Apple's next-gen world mode GSM-CDMA iPad to arrive in early 2011 - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The 3G model of Apple's next-generation iPad will be a "world mode" device with both GSM and CDMA radios, allowing Apple to sell one model for integrated wireless access, according to a new rumor.

Analyst Brian Blair from Wedge Partners said in a note to investors that Apple is developing a new iPad with a Qualcomm multimode CDMA-GSM chips built in. In the U.S., such a chip would allow the iPad to run on both AT&T and Verizon networks, which use different wireless technology.

The addition of a CDMA iPad to Apple's product line would not come as a major surprise, as Apple has already begun selling the iPad through Verizon. However, because the 3G model is not compatible with Verizon's CDMA network, the carrier offers the Wi-Fi-only model bundled with a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot for connectivity on the go.

Blair also indicated that the new iPad will be thinner and will have a forward-facing camera. In September, AppleInsider reported that Apple plans to move aggressively in pushing FaceTime, with future plans including a camera-equipped iPad.

"The new iPad is thinner than the existing model and is essentially made from one piece of metal with no pins needed," Blair wrote. "We understand it requires a new type of manufacturing process as a result, similar to the company's unibody approach seen in MacBooks."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    This makes sense since there is more real estate inside an iPad. They can use slightly bigger chips for their radio.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    It would be pretty funny if all verizon got was the iPad. I'm telling you, if they get the iPhone....they are going to rape people on charges. They will get an even bigger case of The Big Head.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    You beat me to the exact same response.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 3G model of Apple's next-generation iPad will be a "world mode" device with both GSM and CDMA radios, allowing Apple to sell one model for integrated wireless access, according to a new rumor.

I think this points toward Apple's 'cloud' music service that we've been hearing rumors of. Basically, like Pandora on your iPad, only you can get a version that will be 3G for music only. This'd be awesome -- an iPad as your music server. I've always thought Apple needed something better audio-wise to compete against Logitech's Squeezebox and the Sonos system. It could make a great stand-alone music jukebox.

I haven't bought an iPad because I have a netbook running a Logitech Squeezebox of my music collection that consists of 90GB of .flac files. If and iPad would do something similar, I'd be all over that. I've already coverted my .flac's to .m4a's for the day when the iPad gets 128GB of memory.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Yawn. The original iPad was "rumored" to be a Verizon exclusive device up until it's announcement. Actually if you remember, the Wall Street Journal "confirmed" it was a CDMA device according to their sources in the know.

Still...regardless of how unreliable any rumors involving CDMA and Verizon are...the iPad makes way more sense for them to make CDMA, since it would not suffer from having some functionality toned down.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    "The new iPad is thinner than the existing model and is essentially made from one piece of metal with no pins needed," Blair wrote. "We understand it requires a new type of manufacturing process as a result, similar to the company's unibody approach seen in MacBooks."

Does this guy even know how the current iPad is constructed?

It is already a unibody construction, one piece of metal with no pins!!!

What the hell is he talking about?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    i think apple should ditch the wifi-only version all together. sell one version starting at $499 with various storage sizes...

A 3G radio can't be that expensive. Certainly not $130. It's probably more like $2.

It will save people grief when trying to choose which they want, plus it will cut production costs and increase supply.

I guess they will lose a bit by axing the premium people pay for the 3G model now though...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

It would be pretty funny if all verizon got was the iPad. I'm telling you, if they get the iPhone....they are going to rape people on charges. They will get an even bigger case of The Big Head.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Verizon may be full of idiots, but so is every other telecom. The important thing is the idiots don't manage plan prices, they manage the company.

Verizon's iPhone plans will be identical to AT&Ts if they want ANYONE to use an iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i think apple should ditch the wifi-only version all together. sell one version starting at $499 with various storage sizes...

A 3G radio can't be that expensive. Certainly not $130. It's probably more like $2.

It will save people grief when trying to choose which they want, plus it will cut production costs and increase supply.

I guess they will lose a bit by axing the premium people pay for the 3G model now though...

I absolutely agree. I still can't get over how ridiculous the extra $130 charge is. Plus, wouldn't they want millions of iPad owners to have the option of turning on "aka" paying for 3G data?

That's where the real money is. Overcharging for wireless data. Just ask AT&T. Data plans = all of their profit from iPhone sales. They lose hundreds on the hardware. Break even with voice/text, and then finally profit from those mandatory data plans.

Problem is, Apple sees no additional profit from selling a 3G model than wifi, unless they artificially charge more. (like now) unless they have the vision to see that always-on data results in more iTunes/App store sales.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

What charges? I'm a VZW customer and have yet to be raped by the "charges" you speak of.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    my sore neck from extended ipad usage?

If it gets a camera now I'm wondering how is it going to work if I don't hold it up like a steering wheel walking downtown like I'm reading the (paper) newspaper bumping into things causing a scene and not to mention car / pedestrian accidents.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I absolutely agree. I still can't get over how ridiculous the extra $130 charge is.

And, yet, most reports say that about 1/2 of users are buying the 3G version.

You should really learn some basic economics. Selling price is not determined by cost. Rather, it is determined by what the market will pay. And since 1/2 of users are buying the 3G, clearly, the market is willing to pay $130.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Radio, huh. I'd like to see Radio get the full Apple treatment. This new iPad sounds like it's worth waiting for.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Off with his head!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Interesting that most of the iPad killers are priced higher.

Yet, you in your profound wisdom, would be able to research, design, create, license, manufacture, market, sell, distribute, service and support your dual radio multi-language, FCC-approved iPaddie for less.

Perhaps you could let us in on your magic formula.

We're waiting, waiting, waiting…

P.S. So is Balmer. Problem is, his photocopiers are probably on standby.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    This report is highly suspect.

A CDMA-GSM chip would be useless for the iPad. GSM is a 2G technology. What Apple would need would be a CDMA-HSPA (or HSPA+) multimode chip.

Either this rumor is B.S. or AppleInsider doesn't know squat about mobile telephony technology.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

I noticed this too. I don't see how anyone can take the report seriously when this complete fantasy statement is tacked on the end of it.

He might just as well as finished by saying "And I know this to be true because the gremlins that live in my ear told me so." It would make as much sense.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Man, I really hate these "Analyst" they do not know crap.

I would like to see a lighter iPad. But they would probably have to shrink the battery and maybe remove glass for plastic. The case is already very strong and light
  • Reply 19 of 43
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

my sore neck from extended ipad usage?

If it gets a camera now I'm wondering how is it going to work if I don't hold it up like a steering wheel walking downtown like I'm reading the (paper) newspaper bumping into things causing a scene and not to mention car / pedestrian accidents.

The front camera would presumably be useful for video conferencing, which you would typically be seated for. And if you have one of those awesome Apple iPad cases, you could stand it up on a desk in front of you and not have to hold it.

Thompson
  • Reply 20 of 43
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This report is highly suspect.

A CDMA-GSM chip would be useless for the iPad. GSM is a 2G technology. What Apple would need would be a CDMA-HSPA (or HSPA+) multimode chip.

Either this rumor is B.S. or AppleInsider doesn't know squat about mobile telephony technology.

AppleInsider was just reporting the contents of a research note by an analyst. If this is evidence of someone not knowing squat, then you can blame the analyst.

Thompson