.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Hhmmm. I thought that Apple said that all updates for Tiger had stopped. Including security updates.

Did I misunderstand that?

And now there's a Safari update specifically for Tiger. Huh - what gives?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Hhmmm. I thought that Apple said that all updates for Tiger had stopped. Including security updates.

This is a Safari update, not a Mac OS X 10.4 update. Even if that version of Safari is only for Tiger now, it?s still a Safari update.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit.

There is actually a 64bit flash player for mac, though its only a developer preview.

Here is some info on it

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Adobe calls it "Square" and you can download it from here....

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

just scroll down to 64-bit Release Players and download. I've had it installed for a while so I can't remember if it runs any faster/better...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Starting with 10.3, Apple will continue producing updates for an abandoned system if they feel it advances their agenda. In the case of 10.3, it was to perpetuate $ flowing into their pocket from the 10.3 user via iTunes store.

In the case of 10.4, it helps keep Safari marketshare up, and widens the deployment of Adobe-thwarting technology.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I do as well. First thing I checked was BBC and first video clip I trip caused a failure and its very easy to recreate.

Pleased to say that the new release has cured BBC video problems here.

Snow Leopard 10.6.5, Flash 10,1,102,64, ClickToFlash 1.5.4 (BBC site whitelisted). Safari running 64-bit, Flash 32-bit.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    So... I'm the only person to ever see the cosmetic retardation that happens (occasionally) while launching a new tab? Whole header part of Safari turns white, shifts down, content area clears out, things jump around then reorients with a new tab in place.

I suppose so, Apple still hasn't fixed it...