Apple makes Find My iPhone service free for iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Wrong analogy again. A sample is more on the lines of a trial.

Your previous statements seem to suggest that anything given freely devalues the product.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your previous statements seem to suggest that anything given freely devalues the product.

Yes very true!!! Especially if the feature given away for free was a key & unique part of the total package. What if Apple gave everything away for free on MobileMe except for the calendar. Would it STILL be worth $99? Not to many people. But of course there will be some people who would think it's still worth it.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you bought five gallons of gasoline and the customer behind you gets one free, that doesn't mean that you paid more for your five gallons, or got less than five gallons.

If every customer now gets 5 gallons for free on every visit, then I shouldn't have to pay full price to fill up my tank.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:

Yes very true!!! Especially if the feature given away for free was a key & unique part of the total package. What if Apple gave everything away for free on MobileMe except for the calendar. Would it STILL be worth $99? Not to many people. But of course there will be some people who would think it's still worth it.

Quote:

If every customer now gets 5 gallons for free on every visit, then I shouldn't have to pay full price to fill up my tank.

Then don't pay it. The point you don't seem to be understanding is that you still got what you paid for in the first place -- what someone else or even you may have paid, or received for what you paid, at a later time does not alter the original value proposition.

Say you buy a car for $20,000. The next week, your friend buys the exact same car for $19,000. Does that change the value of car you bought? Does it change what you thought it was worth when you paid $20,000 for it? Do you think the car dealer now owes you $1,000? Of course not, on all three points.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:

Then don't pay it. The point you don't seem to be understanding is that you still got what you paid for in the first place -- what someone else or even you may have paid, or received for what you paid, at a later time does not alter the original value proposition.

Say you buy a car for $20,000. The next week, your friend buys the exact same car for $19,000. Does that change the value of car you bought? Does it change what you thought it was worth when you paid $20,000 for it? Do you think the car dealer now owes you $1,000? Of course not, on all three points.

Huh ? So are you saying I should still pay $2,000 for a Pentium 2 system ?
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:

Huh ? So are you saying I should still pay $2,000 for a Pentium 2 system ?

I have no idea what that means.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:

I have no idea what that means.

The value of the Pentium 2 has decreased, just like the value of MobileMe. Just because I paid $2,000 for a Pentium 2 in the past, does not mean it is aways worth that price.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    Quote:

Say you buy a car for $20,000. The next week, your friend buys the exact same car for $19,000. Does that change the value of car you bought?

If the car is now $19,000 for all customers, and another one of my friends wants to buy the same kind of car, he should only have to pay $19,000. Not the $20,000 I paid.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    Quote:

The value of the Pentium 2 has decreased, just like the value of MobileMe. Just because I paid $2,000 for a Pentium 2 in the past, does not mean it is aways worth that price.

Obviously, and when it comes time to renew MobileMe, you may decide that the free service part is all you need. The value proposition comes into play whenever you decide to buy something. You can't undecide to buy the MobileMe or the Pentium 2 system, or the car, or the gas, or the apples, after the fact. You bought them for what you thought they were worth at the time.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    Quote:

Obviously, and when it comes time to renew MobileMe, you may decide that the free service part is all you need. The value proposition comes into play whenever you decide to buy something.

That was the whole point of the person's original post. I'm glad we agree now The originally poster never said Apple should pay him back some money.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Quote:

Android BOGO marketing schemes have been widely discussed here as devaluing the perception of that product (jus' sayin')
  • Reply 72 of 88
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i'm trying to log in to mobile me via my updated iphone. over the past few minutes i've received "user name or password is incorrect" many times. a couple of times i got logged in and saw a "terms of service have changed" message. once i saw an "update error" message in place of the new terms.

but now that i've agreed to to the new terms i'm getting "user name of password is incorrect".

i'm guessing apple is still in the midst of rolling out the changes ...

patience, which i don't have, is a virtue. which doesn't make me virtue-less.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

That's the inherient selfishness of a Positional Good. He thinks he's getting less service because it's not as "elitist" as it was before he woke up today. Same mentality with those that complain about their nearly new computers being "obsolete" because a new model dropped.

You know that this has nothing to do with elitism. Yesterday he paid 99$ for the 5 or 6 different services. One of these is now free. It's natural that he's not happy. What if he had paid for this yesterday?
  • Reply 74 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

You know that this has nothing to do with elitism. Yesterday he paid 99$ for the 5 or 6 different services. One of these is now free. It's natural that he's not happy. What if he had paid for this yesterday?

caveat emptor

We've been hinting at MM soon being free for some time around here.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    I do find it quite strange, and annoying, that the new "Free" Find My iPhone service excludes the iPhone 3G and 3Gs. It seems like more arbitrary feature withholding from Apple
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fumosus View Post

Ok, this is great and all, BUT... I considered the capability of being able to find my lost or misplaced iPhone the tipping point for paying $99 a year. Now that's it's free, the decision to keep paying Apple the $99 is hanging in the balance... Anyone else feel that way?

No.

Edited for length
  • Reply 77 of 88
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I do find it quite strange, and annoying, that the new "Free" Find My iPhone service excludes the iPhone 3G and 3Gs. It seems like more arbitrary feature withholding from Apple

It's actually only the registration of the free Apple ID that excludes the 3G and 3GS.

Create the Apple ID on a compatible device and it works with the older devices too.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previously, Find My iPhone was only available to iOS users who had a MobileMe subscription for $99 per year. It also required the use of a free application from the App Store.

This (bolded) is not true. I've had MobileMe since it came out and used "Find my iPhone" since it also debuted. It never needed an app from the App Store. That app only came out earlier this year didn't it?

Is it NOW required?
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

If the services were worth $99 dollars to him yesterday, it would be interesting to find out why they are not worth $99 to him today.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Over at Macrumors forums we are trying to find out how the cool animation on the me.com site is made. Come and look or contribute.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1052787