New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

1151617181921»

Comments

• Reply 401 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

i dont know why so many people are anti the tech when it doesn't hurt anyone by giving the option on pro models and more.

Hurts Apple. Hurts usability.

Quote:

and for those people griping about battery life on BD playback. bah! use a power cord. and there are plenty of models with better batter life also

If they wanted to use a power cord, they wouldn't have bought a laptop. It's pretty simple to understand.
  • Reply 402 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Second, where's the part where the iPad or iPhone walks up and says, "physical media, how quaint. I downloaded Toy Story 3 in the airport before the flight."

I haven't bought, rented or even played a DVD of any kind in months.I had been renting netfilx disks and ripping them to my mac (oh, is that illegal?) until I realized I wasnt watching them either. Its pretty much an "on demand" world for me now and I couldnt care less if Macs have BluRay. Even for back-up purposes it doesnt make any sense. 2 T-byte HDs for $100? Buy 4, create your own RAID. I swap my backup drives out with clones I keep in a fire safe box every couple of weeks.

BR DVDs can be found at CVS right next to the mustache wax.
  • Reply 403 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

The SU9400 clocks in below the Core i5 520UM and the Core i3 380UM. The D525 is slower than the Inteo Core Solo T1300 and the Intel Mobile Pentium 4 532.

the Atom gets ~700 passmarks

the Su9400 in the MBA gets ~900 marks, the AMD K635 CPU found in lots of netbooks is actaully identical in performance, some things it can do better, some things it does worse, netbook performance for $1000 is sad

the $999 Asus N series get ~3600 marks

my point being, something that costs approx the same as the ipad, is on par with a $999 mba, the Asus 1215n is faster at wow on default settings than the mba
  • Reply 404 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

First, you're wrong. Video compression has improved greatly over time and the space needed for a video of equal size and quality has decreased over time.

Second, you missed my point. Until now the quality of video content and the bloat that goes along with it has been permitted to increase because storage mediums were also able to increase at the same rate. We are now reaching a transition point there the need to increase quality and bloat is gone and the focus will shift to improving efficiency and saving space and resources. Nature finds a way. Whether it be streaming, compression, or other methods the content will change and adapt to the storage options available on mobile or connected devices.

sure, but that doesnt mean that currently streaming media or DLC is equivalent to BD quality

BD formats are already super compressed (uncompressed they are several TB), how much more do you think you can compress it?
  • Reply 405 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post

the Asus 1215n is faster at wow on default settings than the mba

You'll have to provide a link for that given the 3DMark06 benchmarks for the MBA are much higher.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371199,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/a...-1215n-review/

Given that Apple doesn't compete on price that the Air is more expensive than other laptops which are faster isn't much news.
  • Reply 406 of 410
    The fact is that most people don't know BR from DVD so what does it matter? Most people watch the movie the airline shows if at all. So MS can be 100% accurate on this but what it means in sales is so small that I bet that even people who should care, don't. Really asked yourselves how many computers are chosen because they can be used to watch a BR movie on an airplane?
  • Reply 407 of 410
    The fact is that most people don't know BR from DVD so what does it matter? Most people watch the movie the airline shows if at all. So MS can be 100% accurate on this but what it means in sales is so small that I bet that even people who should care, don't. Really ask yourselves, how many computers are chosen because they can be used to watch a BR movie on an airplane?
  • Reply 408 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

You'll have to provide a link for that given the 3DMark06 benchmarks for the MBA are much higher.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371199,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/a...-1215n-review/

Given that Apple doesn't compete on price that the Air is more expensive than other laptops which are faster isn't much news.

i guess i was looking at the wrong laptop when i saw the benchmarks, a cheaper 12" eeepc is the faster one in WOW, not the 1215n,

laptop mag redid the benchmark results after updates as there was some bug fixes, now the air gets the same FPS as the 1201N

the 1201N currently costs $399, the 1215n costs $499

either way, the MBA is just slow as hell, the alienware 11" laptop gets longer battery life and over 200FPS being the same price.

• Reply 409 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks like Apple choose wisely yet again. Funny how they keep doing that. It’s almost like they have more experience and knowledge than posters on internet forums.
  • Reply 410 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It looks like Apple choose wisely yet again. Funny how they keep doing that. It?s almost like they have more experience and knowledge than posters on internet forums.

Ooooooooooh!