Apple issues iOS 4.2.1 golden master for iPhone, iPad to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued yet another iOS golden master to developers, this time dubbed iOS 4.2.1 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

People familiar with the latest software update said it is known as Build 8C148. Software that has reached the golden master status is typically final code that will be released to the public.

However, two golden masters of iOS 4.2 were issued to developers: the first one for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch on Nov. 1, and a second specifically for the iPad less than two weeks later.

Previous reports indicated that the release of iOS 4.2 was held up by issues with Wi-Fi connectivity in the first golden master. The release of numerous golden masters to developers would suggest that an issue with the software was spotted before it could be released to the public.

Some users who connected their iPhone or iPad to iTunes on Thursday were given error messages that the software update server could not be contacted. That led to some anticipation that iOS 4.2 might finally be released, though it never came to be.

Despite the numerous software updates released to developers and rumors of Wi-Fi issues, Apple has until the end of the month to meet the November launch for iOS 4.2 it promised in September. The update will mark the debut of iOS 4 on the iPad, bringing features like folders and multitasking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    Downloading now.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Golden Master doesn't seem to mean what it once did...

Looks like they'll be skipping a public release of 4.2 entirely, no?
  • Reply 3 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

Most likely. I suspect that they'll let this one go for testing and release it on the 30th. It's sometimes 2 weeks before they release the GM publicly.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    Constant improvements from Apple! Pretty cool.

Best
  • Reply 5 of 105
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    something is terribly wrong with this update, apple had plenty of time to polish it and now it has "serious" bugs??? i'm using an ipad an it's fantastic but after updating my ipod touch to 4.1 it's very difficult to go back to 3.x.x.. I just hope they fix this issue pronto and release the update..

ipad rocks!
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Most likely. I suspect that they'll let this one go for testing and release it on the 30th. It's sometimes 2 weeks before they release the GM publicly.

I can't wait for this release, the iPad will be much more attractive after this one.

Anyone know if there is support in 4.2 for an English spelling dictionary (as opposed to USA English)? It would be nice to be able to write without seeing the squiggly red lines everywhere.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Anyone know if there is support in 4.2 for an English spelling dictionary (as opposed to USA English)? It would be nice to be able to write without seeing the squiggly red lines everywhere.

Has it been taken out in previous gold masters? Works fine in iOS3.x
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:

I can't wait for this release, the iPad will be much more attractive after this one.

If you enable the "English (UK)" keyboard in Settings, does it not use a UK spelling dictionary? I just tried it on my iPhone running 4.0 and typing "colour" using the US keyboard gave me a red squiggly, but using the UK keyboard it did not.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

But yeah.. Set the language to "British English".
  • Reply 10 of 105
    I thought it was on it's way yesterday when I got a flurry of updates in the App store on my iPad. All compatible with 4.2. \

Oddly enough I'm unable to download them. Anybody experienced this?
  • Reply 11 of 105
    Quote:

Indeed. It appears now to refer to what used to be called "Release Candidate".
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

Ugh. The sun never rises on the British empire.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs;

It's called British English so as not to confuse Americans.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    Modem firmware 3.10.01. Carrier profile 9.0. So far, and expected, nothing changed that I can see on the i4.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:

I am not sure about this theory. Apple can simply issue 3rd 4.2 GM.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Be pragmatic. There's no reason for it to mean the same thing in this situation, since CDs aren't burned for distribution for products like this.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I never tried it before. Very interesting, British English gives me squiggly lines when I type 'dentist' or 'automobiles'
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:

Pretty sure the thing was designed in California, USA and not Liverpool.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Can someone just point me to an iPad 4.2.1 URL, please? Thank you.