Apple issues iOS 4.2.1 golden master for iPhone, iPad to developers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

some of us would rather that than speak US English, lol.

if you want to bring politics and war into it, maybe the imbecilic brit politicians wouldn't recently have been complicit with their equally idiotic american counterparts in the murder of thousands of innocents - if it wasn't for certain war mongering self obsessed and falsely self-righteous american politicians. oh and maybe the americans should have started fighting terrorists a few decades earlier instead of funding them in ireland.

Sorry. I agree with you but we are in a different era right now. When I was born I was named in memory of my father's best friend who died in ww2 fighting to keep us all free.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Well, write the OS yourself, release it as English, and be sure to add an "American" English keyboard for us ignorant bastards.

Exactly. If their country could make something like the iPad, THEN they can criticize the USA.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

We in America spell "Brisith" differently. I didn't realize that this was due to confusion.

it's that damn lisp...
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe hs

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

But yeah.. Set the language to "British English".

Thanks for the advice, I never tried it before. Very interesting, British English gives me squiggly lines when I type 'dentist' or 'automobiles'

Best one all day!
  • Reply 65 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And the British would be speaking German if it wasn't for the Americans.

Yes indeed.

And the Americans would too be speaking German, if not for Stalin. Just saying.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:

I owe you BIG TIME! Thank you!
  • Reply 67 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utnvols1 View Post

Thanks for the advice, I never tried it before. Very interesting, British English gives me squiggly lines when I type 'dentist' or 'automobiles'

Post of the day!
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

it's that damn lisp...

What lithp?

Thith ith thchit!

• Reply 69 of 105
    What is "other" on the iPad? It kept bloating to the point where it was 4gig. Now with the upgrade it went down to 0.42gig. Please help.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow. My comment made the whole thread go waaaay off topic I see \

What I meant by my comment was not to insult anyone but simply to point out that "British English" is a double positive, and that "English" being used to refer to the US variant of English is somewhat incorrect and that the system used in iOS 3.x (which used "English (UK)" and "English (US)") was, in my opinion, more politically correct as UK English came before US English.

It?s not redundant. English is referencing the language not the people. British is a descriptive qualifier to denote which dialect is being referenced. This is common in the English language.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

What is "other" on the iPad? It kept bloating to the point where it was 4gig. Now with the upgrade it went down to 0.42gig. Please help.

?Other" should be iOS. How it got to 4GB, i have no idea.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

Yes indeed.

And the Americans would too be speaking German, if not for Stalin. Just saying.

If you wanted to get technical we would have been speaking Roman (italian/latin?) long before that.

And if that was the case we would have just invaded France and then surrendered.

Hail Mussolini
  • Reply 73 of 105
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

?Other" should be iOS. How it got to 4GB, i have no idea.

its also, stuff like files stored in goodreader.app or MiTube.app etc.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Probably cached data for one or more of your apps.

Some GPS navigation/mapping programs will store a large amount of data locally to reduce cellular network load (MotionX GPS Drive is one example). Some of the video player apps hog up lots of space for caching/saving content. If you have a bunch of news apps, those are probably caching content for offline reading.

If you are doing any editing (documents, photos, etc.), the apps may be keeping copies of your original/edited files around, just in case. Space issues will be more critical once the iPad gains video recording/editing capabilities.

It all adds up.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In pracice, if we, Americans, are misunderstood when speaking French French -- we just repeat ourselves... speaking louder.

Edit: "The French don't care what you do, actually -- as long as you pronounce it properly! (Rex Harrison as Professor Dolittle in My Fair Lady)

Ha, so true. When I was flying home from Paris the security screener was asking me several questions about my trip. Even though she was satisfied with my answers she spent a good two minutes making repeat the name of the town where I had stayed. My pronunciation of St Amand was so bad she would not let me through until I pronounced it correctly!
  • Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You only speak English because of the English.

A lot of the English that is spoken in jolly old England is horribly accented, grammatically incorrect, and often, frustratingly difficult to comprehend.

Only a small piece of the country speaks the Queen's stuff.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I understand American Spanish, but who in the world speaks "American French"?

The French-speaking province of Quebec is in North America.

They have a very strong accent there and apparently speak some weird version of 17th century French (or so I am told).
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

Golden Master doesn't seem to mean what it once did...

Interestingly enough Apple has been using the term "golden master" to describe release candidates since the early 90s so nothing has changed.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you don't need to wait for iOS 4.2, half way through this thread is the solution for the current iPad OS

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2455605

Here's what they said

1. Go to Settings

2. Go to Keyboards

3. Select International Keyboards

4. Select 'Add new Keyboard'

5. Select 'English (UK)

6. Go back to Keyboards and Select EDIT (top right hand corner)

(you should have 2 keyboards showing now and the bottom one will be English (UK)

7. Drag that one (English (UK)) to the top - first selection

8. Go back to General

9. Select International

(made certain that Language reads ENGLISH and check that Keyboards has 2 registered and that English (UK) is still the first selection.

Thus is not the first time the Prof. has complained and instructed as you have above on how to resolve his issue.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of the English that is spoken in jolly old England is horribly accented, grammatically incorrect, and often, frustratingly difficult to comprehend.

Only a small piece of the country speaks the Queen's stuff.

A thousand years ago the English language consisted of twenty or so words. Mostly single syllable words like king, kill, meat, drink, land etc. With the influence of French brought words like democracy, government, justice, liberty, education, and literature. When these two languages intermingled we ended up with a very free form of expression where nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions were being placed at the beginning, end and middle of sentences with no apparent regard for traditional structure. After a few hundred years of this we came up with the Magna Carta and some excellent lyrics for a rap song.