Apple may introduce iPad news subscriptions at media event Dec. 9

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple may hold a press event as soon as Dec. 9 with a number of print executives -- including News Corp's Rupert Murdoch -- to unveil a new subscription billing option for newspapers and magazines on the iPad.

Echoing previous rumors that News Corp and Apple are working together on a tablet-only daily newspaper called The Daily, John Gruber of Daring Fireball reported Monday that he has heard that Apple may hold an event on Dec. 9. However, he cautioned that since the date Apple is purportedly sharing with people is a Thursday, the company may push the date back to the week after.

"My understanding, based on information from sources not at Apple, is that this is not something like iBooks -- there is no central 'iNews' or 'Newsstand' app from Apple," Gruber wrote. "Rather, it's a new subscription billing option for apps -- true recurring submissions -- paid through your iTunes account."

He went on to say that developers at News Corp have "preliminary documentation" on Apple's subscription billing application programming interfaces. He said the new software will likely require a new version of iOS, though The Daily could launch early and free of charge until support from Apple is in place.

The report echoes much of what was shared over the weekend by The Guardian. In that report, the U.K. publication said that the new tablet-only project from News Corp will be the result of a joint effort with Apple.

The new publication will not be based on a print product or a website. Instead, it will be an entirely new publication, staffed by 100 journalists who work on the 26th floor of the News Corp offices in New York.

Gruber's report also casts doubt on previous reports that alleged Apple was working on a standalone digital newsstand application. In September, it was alleged that Apple would create a new storefront, like the App Store or iBooks, for magazines and newspapers.

The latest news does lend support, however, to previous rumors that Apple is working on a newspaper subscription plan for the iPad. Such plans did not previously exist because magazines and newspapers rely on demographic information to sell advertising space -- information about customers that Apple is not willing to share with third parties.

Previous rumors suggested that Apple would implement an opt-in function that would allow subscribers to elect to share their personal information with publications. Advertisers and publishers consider that information to be their most valuable asset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Sounds like a solid idea as long as it truly offers more than I already get via Pulse/Daily Edition.

We'll See...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Good luck with that.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sounds like a solid idea as long as it truly offers more than I already get via Pulse/Daily Edition.

We'll See...

I'd be surprised if the prices are reasonable.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Let’s see if Apple breaks from the norm and releases the iPad 2 in December as some are claiming.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'd be surprised if the prices are reasonable.

99¢ a week sounds reasonable to me.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Highly unlikely but very nice none the less if it did happen. As it is I'm waiting patiently for iPad 2 as I'm expecting a much more mature platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let?s see if Apple breaks from the norm and releases the iPad 2 in December as some are claiming.

As to this news subscription idea I might be very interested in such a program if the providers are reasonable in their charges. To that end they best be significantly cheaper than the paper based solutions.

Before the advent of the web I was a daily newspaper reader so I really don't mind paying for the news, so that isn't the problem. The big issue with newspapers is the day old or older news often found in print. Beyond that we really need a national news paper that is better than McPaper and not so slanted to business.

What is wrong with McPaper (USA Today), well a lack of journalism and far to many filler articles. By filler I mean the numerous short articles about nothing comprised of nothing that seem to fill the white space. Sure a paper has to have some filler but pages and pages of the stuff isn't acceptable.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    How will a news source from Rupert Murdoch (Fox News) be perceived? Will Murdoch use Apple to promote his own world view? Murdoch is a very persuasive business man and his objective, like the chinese, seems to be to take over the world. I know it's only business with him but every deal he consumates seems to promote his agenda which is not solely to make money.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Let?s see if Apple breaks from the norm and releases the iPad 2 in December as some are claiming.

I think it would be smarter for them to do a christmas season release rather than a spring release. i know at least two people who want an ipad that refuse to buy for christmas because (they feel) Feb mar potential release is around the corner.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvla View Post

How will a news source from Rupert Murdoch (Fox News) be perceived? Will Murdoch use Apple to promote his own world view? Murdoch is a very persuasive business man and his objective, like the chinese, seems to be to take over the world. I know it's only business with him but every deal he consumates seems to promote his agenda which is not solely to make money.

in his case I don't think it is about his agenda. He is a relatively left of center man who supported Obama in the 08 election. Yet he hires people like Ailes (foxnews) obviously right of center to make big bucks ... which obviously worked out well for him. He pays based on their performance. Many of his publications are liberal ... many conservative. In US he has honed in on more conservative media. I think he is brilliant and looks at the core strenghts of the media he buys and hires people to make it bigger and better and make him more money.

Now Soros ... that is a different story. It's all about his agenda.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

The first gen JUST came out in a few countries and isn't due in others until December. It's not happening.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvla View Post

He is the one that bought MySpace for way too much money, IMO, after it was on the decline, and was ultimately responsible for canning Firefly, something I still hold him personally responsible for.

edit: I?m going crazy posting clips of The Big Bang Theory Today? and Castle. Firefly references...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The first gen JUST came out in a few countries and isn't due in others until December. It's not happening.

I agree, but there seem to be more than a few that think releasing a new HW product in mid December makes perfect sense, but releasing after the Holidays is foolish, despite the sound economic principles and precedence behind it.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Seems like alot of spectulation and guessing here. Doesn't really sound like an apple thing. Time will tell.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Ahh.... Deal with the devil himself...

IF anyone is stupid enough to sign up with a Murdoch-based ANYTHING is fundamentally at odds with the rest of the world's technology direction. Murdoch is in this for two reasons

1) Money

2) CONTROL of as much of the message as can be bought, stolen, pried, bamboozled, or made up as can possibly be had for whatever the price.

This will be true manipulation. And the order of 1 & 2 above is NOT an indication of Rupe's priorities.. He is, above all else, a control freak.. Be careful...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

99¢ a week sounds reasonable to me.

That depends on the content. If it's something amazing, perhaps $2.99 a week would be reasonable. We'll see.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

I seriously doubt that. It will likely follow the norm and take a full year or more.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Highly unlikely but very nice none the less if it did happen. As it is I'm waiting patiently for iPad 2 as I'm expecting a much more mature platform.

As to this news subscription idea I might be very interested in such a program if the providers are reasonable in their charges. To that end they best be significantly cheaper than the paper based solutions.

Before the advent of the web I was a daily newspaper reader so I really don't mind paying for the news, so that isn't the problem. The big issue with newspapers is the day old or older news often found in print. Beyond that we really need a national news paper that is better than McPaper and not so slanted to business.

What is wrong with McPaper (USA Today), well a lack of journalism and far to many filler articles. By filler I mean the numerous short articles about nothing comprised of nothing that seem to fill the white space. Sure a paper has to have some filler but pages and pages of the stuff isn't acceptable.

Seems to me the ideal "paper" would be one that only carries the content you, the only reader that matters, are interested in. There are countless web sites that do that already.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

in his case I don't think it is about his agenda. He is a relatively left of center man who supported Obama in the 08 election. Yet he hires people like Ailes (foxnews) obviously right of center to make big bucks ... which obviously worked out well for him. He pays based on their performance. Many of his publications are liberal ... many conservative. In US he has honed in on more conservative media. I think he is brilliant and looks at the core strenghts of the media he buys and hires people to make it bigger and better and make him more money.

Just type his name in here to see his political contributions.

http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/norindsea.shtml
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Apple assists foreign born megalomaniac to control our media and influence our elections. Wonderful.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Apple assists foreign born megalomaniac to control our media and influence our elections. Wonderful.

Do not get into bed with Murdoch!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Soros doesn't have a media empire. He is small fry.

Murdoch has an agenda. Fortunately he is not young and doesn't have an heir that seems as strongly political as he is. The company will have succession issues.

BTW, someone posted that "sending jobs overseas" was an issue with the Left. Yikes! I thought it was an issue with working class, blue collar folks. Job loss to lower cost, less regulated labor markets is what hurts the people with high school educations in the USA. They are not Left by any means. It is really tough for the people who used to manufacture things in this country. Labor Unions are in a death spiral. No one there to help that whole segment. I try to buy Made in USA, but sometimes just can't find it WalMart or Target. Not sure what the solution is, but pretty dark times for the rust belt.