Apple makes Find My iPhone service free for iOS devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced that Find My iPhone (and iPad, and iPod touch) is now free to use without a MobileMe subscription, allowing users to locate their lost iOS device at no extra cost.

The service is free to any iPhone 4, iPad or latest-generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2, which will be released on Monday. The "Find My" functionality is built in to the new mobile operating system update.

Previously, Find My iPhone was only available to iOS users who had a MobileMe subscription for $99 per year. It also required the use of a free application from the App Store.

Users set up MobileMe using the Settings application on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. The feature can be accessed in "Mail, Contacts and Calendars."

From there, select "Add Account" and choose "MobileMe." Users must enter their Apple ID and password, which is the same as an iTunes Store account used to download content from iTunes, or applications from the App Store.

Users must then verify their account via e-mail. After the account is verified, returning to the MobileMe screen in Settings will show a switch, allowing users to turn on "Find My iPhone."

After Find My iPhone is set up, it can be tested by signing in to me.com from a computer. From there, users can see the location of their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on a map. The service also allows the device owner to display a message or set a passcode lock.

Apple has been rumored to make at least some features of MobileMe free for basic users. More evidence of a free tier for MobileMe appeared last week, when an error message referencing "free MobileMe service" was discovered in the iOS 4.2.1 beta issued to developers.

While MobileMe runs $99 a year, since 2008 Apple has offered a free 60-day trial of its service. While Find My iPhone is now free, the remainder of the MobileMe service -- including mail, contacts, calendars and photos -- remains subscription-only.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    This is wonderful news.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Doesn't work for me yet, anyone else have it working?
  • Reply 3 of 88
    maybe apple just want to keep tabs on where everyone's at...
  • Reply 4 of 88
    So I downloaded it, but it's still asking me to sign up for Mobile Me's 60-day trial.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So I downloaded it, but it's still asking me to sign up for Mobile Me's 60-day trial.

I don't think your phone is running iOS 4.2?
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Doesn't work for me yet, anyone else have it working?

It requires iOS 4.2.1 ! Why would you expect it to work yet?
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Ok, this is great and all, BUT... I considered the capability of being able to find my lost or misplaced iPhone the tipping point for paying $99 a year. Now that's it's free, the decision to keep paying Apple the $99 is hanging in the balance... Anyone else feel that way?
  • Reply 8 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I don't think your phone is running iOS 4.2?

I've been running 4.2.1 GM since last week. Maybe just they are just waiting until they version is publically available worldwide.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

It requires iOS 4.2.1 ! Why would you expect it to work yet?

I have that actually, thanks though, and have been for weeks as I am part of the Apple Developers.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Quote:

I've been running 4.2.1 GM since last week.

Okay.

Still, it's probably something that is being rolled out with the general release. I would imagine that there's no cause for alarm unless it continues beyond today.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    From here:

http://www.apple.com/ios/

Quote:
    1. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, AirPrint, and VoiceOver are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later).

2. Multitasking is available with apps that have been developed to work with iOS 4.

3. You can create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) running iOS 4.2. Once you create an account on a qualifying device, use your Apple ID and password to enable Find My iPhone on your other devices running iOS 4.2. Find My iPhone is not available in all countries.

4. Game Center works with apps that have been developed to work with the Game Center service.

• Reply 12 of 88
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I've been running 4.2.1 GM since last week. Maybe just they are just waiting until they version is publically available worldwide.

Yep, version 1.1 isn't out yet...
  • Reply 13 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if they will end up changing it from Find My iPhone to Change my iDevice or something more generalized the way they evnetually changed OS X iPhone and iPhone OS to iOS.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    Everything is working now on the iPhone & iPad but me.com is down.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if they will end up changing it from Find My iPhone to Change my iDevice or something more generalized the way they evnetually changed OS X iPhone and iPhone OS to iOS.

Yes it says Find my iPad on the iPad
  • Reply 16 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fumosus View Post

Ok, this is great and all, BUT... I considered the capability of being able to find my lost or misplaced iPhone the tipping point for paying $99 a year. Now that's it's free, the decision to keep paying Apple the $99 is hanging in the balance... Anyone else feel that way?

I agree. As a loyal buyer of everything Apple since the first launch of OSX I feel a little let down that the company hasn't taken an opportunity to reward it's most loyal 'mobile me' or '.mac ' customer base. I know we get a cool e-mail address and one or two other neat storage features ... but kinda feel that Apple has lost an opportunity (over recent years) to offer greater reasons to sign up to Mobile.me. Apple could have given product discounts or greater incentives to sign up. This latest move to allow a previous 'find my phone' feature to anybody with the latest iphone, touch and iOS2 simply means less people will renew their annual subscribtion.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    I got it to work on my iPad, but on my iPhone 3GS it says the phone is not eligible for a free MobileMe account.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    HA! After creating an eligible free MobileMe account on the iPad, I tried again with the iPhone 3GS and now it works Hehehe
  • Reply 19 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is interesting. I would have thought that Find My iPhone would have been the one service they would have coveted to keep users interested in buying MobileMe.

This tells me that the need to make iOS devices more appealing is more pressing to Apple and that simply allowing some MobileMe data syncing simply wasnt? going to cut it.

Now I wonder if Apple will best RiM in smartphone unit sales this holiday quarter and how many Android-based devices are being activated each day now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Yes it says Find my iPad on the iPad

Nice. Thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fumosus View Post

Yes, they now need to drop MobileMe to <%50/year or watch people drop MobileMe. I have had it for 4 years or so and I've waited for them to make me feel special .... not yet.