My Teacher Needs a MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My old teacher needs a new Mac. She has a 14" iBook that was made (according to a website that tells you when it was made) in February 2005. Should she get a MacBook now or wait a few more months? She has to keep it plugged in at all times because the battery is recognized, but has no charge cycles remaining. Should she buy it next Friday (because of Black Friday) or wait until January? Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

Should she buy it next Friday (because of Black Friday) or wait until January? Thank you.

Her educator discount probably trumps whatever sale Apple will have.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Anyone can go to the Education Store and confirm that this is true. Have her buy now if she needs it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

I know that she gets $50 regularly, but on Friday (based on the last few years), it will go down $70 more. That's why she's waiting. Instead of costing $1375.76 for a macbook, office 2011, warranty, and shipping, it will probably be $1305 because the macbook will be $900 and office will only be $100 instead of $120.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

I know that she gets $50 regularly, but on Friday (based on the last few years), it will go down $70 more. That's why she's waiting. Instead of costing $1375.76 for a macbook, office 2011, warranty, and shipping, it will probably be $1305 because the macbook will be $900 and office will only be $100 instead of $120.

She gets more than $50 "regularly". Black Friday is a worse deal than the Education Discount.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

She gets more than $50 "regularly". Black Friday is a worse deal than the Education Discount.

How is it worse?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Apple also doesn't stack discounts. Meaning, an education discount can't be combined with a sale like Black Friday. As far as I know, that is.

If her education discount is only $50 off the $999 Macbook, she should buy a refurbished one- they're $849 for a current-generation one.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Apple also doesn't stack discounts. Meaning, an education discount can't be combined with a sale like Black Friday. As far as I know, that is.

If her education discount is only $50 off the $999 Macbook, she should buy a refurbished one- they're $849 for a current-generation one.

But she can't add office/warranty to it like she can in the regular area.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Of course she can. You really think those three printers are the only ones that qualify for the printer thing yearly? Just buy them.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

You can add the same Applecare warranty coverage to refurb Macs as you can to new. As for Office, she'd probably get a better deal straight from Microsoft with their education discounts.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

You can add the same Applecare warranty coverage to refurb Macs as you can to new. As for Office, she'd probably get a better deal straight from Microsoft with their education discounts.

I tried that last week. It only applies to students.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Of course she can. You really think those three printers are the only ones that qualify for the printer thing yearly? Just buy them.

She doesn't need a printer. She already has a working one. it's in great shape, believe me! She doesn't need wireless either, so she's good.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

She doesn't need a printer. She already has a working one. it's in great shape, believe me! She doesn't need wireless either, so she's good.

I'm making the point that you're not limited to the crap you can add on to a computer order below the specs. You can get ANY printer for the deal and you can get AppleCare/extra software even if it doesn't show up.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

I'm making the point that you're not limited to the crap you can add on to a computer order below the specs. You can get ANY printer for the deal and you can get AppleCare/extra software even if it doesn't show up.

She really does not need a printer at all! Please stop talking about printers. I want to learn if it's good to buy it now or wait until January.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

She really does not need a printer at all! Please stop talking about printers. I want to learn if it's good to buy it now or wait until January.

You didn't even read my post. For crying out loud, please read it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

You didn't even read my post. For crying out loud, please read it.

Ok. It comes with a warranty, that is good. Can I please have a link to Microsoft's Mac Store For Education for Teachers?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Ok. It comes with a warranty, that is good. Can I please have a link to Microsoft's Mac Store For Education for Teachers?

No, it DOESN'T come with extra AppleCare. You get the standard single year of AppleCare.

There is no separate teacher store. The education store available for everyone to see is the only store. Period.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

No, it DOESN'T come with extra AppleCare. You get the standard single year of AppleCare.

There is no separate teacher store. The education store available for everyone to see is the only store. Period.

Ok, thanks for the warranty information. She can just buy the two years of AppleCare separately, anyway.