Apple updates iWork for iPad with multitasking, AirPrint support

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Alongside Monday's iOS 4.2 iPad upgrade, Apple updated its iWork productivity suite for the iPad, adding support for multitasking and AirPrint.

Apple quietly updated its Pages, Numbers and Keynote iPad apps to version 1.3 on Monday. Each of the apps gains support for wireless printing with Airprint and multitasking, features which were introduced to the iPad the long-awaited iOS 4.2 update. The updates also improve PDF support, resolve issues with using a WebDav server and add localization for Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.

The iWork suite has consistently been a top paid application for the iPad on the iTunes store, reportedly earning Apple more than $40 million per year. Apple last updated iWork for iPad in September, when it added support for copying files to MobileMe iDisk and exporting documents in Microsoft Office formats.

The updates are free for registered owners of earlier versions of the apps.

More detailed lists of changes made to the Pages, Numbers and Keynote applications are provided by Apple:

Pages 1.3

- Wireless printing with AirPrint using iOS 4.2, including page range selection, number of copies, and duplex printing.

- Support for iOS 4.2 multitasking.

- Localized in Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.

- Automatic pagination of tables that cross a page break.

- Improved reliability when importing Pages ?09 and Microsoft Word documents.

- Improved usability including font size selection, and bold, italic, and underline indicators in ruler.

- Fixed issues when using a WebDAV server, including signing out when a server is no longer accessible, saving port numbers in server addresses, and saving files with invalid characters in their names.

- Improved PDF export using iOS 4.2, which resolves an issue with missing fonts on Windows.

Numbers 1.3

- Wireless printing with AirPrint using iOS 4.2, including page range selection, number of copies, and duplex printing.

- Print preview to adjust how a sheet prints across multiple pages, including Auto Fit.

- PDF export takes advantage of pagination settings from print preview.

- Formula entry using a keyboard, including predictive function selector.

- Localized in Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.

- Improved reliability when importing Numbers ?09 and Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

- Improved usability.

- Fixed issues when using a WebDAV server, including signing out when a server is no longer accessible, saving port numbers in server addresses, and saving files with invalid characters in their names.

- Improved PDF export using iOS 4.2, which resolves an issue with missing fonts on Windows.

Keynote 1.3

- Enhanced presenter display shows the current slide, the next slide, or your notes when connected to an external display.

- Ability to import existing and add new presenter notes to slides.

- Wireless printing with AirPrint using iOS 4.2, including slide range selection, number of copies, and duplex printing.

- Improved reliability when importing Keynote ?09 and Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.

- Improved usability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The boys in Cupertino have been busy...

I'd like to see the size of that "war chest" after the holidays.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Just installed the updates, and they're looking very impressive.

Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Wouldn't it be nice to be able to print directions from the maps application?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Just installed the updates, and they're looking very impressive.

Thanks Apple.

Okay, which of you hijacked DaHarder?s account?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Gorgeous update.

Keynote

Vastly improved presenter display. Check.

No longer trashes notes on import. Check.

Pages

Correct pagination of tables (this was a mess). Check.

Numbers

Vastly improved formula entry. Check.

All

Finally PDFs can be emailed without knowing if the recipient has a Mac, or will only get a corrupted PDF. Check.

Printing works flawlessly, using Finger Print, even under 10.5. Check.

Still missing/wanted

Dropbox support, or, alternatively, improve the performance of the frigging iDisk, it's shameful.

Footnote entry and style editing in Pages.

Update the iPhone/iPod Keynote Remote app to enable Keynote navigation on the iPad. I still do not give presentations staring at a tablet...

Import own/corporate fonts.

Funny how these cheap iPad apps receive more significant and frequent updates than the "original" products...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    what under $100 airprint printer should I buy?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL. He is right though. Keynote is alot better.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Would have been really useful if there was a Keynote slide show capability built in via Airplay through AppleTV. Many offices have TVs in their meeting rooms, and it would have been fun to walk in with an HDMI cable, an AppleTV, and an iPad, and be ready to go.

One would have thought this capability was simple and obvious for Apple to build in.

Wireless printing and multitasking are cute, but not all that interesting for me personally (except maybe in the case of printing an occasional Pages document).

Overall, 5/10. \
  • Reply 9 of 23
    **** make airprint work on your network. I did it with my 3Gs, Brother printer, Windows 7 and Itunes 10.1 !!!!!!! It works !!!!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047779
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Would have been really useful if there was a Keynote slide show capability built in via Airplay through AppleTV. Many offices have TVs in their meeting rooms, and it would have been fun to walk in with an HDMI cable, an AppleTV, and an iPad, and be ready to go.

One would have thought this capability was simple and obvious for Apple to build in.

Wireless printing and multitasking are cute, but not all that interesting for me personally (except maybe in the case of printing an occasional Pages document).

Overall, 5/10. \

I agree. Airplay is that 'duh' feature that is conspicuously missing from Keynote. Why?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Be careful, if you search Airprint on the iPhone 4, it says that HP only has 11 printers that work, and my new HP wireless HP isn't one of them. I guess they aren't going to build it into cheaper officejets yet.

My model is the HP Officejet 4500 wireless, which cost about $150, the printer works just fine on my wireless network, but doesn't work on Airprint -- oh well.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No kidding.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Get the $10 Printopia instead, granted it will not print unless you are on the same wireless network as the computer with the install, but when present it works flawlessly and it lets you print to any printer on the network as well as Dropbox or send to any Mac on the same network.

Clearly third party developers have demonstrated this functionality could have been delivered in 10.6.5 rather than require users have to replace their printer.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    AirPlay works with only a handful of HP printers.

Already the web is full of criticism about your announced iOS v4.2.1 and the AirPrint capability. Problem is, you failed to let anyone know that *only* a very short list of HP printers are supported. So that leaves TONS of people out, including those of us with Epson, Canon, Xerox and many other printers.

But lo and behold, a simple$9.95 utility called Printopia for Mac (from ecamm) does the trick and does so amazingly well.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

So how come they can have this working and ready the day iOS v4.2.1 is available, and you missed the boat? Strange, and disappointing.

I just purchased their terrific utility, and it works perfectly from both my iPhone 4 as well as from my iPad. I can print email, PDFs, and Pages documents, and have printed to my Epson Artisan 800 printer as well as to my Xerox Phaser 8560 solid ink printer and a fax using PageSender.

Apple...maybe you should give these folks a call and see if they can help you out... ;-)

Signed,

Tim Liszt

LisZt Design
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Overall, 5/10. \

Yes!

A keynote AirPlay presenter is such a natural I can taste it. Something like:

-- display the preso on the HDTV

-- simultaneously display the preso and controller on the iPad

-- control the preso from the ipad

----- next/prev

----- skip ahead/back

----- preview slide/present slide

----- ad hoc pan/zoom and scrub (for video)

----- ad hoc annotation/highlighting/telestrating

BTW, you can walk into a pizza parlor "room" for the team party "with an HDMI cable, an AppleTV, and an iPad, and be ready to go."

• Reply 16 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Who prints stuff any more? I thought Apple didn't waste their time on legacy technologies.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alongside Monday's iOS 4.2 iPad upgrade, Apple updated its iWork productivity suite for the iPad, adding support for multitasking and AirPrint.

I'm thankful for the (not mentioned) update to languages so that those of us that write in that quaint funny odd language called "English" can finally write properly (with spell checking), in Pages for iPad.

On the other hand, Pages still has an awfully awkward and poorly designed UI. Since the market is wide open for Word Processing on the iPad, I've never quite understood why this horrible thing hasn't got any competition yet.

I thought Google or Microsoft would be all over this thing by now. Let have some competition so that we can expect to get a decent word processor on the iPad before 2015.

Edit: I must say too that printing is a bit of a joke. They could at least put up the reason *why* printing has gone from "almost any printer can be used" to "only these latest four printers from HP can be used."
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm thankful for the (not mentioned) update to languages so that those of us that write in that quaint funny odd language called "English" can finally write properly (with spell checking), in Pages for iPad.

Are you sure you want to get that debate restarted?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Are you sure you want to get that debate restarted?

Well it's fixed now so the debate is over. I guess maybe I wanted the last word on the subject, (as juvenile as that is).
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Lets say you want to print from your ipad/iphone with iOS4.2.1. and you are still angry this feature is not delivered yesterday.....

The answer:

Link: http://netputing.com/airprinthacktivator

Install tool, delete network printer, add network printer, enable printer sharing.

That's it. Enjoy printing from your ipad/iphone...