Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Comments

• Reply 301 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

this $99 Walgreens 7-inch Android Chinese knockoff that runs 1.6 is better than an Ipad also...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...0#comments-bar

the reviewer actually said to burn it..

Google whores its OS to any dirty knockoff company? it eFF-ing looks exactly like an iPad except for the WHITE home button.. see, see what they did there. It's a white home button editon iPad. The blatant copyin has me throwin up in my mouth a lil..

Thanks for the link and the link to the link of the photos of the many possible uses for it.

Seriously, good Android products will be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. Not so much now, but say in 6 or 12 months time. There will be hundreds and hundreds of these, from the el-cheapo $50 up to the $1,000 plus units. So how would one choose ? Sure a android nerd could easily, and most likely will be picturing rooting it while he rubs his hands over it with glee.

But what about the typical consumer, those that don't have that much to spend, they will be tricked into buying an inferior product.

You know what, I'm going to stay with my iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Macs.

We now have one iOS, which is common to most idevices, I know when I will get updates and will not have to beg the carrier/manufacturer for one.

I will officially hand over my iPad to my kids and let them fight over it while I gleefully play with iPad 2, until my wife/kids notice it and steal it too.

Pardon my spelling as its late here in Australia.

Apple rules and Androids drools
  • Reply 302 of 337
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    OK, to balance thing a bit from numerous DaHarder' posts, this is a quote posted in MacRumor forum:

I love all my Apple products, today for the fifth time going into Best Buy playing with the Galaxy Tab I decided to buy one to get more hands on feel knowing that I have 30 days to get a full return on it. To start I have the EVO phone and I love it for the Hot Spot for my iPad. Anyways I did return the Galaxy Tab already its no where smooth like the iPad, The iPad just feels so much better, the icons on the G-Tab where lagging and the web the script would have a buzz look while scrolling then it would get clear plus I felt like I had two phones so in the end that was my 3 hour tour of the Galaxy Tab, cant wait for generation 2 on the iPad.

The reason I post this is his experience is as same as mine (when I played with the Tab). The only difference is I don't have to buy it to know it's not for me.
  • Reply 303 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

you mean the first Iphone thats over three years old. Thats a big difference from buying a new phone and 3 months later a new update to the os comes out with new features and you can't update your $500 phone

The iPhone 3G was a currently selling model until 3 months ago. Many people own a 3 month old iPhone and are unable to update.
  • Reply 304 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao

Seriously, other than shirtless trailer park types

Who would buy this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theolein View Post

So, you're trying to say there is some truth in the rumour that all Mac users are arrogant snobs?

No, but we do wear shirts.

Seriously, most people buying iPhones and iPads and Macs are not elitists. It can't be, there's just sooo many of them! It's just everybody jumping on the bandwagon.

Ironically, I postulate it could be the Android enthusiasts that are feeling more elite nowadays.
  • Reply 305 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

The iPhone 3G was a currently selling model until 3 months ago. Many people own a 3 month old iPhone and are unable to update.

Well, I must have inhaled something because I'm updating my iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 as we speak! OH NOES THE FRAGMENTATIONZ PLS HELPZZ
  • Reply 306 of 337
    $250, WiFi (only but no contract), MicroSD, Flash, Android OS 2.1, screen is not as glossy as Tab or iPad. Although mostly an e-Reader, it has a browser and will soon have its own Apps with more plentiful properly-sized screen elements that fit in a 7-inch display while staying finger-zed.

The Galaxy Tab is faster and more responsive with Android OS 2.2 underneath, but we'll see how it goes when B&N updates the Nook Color. Even then the processor might be a bit faster.

Unless you need the larger screen elements for things like text entry, or your hands are too big for the HTC EVO, I suggest waiting until Google ships a tablet optimized version of Android OS.

I won't be upgrading my iPad until wireless download speeds are consistently over 3Mbps (WiMax or LTE) at which time I will use the larger battery to stay online a bit longer than I can with my Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G (2 hours of streaming video completely wireless).

In the mean time, I'll be enjoying AirPlay (iPhone to AppleTV to Samsung).
  • Reply 307 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It *is* truly horrifying, not just vaguely. Like, honestly, it is psychiatrically disturbing.

Anyways this thread got raped from the very first post so toodles people.

It is noteworthy that in multiple other Apple blogsites and fora, the posters predominately discuss Apple products, services and news, while in this particular forum, the idiosycracies of the participants are predominately the topic of conversation.
  • Reply 308 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Chill

• Reply 309 of 337
    Quote:

It is noteworthy that in multiple other Apple blogsites and fora, the posters predominately discuss Apple products, services and news, while in this particular forum, the idiosycracies of the participants are predominately the topic of conversation.

Indeed. In fact, you thrive on it.
  • Reply 310 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

Android allows the use of a lot of things, which is why the UI looks like a mess. It's easy to slap things together (android), but much harder to keep things organized and cohesive (apple), but from a UI perspective, Apple's approach is better.

What the Android fanboys fail to appreciate is that Apple's genius is not what they include in products, but rather, what they exclude.

Apple is obviously capable of creating a home screen that is capable of being messed up like Android into a complete and total mess that nobody in their right minds would want to deal with, like Android.

But Apple has Good Taste. That is why all the icons are arranged into neat columns and rows, all of them right there in front of you on your desktop/homescreen. And if it is not there, just flick to a new screen and look there. If it is not on the second page, then you need not scratch your head, wondering where and how your marvelous messy OS has hidden the icon.

No: you simply flick another page, scan the 16 icons, and keep looking. You'll find it eventually.

Unlike Android, where you can hide things in places where they will never again see the light of day. It is too confusing. Normal people just want rows and columns so they can search one at a time and not get confused.

I like having every single icon on my desktop in the order they were added to the device. It is the simple way to organize. And it shows Good Taste.
  • Reply 311 of 337
    Quote:

What the Android fanboys fail to appreciate is that Apple's genius is not what they include in products, but rather, what they exclude.

Apple is obviously capable of creating a home screen that is capable of being messed up like Android into a complete and total mess that nobody in their right minds would want to deal with, like Android.

But Apple has Good Taste. That is why all the icons are arranged into neat columns and rows, all of them right there in front of you on your desktop/homescreen. And if it is not there, just flick to a new screen and look there. If it is not on the second page, then you need not scratch your head, wondering where and how your marvelous messy OS has hidden the icon.

No: you simply flick another page, scan the 16 icons, and keep looking. You'll find it eventually.

Unlike Android, where you can hide things in places where they will never again see the light of day. It is too confusing. Normal people just want rows and columns so they can search one at a time and not get confused.

I like having every single icon on my desktop in the order they were added to the device. It is the simple way to organize. And it shows Good Taste.

Keep it coming mate, please don't stop.
  • Reply 312 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

As for customization - like copy/paste, multitasking, video chatting, etc. When apple gets around to fixing notifications, and offering widgets, etc. they will do it better than everyone else.

It is undisputed that Apple does not release half-baked products. Accordingly, the notification system does NOT need to be fixed. It works very, very well just as it is. If it did not work very, very well, it would form no part of any iOS device.

Apple considered adding widgets, and rejected the idea. Apple will NOT compromise on battery life. If you want a dead phone in your pocket with lots of dead widgets, get an Android! You pull one of them bad boys out of your pocket to try to make your smarter friends sorry they got an iPhone4, and what do you have to show them? A dead blank screen because those widgets killed your battery?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All you AndroidFanBoys crack me up! Dead phones in your pockets starting at around 10 AM! Yeah, that's "open". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 313 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Seriously, good Android products will be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. Not so much now, but say in 6 or 12 months time. There will be hundreds and hundreds of these, from the el-cheapo $50 up to the $1,000 plus units. So how would one choose ?

It is not possible to choose unless one makes a life's work of it.

That is the current situation with television sets. There are hundreds of choices, so it is impossible to make a good choice, unless one is to make a life's work of it.

That is why I hope Steve gives us a television set that we can actually buy. One model, maybe with different amounts of RAM, like the iPhone. That way it is so easy to make the very best decision.

Even better is if whenever you turn it on, it is instantly connected to the iTunes Store so that getting content is easy.
  • Reply 314 of 337
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Your absolute ignorance is (yet again) showing in that (much like iOS) ALL installed Android apps are always readily available via the app drawer tab, which remains a constant (and discrete) UI element regardless on which page one may be.

I Reiterate... All Apps (arranged alphabetically in rows and columns, in fact - Much more logical/organized than iOS) Are Always Available Via A Single Click of the Android App Drawer Tab, leaving all homescreens to appear/function as the users sees fit, which includes the use of live widgets, calendars, live wall paper, etc.

So Now You Know... Think Different.
  • Reply 315 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shock Me View Post

$250, WiFi (only but no contract), MicroSD, Flash, Android OS 2.1, screen is not as glossy as Tab or iPad. Although mostly an e-Reader, it has a browser and will soon have its own Apps with more plentiful properly-sized screen elements that fit in a 7-inch display while staying finger-zed.

The Galaxy Tab is faster and more responsive with Android OS 2.2 underneath, but we'll see how it goes when B&N updates the Nook Color. Even then the processor might be a bit faster.

Unless you need the larger screen elements for things like text entry, or your hands are too big for the HTC EVO, I suggest waiting until Google ships a tablet optimized version of Android OS.

I won't be upgrading my iPad until wireless download speeds are consistently over 3Mbps (WiMax or LTE) at which time I will use the larger battery to stay online a bit longer than I can with my Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G (2 hours of streaming video completely wireless).

In the mean time, I'll be enjoying AirPlay (iPhone to AppleTV to Samsung).

Things to like about Android:

The option to burn battery life running Flash 10.1 (I might be plugged in)

Glance-able data on the lock screen (always wanted current weather and some notifications without jail-breaking)

Pinch to expose all home screens (after 3 pages swiping gets old [although folders dropped me down to two home screens])

SD with external slot (OK this is even messed up on Android since most use MicroSD) sneaker net is still good for large documents and video files from laptops and cameras

Better access to the filesystem (as opposed to no access) sharing and synching of files as well as both program and files states on the iPad could be much better

Things to like about iPad:

More apps optimized for larger screen (plus universal apps)

Amazing battery life which makes it more mobile than 7-inch form factor despite its larger size

Lots of 3rd-party accessories available

More room for 10 points of interaction when placed on supporting surface

Airplay to HDTV (Although I think the iPad should be an actual Airplay device itself [why no DLNA?])

Veggie Samurai with 8 fingers!
  • Reply 316 of 337
    Quote:

Amazing battery life which makes it more mobile than 7-inch form factor despite its larger size

It is certainly interesting that the Korean product is touted as "more mobile". But you have given the lie to that particular bit of fiction!

The larger size has NOTHING to do with whether or not the iPad is more mobile than the Galaxy Tab. The iPad is more mobile, despite its size and weight being much greater than the Galaxy Tab. Size and weight have exactly ZERO relevance when determining which product is more mobile.

Battery life is the ONLY determinant of which product is more mobile. But those AndroisFanBoys love to twist the meanings of word.

The Galaxy Tab is LESS MOBILE than the iPad, despite its screen not being big enough to make it a viable device.
  • Reply 317 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Your absolute ignorance is (yet again) showing in that (much like iOS) ALL installed Android apps are always readily available via the app drawer tab, which remains a constant (and discrete) UI element regardless on which page one may be.

I Reiterate... All Apps (arranged alphabetically in rows and columns, in fact - Much more logical/organized than iOS) Are Always Available Via A Single Click of the Android App Drawer Tab, leaving all homescreens to appear/function as the users sees fit, which includes the use of live widgets, calendars, live wall paper, etc.

So Now You Know... Think Different.

Hi Da!

I like the availability of the app drawer, but don't like all the scrolling when you have gathered a large number of apps. Love the cool things android does with customization of the interface, but would rather they focus on useful things like what they did with Adobe Flash, and WiFi hotspots.

What I like about the iPad is that many of the cool things are actually useful as well.
  • Reply 318 of 337
    This is amazing. SendMe/ Newtron/ Steve-J/ Bill-G/ Pomme has gone completely off the deep end, like further than we ever imagined, and DaHarder actually thinks Pomme is being serious! This is some real vintage stuff here.
  • Reply 319 of 337
    Quote:

Hi Da!

I like the availability of the app drawer, but don't like all the scrolling when you have gathered a large number of apps. Love the cool things android does with customization of the interface, but would rather they focus on useful things like what they did with Adobe Flash, and WiFi hotspots.

What I like about the iPad is that many of the cool things are actually useful as well.

I know what you mean about the app drawer. Normally it's just sorted alphabetically, and after acquiring SO many of them, it can feel overwhelming.

Launchers in Android allow for folders just like iphone does, and you can literally make each screen look like an iphone launch screen if you just want your apps presented that way.
  • Reply 320 of 337
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is amazing. SendMe/ Newtron/ Steve-J/ Bill-G/ Pomme has gone completely off the deep end, like further than we ever imagined, and DaHarder actually thinks Pomme is being serious! This is some real vintage stuff here.

I know. We're drifting into some kind of freaky meta-troll world where half the posts are trolls belittling trolls for imitating fan boys pretending to be trolls......

I guess that's the point, sort of a noise machine where it becomes almost impossible to have a normal conversation.