Reviewers find Google's answer to Apple TV chaotic, complicated

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Like many that have posted here, I did not see any reason to get ATV. After all, I have 2 TiVO HD units which stream Netflx pretty well. But at $99, I figured I'd give it a shot, just for grins. While I am a big TiVO fan, their implementation of Netflix, while adequate comes nowhere close to what you get with ATV. Things like ff/rw work really well on ATV whereas are really hit or miss on TiVO. Also, you can search and watch instantly on ATV without having to go through the computer first.

This confirms my expectations. Our digital lives have evolved in such a way, particularly with the advent of reliable streaming, that a little-percieved void has been created that multiple devices have been (clumsily) filling for us, but TV spans this void by design, and does so with Apple's usual panache. And like you said, for only $99, there's little reason not to fit TV into one's digital life and see how it performs.

Quote:

My college age son has indicated that once live sports is available to be streamed, perhaps with a NFL/MLB type app, he will probably give up cableTV in favor an ATV device. I am unlikely to go this route since I would rather not have to wait close to a year to watch my favorite cabletv shows such as "Weeds", "Dexter" etc.

I agree; I can't see myself completely unplugging from Verizon FiOS just yet.

Quote:

I ended up getting a Mac Mini to use as a headless media server. All of our iTunes content is stored on it, and it runs headless and streams to the various Macs and the ATV, plus is backed up using TimeCapsule.

That's a good idea I hadn't really considered. I've been planning to upgrade my home computer for a while and one of the considerations was storage space for my ever-expanding iTunes library. I'll look into that option when I get closer to replacing my current gear.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I never got PIP when it started as a fad in the 80's, and I really don't get it today. I would much rather leave the content of what I am watching front and center, and do supplemental activities like search on a secondary device. Only google would have the hubris to emphasize search over the content you are watching

PinP is a pre-DVR technology. You put the commercials in the little window and watch something else until they are over. They you switch back to the regular channel.

In addition to PinP, my old TV also did split screen and other configurations which were handy for various purposes. For example, one kid watched TV while the other used the XBOX.

It is not a fad - it has been an available feature for decades.
  • Reply 103 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Yep. That's the difference between Google and Apple in this case - Apple will play nice with the studios, whereas Google is trying to overtake them. That's why Apple's method will probably win out in the end.

Apple is well known for playing nicely with their partners.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    Interesting (sarcasm) posts on here but I doubt most of them are from people have used the Google TV. I've been accused of being an Apple fan boy due to owning so many of their products. And while I'm an owner of the now "old" ATV, I was disappointed by the direction the new iteration went in.

When Google TV came out, I was interested but also confused about exactly what it would and wouldn't do. Well, since I'm a Dish TV customer and Dish allows the Logitech Revue to interface with their DVR's AND is selling the Revue for $179, I bit. The main thing I was looking forward to was a better/easier interface than the DVR. Here's what I've found so far:

* Set up was extremely easy. You definitely don't need to be a "geek."

* The Dish DVR and Logitech Revue communicate seemlessly. They seem to be a part of each other and don't interfere with one another.

* I like hitting the little search button on the keyboard and typing "Myth" for example, and a list pops up showing a folder with all my episodes of mythbusters on my DVR, future shows coming up, an area to search the web for it and a couple other options.

* Searching for a sporting event is a lot easier than doing it through the DVR remote.

* Generally very pleased with the web performance with the one caveat that the bookmarks are stored outside of Chrome and back on the GTV homepage. But web pages are easy to read and resize as there is a dedicated button on the keyboard.

* The keyboard is VERY light, responsive and easy to use. The track pad also works well. Dragging two fingers on it lets you scroll web pages.

The one bad thing I can mention is that there is no Gmail app. I assumed that there would be and that maybe I could even set it up to display a little box showing when I get an email from someone. But there is no such app. You can access it through the browser but that takes too many clicks. In fact, there are very few apps. Not even a little weather app. If apps or widgets are what you're looking for, GTV doesn't have them yet. If you're looking for DVR interface and light web browsing, it is good.

GTV is still in its infancy but so far I like it a lot. The price was reasonable and performance has been perfect. Not laggy at all. I had REALLY hoped ATV would eventually partner with Dish, DirectTV and cable and interface with them but alas they have not. I also don't like that the new ATV doesn't allow me to store my media on it, but rather I must have my computer on all the time.

Anyway, just my two cents from someone that is currently using both...although my ATV is getting much less use these days. Hoping Apple will step it up here
  • Reply 105 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

WebTV tried it, they failed, were bought by Microsoft who...

WebTV was in the early 90's when the internet was in its infancy and everyone had extremely slow dial up and no wifi. That makes quite a big difference.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

GTV is still in its infancy but so far I like it a lot.

Do they pay you to post here?
  • Reply 107 of 107
    The ability to stream from my iTunes media collection to my living room, using either my iPod Touch as a remote, or the TV interface by itself, is well worth the $99 price of admission for the TV. The rest is just bonus.

Those of you who think the TV is a useless or underfeatured device for that price must have really shitty iTunes media collections. You're the same people who don't understand the iPad and you're the same people who think Android is better than iOS. If you built your media collection around iTunes, you would understand all of these things immediately.

Now, if only I could buy the TV in Hong Kong for less than $150...

Anyone traveling from the US to Hong Kong? I'd be willing to pay you $120 to bring me one.