Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 121 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ptfern View Post

Anyone else notice that your visual voicemail isn't working?

In my case I had to reenter my voice mail passcode
  • Reply 122 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

What kind of case do you have that makes sliding a switch take longer than 4 actions?

The Apple case, you have to fumble around in the cutout to reach the switch, which usually requires me to turn the iPad sideways so I can see what I'm doing. The software lock is much easier to access.
  • Reply 123 of 217
    don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it seems that now if you inadvertently use the autocorrect while typing, it pops up a little bubble that lets you switch it back to the non-corrected version automatically.
  • Reply 124 of 217
    Disappointed. Airplay not supported with 1st gen ATV, even with 2nd gen you can't play video from your camera roll. Print functionality only works with 6 relatively obscure printers. Ugh.

Oh, got new text messaging sounds. Yeehaw.
  • Reply 125 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it seems that now if you inadvertently use the autocorrect while typing, it pops up a little bubble that lets you switch it back to the non-corrected version automatically.

That's always been there.
  • Reply 126 of 217
    I hope in a better battery management system
  • Reply 127 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well if you want to split hairs, this is inaccurate also.

It's not like there are two different communities, one of thieves/pirates and one of jailbreakers and that the thieving types all just go to a jailbreaker to get access. If you jailbreak your phone, you are a jailbreaker, and five minutes later when you download the stolen apps, you are a thief/pirate. These are mostly the same person in all cases.

Jailbreakers ran out of excuses long ago.
  • Reply 128 of 217
    My iPhone lost my voicemail password after update. Fortunately, I remembered it and all is good.
  • Reply 129 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The Apple case, you have to fumble around in the cutout to reach the switch, which usually requires me to turn the iPad sideways so I can see what I'm doing. The software lock is much easier to access.

I have the same Apple case and I never need to turn it sideways to see what I'm doing.

But luckily there are options out there regarding cases and now for your convenience a software lock.
  • Reply 130 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You think the recent app list is meaningless?! This makes me really wonder if you ever used an iPhone or an iPad with iOS 4.x!!

I use it almost all the time regardless of whether the app is running, suspended, or terminated. The ability to switch back and forth between two or three apps without going through every home screen is very important. If you are going through 30 apps in the recent app list then you are doing it wrong. It doesn't make any different if an app is launched from that list or the home screen icon.

I have the opposite experience. I rarely come across an app that doesn't support saved state.

Your really misunderstanding almost everything I'm saying here.

What I'm saying is that the recent app list is meaningless if it's only a list of recently opened apps. If those apps are not in a frozen state, nor suspended, nor running in the background etc., then it's just a meaningless list of "what you used lately."

I added to that, the fact that in my experience it's rare that any more than one or two of these apps are really still running, or are suspended in any meaningful or helpful way and most actually have to start over from the splash screen. The majority of the apps that I see haven't been coded to take advantage of multitasking at all.

You actually put up an argument in my favour by agreeing that in most cases "It doesn't make any different (sic) if an app is launched from that list or the home screen icon." This is true. It doesn't matter because in most cases the app has already been swapped out of memory, and probably doesn't save it's state anyway. Thus the majority of the apps that show up on the app switching list, are just duplicates or shortcuts of the icons on the home screen and basically add no functionality whatsoever.

All I'm saying is that I would prefer that the useless ones, where the app doesn't save the state, and has already quit anyway, and isn't going to give you any advantage to starting it up from there instead of the home screen, to not show up.
  • Reply 131 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In my case I had to reenter my voice mail passcode

Thanks!!!!
  • Reply 132 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

What kind of case do you have that makes sliding a switch take longer than 4 actions?

Why do we care if we make this guy happy? He's obviously a troll.
  • Reply 133 of 217
    Quote:

All I'm saying is that I would prefer that the useless ones, where the app doesn't save the state, and has already quit anyway, and isn't going to give you any advantage to starting it up from there instead of the home screen, to not show up.

But that is too confusing for most iPhone users.
  • Reply 134 of 217
    Could some of you chaps go offline for 10 minutes or so while I get the last few M/bs.

Apple Tv all up to date. Works a treat with Itunes. Just the iPod T, iP4 and iPad to go.
  • Reply 135 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chaseism View Post

...I just want to customize my text message alerts...

So either i did something wrong, or Apple forgot to include them...

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1 great, and it can assign text tones to certain people, but when i go to select the tones, they are the same ones they have always been... Where are the '17 new tones' they talked about?
  • Reply 136 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

I was excited about the free find my iphone app but then discovered it's only free for iPhone 4.

That sucks.

Just tested ... works great with iphone 3G.
  • Reply 137 of 217
    Installed 4.2.1 on my 3GS, works great - no problems so far. Smoother operation than 4.1 and somewhat faster. Searching for text on a web page in safari is a good feature that I wanted.

Well done Apple
  • Reply 138 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Just tested ... works great with iphone 3G.

Doesn't work with my 3G. I tried my CAN and US accounts.
  • Reply 139 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Why do we care if we make this guy happy? He's obviously a troll.

I really am ROTFLMAO.
  • Reply 140 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

Doesn't work with my 3G. I tried my CAN and US accounts.

DOES work with 3G. You have to activate the free account on a current iOS device, and then you can use it for older ones.

http://lifehacker.com/5696311/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Jailbreakers are pirates.

No.

Quote:

These are mostly the same person in all cases.

No.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Jailbreakers ran out of excuses long ago.

For what, adding functionality? No such thing as an excuse for something that doesn't exist.