Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 81 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't upgrade right now but can anyone see if the AirPrint hack for 10.6.5 still works?

Don't want to update iTunes?
  • Reply 82 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Not all of us are pirates. Grow up.

Guess what, assholes.... Im a jailbreaker, but I don't have any pirated apps. Any apps that requires a jailbreak to run, Ive paid for.
  • Reply 83 of 217
    What's the update in the article?
  • Reply 84 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Guess what, assholes.... Im a jailbreaker, but I don't have any pirated apps. Any apps that requires a jailbreak to run, Ive paid for.

Even the free ones?
  • Reply 85 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Even the free ones?

Especially the free ones.
  • Reply 86 of 217
    Warning: the initial back-up takes a long time -- presumably because it is backing up the updated OS for the first time.

But everything seems to be there OK.

I can't used AirPrint because I own Epson printers, but the Epson app still works fine, but if you try and shut down the app it will (of course) stop the printing. In other words, no background printing on an iPad.

Could someone test out AirPrint and tell us if going into another app while printing stops the printing? Thanks.
  • Reply 87 of 217
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The update progress bar on my iPad is stuck with about 3% left to go, and iTunes reported that this iPad can't be backed up. Any suggestions?

Reject iPad and try again?
  • Reply 88 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Jailbreakers are pirates.

Yes you're trolling, but I'll feed ye anyway. My 3.x iPhone was jailbroken, and I never pirated an app. I loved rotate-lock and the ability to quickly enable/disable certain radios, and also the ability to ssh into and out of my phone. Jailbreaking made my device much more useful and, in my case, no developers lost a ¢ nor a £ due to my phone's enhanced state. I installed 4.x fresh and do miss the jailbreak; I've just not gotten around to doing it again.
  • Reply 89 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Don't want to update iTunes?

No not that. I'm at work. I have some apps and content to sync back to my iMac at home.
  • Reply 90 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The choice of the term Lion is very symbolic. I felt that 10.7 would be the last iteration of OSX before they announced it, the name simply feels like confirmation to me.

There are plenty of reasons to expect Lion to be the last version of OSX:

1) iOS is going to gain more and more features over the next few years, bringing it closer and closer to the capabilities of OSX.

2) Mobile hardware will become much more capable over the next few years, allowing the hardware to run a full desktop OS.

3) The OSX UI is getting more and more features and not all work that well together. It feels unfocused and inconsistent and will continue to feel that way until they start with a clean slate and drop some of the older UI elements. Lion appears to be the testing ground for some iPad friendly elements that may eventually for the primary means of navigation on the mac.

4) Windows 8 is supposed to be Microsoft's first OS really designed around touch. it should be out around the same time as Apple's next release after Lion.

5) Macs and iPhones running the same OS would instantly destroy Microsofts desktop OS near monopoly. Add a desktop version of Android (not Chrome) into the mix and things get really interesting.

I agree with your five points, but I don't think any of them really ensure or even imply that Lion will be the last of OS-X. They are mostly just good reasons to blend the two OS's and the only one that hints at an actual time line (4), is probably the dodgiest of the lot.

OS-X is a huge hit for Apple and the thing that drives their entire business. I don't see them dropping the brand as lightly as others seem to think they will. OS-XI or "OS 11" has no cache and no brand attachments.

Apple would be stupid IMO to drop the OS-X brand until they absolutely have no other choice. It would be a similar gaffe to Microsoft renaming Windows on some kind of whim, in order to look more modern or something. There is a reason that MS put's "windows" in front of everything and it's the same reason the OS-X brand won't be changing any time real soon.
  • Reply 91 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree with your five points, but I don't think any of them really ensure or even imply that Lion will be the last of OS-X. They are mostly just good reasons to blend the two OS's and the only one that hints at an actual time line (4), is probably the dodgiest of the lot.

OS-X is a huge hit for Apple and the thing that drives their entire business. I don't see them dropping the brand as lightly as others seem to think they will. OS-XI or "OS 11" has no cache and no brand attachments.

Apple would be stupid IMO to drop the OS-X brand until they absolutely have no other choice. It would be a similar gaffe to Microsoft renaming Windows on some kind of whim, in order to look more modern or something. There is a reason that MS put's "windows" in front of everything and it's the same reason the OS-X brand won't be changing any time real soon.

Sort of sucks when your naming scheme runs into a brick wall. 10.9.99 here we come. Or will it be OS X 11?
  • Reply 92 of 217
    Streamed video from native video app, no problem.

Could not stream from vlc app, even though control is there. ( Didn't expect it to work)

Streamed photos from photo app. But not video in photo app. Surprised at that.

Video podcast streamed fine. Still streaming via multi-task as I post this. Leo Laporte's TWIT.
  • Reply 93 of 217
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Perhaps a little reading is in order. http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Multitaski...-or-iPod-Touch

Although there is concern that the recently used 'list' can get quite lengthy, the list is chronologically sorted from the left. For example, if you were using your Address Book and switched to another app, the Address Book icon moves forward to the right side of the iPod icon, which never moves. Choosing another app and your last app moves in between your iPod and your Address Book.

Obviously, it is then very simple to remove less frequently used apps, starting at the far right side of the list.

BTW,
    Quote:

Apps must be compatible with the iPhone for the multitasking to work. This means that the apps must be updated [by the developer] with the proper code. You'll know if your app is configured by whether or not it picks up from where you left off.

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Multitaski...-or-iPod-Touch

• Reply 94 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

Where are my LIVE WIDGETS??? I'm sick and tired of looking at those glossy icons!!!! They don't show me anything useful.

I still can't view important calendar entries on the lock screen! A MUST ON ANY SMART PHONE!!! How bout a calendar widget?

E-mails are not supported on the lock screen as are calls or txts. Why?

Time should be visible on standby mode, aka like in the Nokia N8.

The iPhone is great, but it has some serious shortcomings that sometimes makes me want to throw it out the window. SOMEBODY WITH SOME SERIOUS PULL AT APPLE BETTER TELL JOBS THAT HIS IPHONE IS STILL LACKING!!!

LIVE WIDGETS suck the life out of a Battery. A co-worker has android with LIVE WIDGETS and he is constantly worrying about battery life.

Lock Screen - with email and calendar info - Don't want it... that is personal / secure info that I DON"T WANT ON A LOCK SCREEN.

Time would be nice to have... but not critical.

Get a Nokia N8 if this is critical to you.
  • Reply 95 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Reject iPad and try again?

Pardon? What I ended up doing was a reboot, which stuck the progress bar about 2/3 the way through. I rebooted again, same result. While I was searching online for some solution to this problem, the iPad completed booting and all appears to be well again -- though I wonder if a restore might not be a good idea.
  • Reply 96 of 217
    I was excited about the free find my iphone app but then discovered it's only free for iPhone 4.

That sucks.
  • Reply 97 of 217
    I have iOS 4.2.1 up and running and the update went flawlessly.
  • Reply 98 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Not all of us are pirates. Grow up.

and all muslims are not terrorists.

aiding and abetting is a crime!
  • Reply 99 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pardon? What I ended up doing was a reboot, which stuck the progress bar about 2/3 the way through. I rebooted again, same result. While I was searching online for some solution to this problem, the iPad completed booting and all appears to be well again -- though I wonder if a restore might not be a good idea.

I noticed similar behavior when upgrading to GM1. The progress bar seemed stuck and then just completed all of a sudden. Maybe a faulty progress bar.
  • Reply 100 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I noticed similar behavior when upgrading to GM1. The progress bar seemed stuck and then just completed all of a sudden. Maybe a faulty progress bar.

The first time, it got to 97% and stuck there. I tried waiting it out, until iTunes reported that the iPad could not be backed up. Have you seen that symptom?