Apple makes Find My iPhone service free for iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Yes, they now need to drop MobileMe to <%50/year or watch people drop MobileMe. I have had it for 4 years or so and I've waited for them to make me feel special .... not yet.

No one should ever expect others to make them feel special. People need to find their self esteem internally, not through the actions of others.

This does MobileMe as a service less necessary, but at $60/year it is surely still worth the expense for what I user it for.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    I see that while giving away the Mobile Me Photo Gallery & Find My iPhone/iPad for free there has not been anything added to those of us that have had our subscriptions for years.

So basically we now get less for our subsciption dollars. Some people will have paid the $99 just for the services that are now free. Is $99 a year value for money for web based mail, contacts, calendar & 10GB of online storage?

I dont think so
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james99 View Post

I agree. As a loyal buyer of everything Apple since the first launch of OSX I feel a little let down that the company hasn't taken an opportunity to reward it's most loyal 'mobile me' or '.mac ' customer base. I know we get a cool e-mail address and one or two other neat storage features ... but kinda feel that Apple has lost an opportunity (over recent years) to offer greater reasons to sign up to Mobile.me. Apple could have given product discounts or greater incentives to sign up. This latest move to allow a previous 'find my phone' feature to anybody with the latest iphone, touch and iOS2 simply means less people will renew their annual subscribtion.

For my wife and me the ability to sync our calendars and have a cloud based backup solution is worth the $140 annual charge although we'd certainly appreciate if it were free or considerably cheaper.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

For my wife and me the ability to sync our calendars and have a cloud based backup solution is worth the $140 annual charge although we'd certainly appreciate if it were free or considerably cheaper.

Brilliant post.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

You can sync your calendars to Google for free!
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Can someone explain to me why--outside of simple greed--Apple is restricting this service to iPhone 4 users only? I can't think of any technical reason why the 3GS would be excluded.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apl1019 View Post

Can someone explain to me why--outside of simple greed--Apple is restricting this service to iPhone 4 users only? I can't think of any technical reason why the 3GS would be excluded.

This is your first post -- not a good way to start.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    What happens when you locate your stolen iphone? Do you confront the thief? lol
  • Reply 29 of 88
    I think that eventually Mobile Me will be free, but Apple is very wisely rolling out the services one at a time.

Do you remember what it was like when they first launched Mobile Me? It was a disaster. I still remember sitting in an airport somewhere trying to get all my contacts back after some screw up. It took Apple weeks to clean things up.

I've had no complaints since then with Mobile Me, but would be frightened if they decided to add millions of new users with full features all at one time.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is interesting. I would have thought that Find My iPhone would have been the one service they would have coveted to keep users interested in buying MobileMe.

This tells me that the need to make iOS devices more appealing is more pressing to Apple and that simply allowing some MobileMe data syncing simply wasnt’ going to cut it.

Maybe it has to do with capturing unique customers.

The value of iTunes is the millions of accounts, most with credit cards attached. This would give them a big boost in numbers in that it would capture a lot of users that didn't have a credit card attached, but still owned a device. It would also tell Apple a lot, about a lot of users they didn't have info on before.

I agree that it's surprising though. They really do have to increase the value proposition now to stop bleeding of the paid members.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Had it right last week that The Beatles were coming to iTunes so I'm hoping that this guess is also right: I think MobileMe will become free soon for everybody. That's maybe what this server-farm is for. Would be a smart next step for Apple in the mobile market.

[Hadn't seen TalkingNewMedia when I wrote this.]
  • Reply 32 of 88
    For those wanting to save money on Mobile Me

Family Pack for $76.50

Mobile Me Individual for $59.99
  • Reply 33 of 88
    for the record the entire MobileMe site is down with maintenace at the moment
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Works now.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    I just recently lost my iPhone 4, which changed to stolen the moment someone realized it was active, answered a call to try to locate it, and shut it off immediately.

It's brilliant that law enforcment can get a subpeona and find the phone, on or not, but I can't track my own phone if someone turns it off.

So, in conclusion, find my iphone is a useless function on a hot commodity.

By the way, did anyone know that AT&T now not only offers insurance on the iPhones, but also, as of 9 days ago, is allowing early adopters to add that insurance to their plans?

No, I didn't think so. I learned this while reporting my phone stolen.

$12/month and it has to be initiated from the phone.

God, I LOVE AT&T!
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Works now.

Really? I'm still getting redirected to apple's maintenance site when i go there
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is interesting. I would have thought that Find My iPhone would have been the one service they would have coveted to keep users interested in buying MobileMe.

This tells me that the need to make iOS devices more appealing is more pressing to Apple and that simply allowing some MobileMe data syncing simply wasnt? going to cut it.

Now I wonder if Apple will best RiM in smartphone unit sales this holiday quarter and how many Android-based devices are being activated each day now.

Does that necessarily follow... or does Apple have other Cloud service shoes to drop?

BTW, does Google offer an equivalent service to Find My iPhone -- would you trust them to to be able to find and manipulate your Android device?

• Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousg3orge View Post

I see that while giving away the Mobile Me Photo Gallery & Find My iPhone/iPad for free there has not been anything added to those of us that have had our subscriptions for years.

So basically we now get less for our subsciption dollars. Some people will have paid the $99 just for the services that are now free. Is $99 a year value for money for web based mail, contacts, calendar & 10GB of online storage?

I dont think so

If you buy ten apples at the grocery store, then the grocer gives someone else an apple for free, does that mean that you now have only nine apples?
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you buy ten apples at the grocery store, then the grocer gives someone else an apple for free, does that mean that you now have only nine apples?

That's the inherient selfishness of a Positional Good. He thinks he's getting less service because it's not as "elitist" as it was before he woke up today. Same mentality with those that complain about their nearly new computers being "obsolete" because a new model dropped.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Really? I'm still getting redirected to apple's maintenance site when i go there

Well I was able to signup for the find my iPhone feature. I still can't access me.com.