Apple makes Find My iPhone service free for iOS devices

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I had never heard of this concept before. Yes, it seems to apply to this reasoning. Another application might be in the debate over prices and currency exchange rates. Those threads are full of complaints about prices for Apple products going up when in reality they are staying the same.

LOL Coincidenttally, i was watching this episode a few minutes ago and luckily found an online clip of the scene.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Android BOGO marketing schemes have been widely discussed here as devaluing the perception of that product (jus' sayin')

And it does, just as MobileMe is less valuable today than it was yesterday to those who will consider buying the service today and in the future. There might be many that bought it for Find My iPhone so they won?t be renewing next year. For me, Time Machine has negated my need for the backup and sync services, Dropbox has negated my need for iDisk (which I didn?t really use much anyway) so with Find My iDevice being free I?ll be considering in 2 years if I want to keep MobileMe. I say 2 years because I bought ahead because I found a good deal on a family plan online. To those that already paid and are complaining, the service is still as useful as it was before, so they need to shut their iHoles.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

You know that this has nothing to do with elitism. Yesterday he paid 99$ for the 5 or 6 different services. One of these is now free. It's natural that he's not happy. What if he had paid for this yesterday?

Sure it does. He paid for the service knowing full well what services it offered* and those services have not been lessened. The only thing that has changed is that one of the services is now offered to those who didn?t pay for the MobileMe suite, hence elitism.

It?s just like when a new smartphone or PC that came to market that?s a little faster or has more of this feature or that and people complain that they just bought their whatever x-long ago. They were happy with the product that still does what it did before, but since more people can do it too they feel jaded.

Same goes for many people and their musical tastes. Oddly, the same people that seem to hate that some obscure group they?ve been listening to for years is now popular, are the same ones that kept pushing it down my throat all these years. ?Dude, you gotta listen to this band. They?re like awesome.?

* If he didn?t know, then I feel even less sorry.

PS: Neener neener.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

This is your first post -- not a good way to start.

Fine. It is not my first post...I ask the same question. Why, other than greed, is Apple not allowing this with iPhone 3GS? I am so happy I finally upgraded my 3GS for Samsung Focus Win 7 phone. The 3GS will mKe a nice iPod....I am tired of the games. Apple is no better than MS nowadays.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Fine. It is not my first post...I ask the same question. Why, other than greed, is Apple not allowing this with iPhone 3GS? I am so happy I finally upgraded my 3GS for Samsung Focus Win 7 phone. The 3GS will mKe a nice iPod....I am tired of the games. Apple is no better than MS nowadays.

I have a feeling that you've already made up your mind about Apple's greed but I'll ask you these question anyway.

1) If it was only about limiting access to be "greedy" then why offer for free at all?

2) Are you not aware of Apple's previous issue when MobileMe debuted from allowing too many people to access it without regard for potential issues with too many people testing it t the same time?
  • Reply 84 of 88
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousg3orge View Post

I see that while giving away the Mobile Me Photo Gallery & Find My iPhone/iPad for free there has not been anything added to those of us that have had our subscriptions for years.

So basically we now get less for our subsciption dollars. Some people will have paid the $99 just for the services that are now free. Is $99 a year value for money for web based mail, contacts, calendar & 10GB of online storage?

I dont think so

Why doesn't everybody take a chill pill regarding MobileMe. Wait until the DC is fully operational for a few months and see what Apple does. Unless your subscription is up soon don't get your shorts in a bunch, yet!
  • Reply 85 of 88
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Using that logic, ALL of MobileMe should be free soon. *crosses fingers*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Apple did this because Windows Phone 7 has this feature for free, for all users. You access the feature via your free Live account.

• Reply 86 of 88
    I have 4.2.1 installed on my iPhone 4, with the "Find my iPhone" app also installed. I went to mail setup, tried to add/create mobileme account with my apple user id, but all indications to me were to create a mobileme account explicitly (i.e. sign up for the 60-day trial), which is not what the instructions posted everywhere indicate. I was not able to set it up using only my apple id that I use with itunes, or even the email account that I used to register at itunes. Anyone has any idea?
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apl1019 View Post

Can someone explain to me why--outside of simple greed--Apple is restricting this service to iPhone 4 users only? I can't think of any technical reason why the 3GS would be excluded.

I would expect it requires multi tasking support to allow the app to run in the background. Just guessing.

I could not set up my free account on my 3GS but I could on my iPhone 4. Once I set up an free MobileMe account I was able to log on to it on my 3GS and find both phones via me.com or via each phone.

Not the most friendly setup but I now have it working on both phones.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one should ever expect others to make them feel special. People need to find their self esteem internally, not through the actions of others.

This does MobileMe as a service less necessary, but at $60/year it is surely still worth the expense for what I user it for.

I have self-esteem, I just don't feel special.