Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 101 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The first time, it got to 97% and stuck there. I tried waiting it out, until iTunes reported that the iPad could not be backed up. Have you seen that symptom?

Sorry no, but then I had almost no content at that time. Now I have it completely full of movies so it will be interesting tonight when I upgrade.
  • Reply 102 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't upgrade right now but can anyone see if the AirPrint hack for 10.6.5 still works?

Airprint still works for me.
  • Reply 103 of 217
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for the clarification and of course you are correct, but that doesn't really change my opinion.

There are often 20 or 30 apps in that list on the switcher, but very very few of them are capable of being switched to without basically restarting the app. I'm not talking about obscure stuff either. I have a couple of expensive EA games that don't even save their state, and with the memory constraints, anything but the last two apps you were using have almost always been switched out of memory by the time you select them also.

I'm not trying to overly criticise the setup they have, it's a good way to get effective multi-tasking. I just don't like the fact that this long, long, list get's populated and that it's essentially a meaningless list.

Meaningless stuff bothers me, and stuff not under my control bothers me. This list of apps is a double-whammy in that respect. None of those apps (past the first one or two) are really available to switch to. There is no reason in my mind why they should be there, since they perform no function other than showing that yes, you ran that program last week or whatever. In that respect the only concrete effect of them being there is to provide a (small, minor) security hole in the UI as any "recently used" list does.

You think the recent app list is meaningless?! This makes me really wonder if you ever used an iPhone or an iPad with iOS 4.x!!

I use it almost all the time regardless of whether the app is running, suspended, or terminated. The ability to switch back and forth between two or three apps without going through every home screen is very important. If you are going through 30 apps in the recent app list then you are doing it wrong. It doesn't make any different if an app is launched from that list or the home screen icon.

I have the opposite experience. I rarely come across an app that doesn't support saved state.
  • Reply 104 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The choice of the term Lion is very symbolic. I felt that 10.7 would be the last iteration of OSX before they announced it, the name simply feels like confirmation to me.

There are plenty of reasons to expect Lion to be the last version of OSX:

1) iOS is going to gain more and more features over the next few years, bringing it closer and closer to the capabilities of OSX.

2) Mobile hardware will become much more capable over the next few years, allowing the hardware to run a full desktop OS.

3) The OSX UI is getting more and more features and not all work that well together. It feels unfocused and inconsistent and will continue to feel that way until they start with a clean slate and drop some of the older UI elements. Lion appears to be the testing ground for some iPad friendly elements that may eventually for the primary means of navigation on the mac.

4) Windows 8 is supposed to be Microsoft's first OS really designed around touch. it should be out around the same time as Apple's next release after Lion.

5) Macs and iPhones running the same OS would instantly destroy Microsofts desktop OS near monopoly. Add a desktop version of Android (not Chrome) into the mix and things get really interesting.

Now I don't think the reunification of iOS and Mac OS is a sure thing, but I do expect a major shakeup of Mac OS because of iOS, and that may include unifying the two platforms. As of today, the iPhone and iPad run the same version of iOS. Apple TV also runs iOS, and I'm sure Apple is working on having it catch up with the iPhone and iPad, despite having a different UI. Is it really that hard to believe that macs may also be running a unified OS 3 or 4 years from now?

I don't find anything about your analysis at all compelling or convincing.

Mac OS is going to be around for quite a while, just like the Mac. The most that the Lion might mean is that the next version will be Mac OS X 11.0 with a new series of code names.
  • Reply 105 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I still can't view important calendar entries on the lock screen! A MUST ON ANY SMART PHONE!!! How bout a calendar widget?

E-mails are not supported on the lock screen as are calls or txts. Why?

Time should be visible on standby mode, aka like in the Nokia N8.

The iPhone is great, but it has some serious shortcomings that sometimes makes me want to throw it out the window. SOMEBODY WITH SOME SERIOUS PULL AT APPLE BETTER TELL JOBS THAT HIS IPHONE IS STILL LACKING!!!

Most corporate clients do not want email showing up when the screen is locked and the same for meetings. Its all about security.

Time visible? that means the screen is always energized, and battery life would suck. It is visible at the touch of the home button.
  • Reply 106 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Now I don't think the reunification of iOS and Mac OS is a sure thing, but I do expect a major shakeup of Mac OS because of iOS, and that may include unifying the two platforms. As of today, the iPhone and iPad run the same version of iOS. Apple TV also runs iOS, and I'm sure Apple is working on having it catch up with the iPhone and iPad, despite having a different UI. Is it really that hard to believe that macs may also be running a unified OS 3 or 4 years from now?

You may be right, but what I dread is loss of support for applications and then ultimately your device itself.

Example: On Windows, there is a good chance a program you spent several hundred dollars on in 2000 will still work on your new computer.

On MacOS, a program like Photoshop 7 which worked on 10.4.x doesn't work on the new OS. Conversely, PowerPC hardware that is 5 or more years old can't run the new OS or new Intel-only programs.

My iPhone 2G is two and a half years old and already I can't run iOS 4.x.

They also charge for bi-yearly OS and iLife updates which further separates Mac users, especially in education where we can't afford new computers and OS upgrades every year.

I know they are continually pushing forward with progress, but at the same time, seeing those investments become worthless is heartbreaking.
  • Reply 107 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry no, but then I had almost no content at that time. Now I have it completely full of movies so it will be interesting tonight when I upgrade.

Sync first is my suggestion, though I suspect I don't need to make it. If I do a restore now, will it take me back to iOS 3.0, or directly to 4.2 with my backed up apps and data? I feel like an idiot for even asking this question, but I've never had to do a reset on any i-device before. I'm holding off on updating my iPhone to 4.2 until I feel better about this.
  • Reply 108 of 217
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other new features that iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad include: the ability to rent TV episodes directly to iPad using the iTunes App with a 30 day viewing window and a 48 hour session window once playback is started...

Is that new? Wasn't it 24 hours before now?
  • Reply 109 of 217
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Find My iPhone is now free? What the heck am still I paying that $100 to MobileMe for? Apple might as well make the whole service free, as Find My iPhone is the only MobileMe feature really worth paying for.

I am surprised that you consider "Find My iPhone" to be worth $100/year. Are you sure that you didn't want anything else? If that is the case, then I think your best solution is clear is clear: cancel your MobileMe subscription the first chance you get. Problem solved. This should make you HAPPY. You'll be saving $100 on the only thing you found useful from MobileMe.

Thompson
  • Reply 110 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sync first is my suggestion, though I suspect I don't need to make it. If I do a restore now, will it take me back to iOS 3.0, or directly to 4.2 with my backed up apps and data? I feel like an idiot for even asking this question, but I've never had to do a reset on any i-device before. I'm holding off on updating my iPhone to 4.2 until I feel better about this.

I would do nothing unless you experience problems. If you do have issues you might ask Apple for help since there may be factors that are unknown to posters on this forum which could be helpful in deciding the best course of action.
  • Reply 111 of 217
    Mind you I actually didn't update it but rather did a factory restore with update. That could be why there were no problems.

Well with that part. I tried to set it up from a backup of my ipod touch and that failed miserably. but in the end it's not a super huge deal. I just didn't want to have to rebuild all my folders, enter passwords etc. I'm off to the dentist, who is always running behind so it will give me something to do while I wait. Way more entertaining than reading 3 year old gossip magazines.
  • Reply 112 of 217
    Removing the functionality of the screen orientation lock means I won't be upgrading. I don't care how 'insanely great' the upgrade is.

Update: I read somewhere all you have to do is press the home button twice? Can someone confirm? If so, this is different from previous reports that it took half a dozen 'clicks' and menu options to set.
  • Reply 113 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Removing the functionality of the screen orientation lock means I won't be upgrading. I don't care how 'insanely great' the upgrade is.

I don't understand the big deal about this, the functionality is still there, just through a different mechanism. The software lock is pretty easy to use, easier than the hardware with a case on.

Home button twice, scroll to left (swipe right), lock orientation.
  • Reply 114 of 217
    Quote:

Update: I read somewhere all you have to do is press the home button twice? Can someone confirm? If so, this is different from previous reports that it took half a dozen 'clicks' and menu options to set.

It comes up as part of the multitasking screen you get when you 2x-press home. I'm guessing that's why the functionality of the hardware switch was um, switched
  • Reply 115 of 217
    erpxerpx Posts: 24member
    How do you print and stream? Which apps are required?
  • Reply 116 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Find My iPhone is now free? What the heck am still I paying that $100 to MobileMe for? Apple might as well make the whole service free, as Find My iPhone is the only MobileMe feature really worth paying for.

All the syncs between phone and computer mean nothing to you? the calendars that my wife and I sync to everything are worth the cost alone. And the iDisk cloud storage is an additional backup.

At $60-70 per year it's not a bad deal. Better free certainly, but not bad at all.
  • Reply 117 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't understand the big deal about this, the functionality is still there, just through a different mechanism. The software lock is pretty easy to use, easier than the hardware with a case on.

Home button twice, scroll to left (swipe right), lock orientation.

Ok, so four actions for what used to take one. I fail to see how this is anything but a step backwards...even if it is somewhat less onerous than originally thought.
  • Reply 118 of 217
    Quote:

Ok, so four actions for what used to take one. I fail to see how this is anything but a step backwards...even if it is somewhat less onerous than originally thought.

Four actions, but with a case on, probably half the time.
  • Reply 119 of 217
    Anyone else notice that your visual voicemail isn't working?
  • Reply 120 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Four actions, but with a case on, probably half the time.

What kind of case do you have that makes sliding a switch take longer than 4 actions?