Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 276
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

I mean more then just the main home screen. Like the icons along the bottom and the screens to the right and left of the home screen.

OK I have read your replies to others and understand what you mean somewhat. Let me tell you this: it's a pretty weak argument for your big shout about android is all about choice.

First off you can't blame Apple for your lack of research before you bought your iPod Touch, can you? What you said is a known fact.

Secondly, Yes I can customize my homescreen to anything I want and I'm pretty happy with it, I can do it right there on my device or on iTunes if I choose to do so. Once customized everything is in sync.

Does it have live information like Andorid or WP7, of course not. Not a deal breaker for me. Every system has its quirk and if I want I can show you the flaw of Android very easily. And better yet, live information will come, sooner or later. Right now the most important thing for us who use iPhone as a tool to help us is a simplicity of the system. The way you can plug-in your iPhone to computer when you got back home from work and it will call iTunes up, back up your data, sync everything (and I mean "everything") and even charge the phone without a single buttone pushed, the way I can have a peace of mind for at least a couple of years for an OS upgrade, the way the battery last you a whole day...

...and how fast and reliable the system is.

Checking weather? Oh yeah...I'm just a second or so slower than you. Big deal!

No, iOS is not for everyone but again your example is pretty weak if that's your argument for "Android is choice".

Heck, I can customize my Windows any which way I want on my PC and I still can't remember when the last time I changed my desktop background, let alone doing anything else.

How about when Google forced Motorola to cease to use some company's map database as planned? Is that the way the supposedly "all-about-choices" system behaves?
  • Reply 262 of 276
    Excellent article! Just thought I would mention that.
  • Reply 263 of 276
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

tell me something i don't know.

Android = the Windows of mobile.

Seems to be Android is more akin to "the Linux of mobile," while WP7 is more akin to "the Windows of mobile."
  • Reply 264 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Seems to be Android is more akin to "the Linux of mobile," while WP7 is more akin to "the Windows of mobile."

True that.

Apple is more like the "Apple of mobile", Windows is like the "Windows of mobile" and Android is like the "Linux of mobile".

Not that I think mobile sales will reflect PC market share.
  • Reply 265 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

But you can't have any live information up on your iOS home page/desktop. No clock large and centre (as opposed to the tiny one in the top-right). No notifications. No RSS feeds. No to-dos. No Calendar. Oops! This is one thing that Android and Windows Phone 7 have got right relative to the iPhone. It's a relatively easy thing for Apple to fix so here's hoping they do in iOS 5.

The iPhone has push notification and I only need to touch my calendar app to fire it up. Maybe 2 seconds slower than you but who cares?

The iPhone time is not at the top right but in the centre of te status bar. Try doing some research on iOS before you fandriods come here and boast about the crap OS you're so proud off.
  • Reply 266 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

LOLWAT?

If there was a paid version im sure it would sell immensely, but Rovio seems to have been extremely smart and gone the Ad route, which loads an ad on every new stage as you proceed and i believe every other retry. I dont care for Angry Birds because i dont find it to be that great a game but if your average person plays 10-20 minutes a day with a few retries, and there are im sure well over 2+ million players on Android they can easily make much more money than they ever did on iOS.

Also this isnt a fragmentation issue, its a performance one. People reporting issues are those running low tier phones and those listed by Rovio are:

Droid Eris

HTC Dream

HTC Hero/T-Mobile G2 Touch

HTC Magic/Sapphire/Mytouch 3G

HTC Tattoo

HTC Wildfire

Huawei Ideos/U8150

LG Ally/Aloha/VS740

LG GW620/Eve

Motorola Backflip/MB300

Motorola Cliq/Dext

Samsung Acclaim

Samsung Moment/M900

Samsung Spica/i5700

Samsung Transform

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini

T-Mobile G1

If anyone hasnt noticed, these are all old budget phones that have incredibly weak hardware (all of these listed are ARM11 phones with poor GPUs) and as such the games dont run exactly spectacular on them.

Now im sure some astute people will notice that these phones are roughly on par spec wise with the iPhone 3G. Unfortunately Rovio decided for the Android version of Angry Birds to code in OpenGL ES 2.0 while the iOS version runs on OpenGL ES 1.1 (obviously to grab the entire iOS userbase since the 2G/3G don't support it) and thus isnt as intense on the hardware.

This is not the same fragmentation that Android haters love to throw around, it simply doesnt run good on slow hardware. Its like expecting a netbook to perform like a Mac Pro would, lets just be real here, its not gonna happen. This is a side effect of being able to chose what you want.

Some of these phones just came out!! I am putting new games on my nephews Original iPhone and he is playing them with no issues. The droid 2 came out just 8 months after the original, Why??? because it was already showing signs of age. I have had my iPhone 3gs for almost a year and a half and it is still rockin!!
  • Reply 267 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

The iPhone has push notification and I only need to touch my calendar app to fire it up. Maybe 2 seconds slower than you but who cares?

The iPhone time is not at the top right but in the centre of te status bar. Try doing some research on iOS before you fandriods come here and boast about the crap OS you're so proud off.

You do realize he's a moderator?
  • Reply 268 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

not really.

Linux = stable and reliable

Windows = crappy and insecure

Android = crappy and insecure

so No. Android is NOT the linux of mobile.

Android is the WINDOWS of mobile.
  • Reply 269 of 276
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

Ooooh, I forgot the position of the time in iOS! That completely blew my point to pieces, didn't it?

You make a lot of assumptions. I have neither an iPhone (my partner does, however) or an Android phone or a Windows Phone 7 phone or in fact any kind of smartphone. However, this doesn't prevent me from being able to objectively compare the features of each platform. Support for live widgets on the home page/desktop is an obvious advantage of Android and Windows Phone 7.
  • Reply 270 of 276
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

so No. Android is NOT the linux of mobile.

Er, you do realise that Android uses a modified Linux kernel?
  • Reply 271 of 276
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Some people don't like to risk bricking their phones. Once you've jailbroken, is it easy to update to future versions of iOS, or do you have to jump through hoops to do it?

iOS could clearly use improvements on notifications and home screen functionality. I suspect they will come in the next major release if not sooner.

Nevertheless, if it came down to forgoing the high quality app ecosystem of iOS just for home screen customizability, I'd either jailbreak or just not sweat it.
  • Reply 272 of 276
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

not really.

Linux = failure on the desktop (i.e. when used by normal humans).

Saying Android is the Windows of mobile is being nice to Android in assuming it isn't an epic fail unlike desktop linux. Linux's primary claim to fame is dominance in web servers.

Calling it the linux of mobile is more accurate in that it is linux but also unfairly derogatory...

Quote:

Er, you do realise that Android uses a modified Linux kernel?

And it killed all the other linux phones pretty much instantly on general release.
  • Reply 273 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

OK I have read your replies to others and understand what you mean somewhat. Let me tell you this: it's a pretty weak argument for your big shout about android is all about choice.

I'm not shouting about Android being about choice. I'm just saying that what people are calling fragmentation is really about choice. I have no problem with it and one of those choices is the iPhone which is an excellent phone.

Quote:

First off you can't blame Apple for your lack of research before you bought your iPod Touch, can you? What you said is a known fact.

I'm not blaming Apple for anything and I am an Apple user. I am just saying that I used my iPod Touch to see if it would be good enough for me to switch to an iPhone. It wasn't, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the iPhone. It just means there are things that I want, that the iPhone doesn't provide. I am quite happy using my iPod Touch and Android phone each day. In fact if you measure the time used, I use my iPod Touch more each day then my phone.

Quote:

Secondly, Yes I can customize my homescreen to anything I want and I'm pretty happy with it, I can do it right there on my device or on iTunes if I choose to do so. Once customized everything is in sync.

The key phrase here is anything "you" want. I can't.

Quote:

Checking weather? Oh yeah...I'm just a second or so slower than you. Big deal!

I just used weather as an example. I don't care about weather. I like having my appointments and todo's right there visible. It is a big deal for me and why I chose an Android device (the 4.3" screen helped me decide also).

I am a daily Apple user. I sync with iTunes daily. I just happen to have an Android phone and I don't mind if there are even more devices out there to choose from. Bring them on. My phone plan expires in 18 months.

Now if Apple would come out with a 5" iPhone on Verizon with Cydia like features, I'd be all over it.
  • Reply 274 of 276
    Quote:

Not really.

Windows = crappy and insecure

Android = crappy and insecure

So No. Android is NOT the linux of mobile. Android is the WINDOWS of mobile.

Nope.

No mobile OS is completely the same as any desktop OS, but if we have to draw a comparison then Android is definitely the Linux of mobile... in as much as there isn't really such a thing as Linux per se but distributions of Linux.

Linux is a mixed bag. So is Android.
  • Reply 275 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

If I were an android fan, I would be pretty pissed about the fragmentation, and how some developers have no choice but to develop for the lowest common denominator.

I'd probably be so mad, dammit, that I would post vitriolic messages on iOS forums disparaging iPhones and Apple products in general.

Oh wait ...

lulz!