Mac pricing gives Apple top dollar share in U.S. home PC market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"However, in an e-mail response, IDC stood by its average selling price estimate," Wolf wrote. "If Apple's average selling price were substituted for IDC's, the Mac's dollar share of the U.S. home market would fall to 20.0%, slightly less than HP's share."

There is no doubt in my mind that IDT knows the average selling price of Macs better than Apple. Therefore, it follows that Apple has a larger share than Dell.

I think that Dell should just auction of everything, and give the money to the Michael!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Goes to show how much more expensive it is to go Mac 'eh?

Good for Apple's bottom line though!

We are investors here. We all like it when people spend lots of money on Macs. That is why we are profiting from our stock purchases.

I hope Apple raises its prices.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My GF works in Education K-12 and just hates the dominance of PC's. She said it is so frustrating going through Windows programs with kids and teachers and every few minutes she has to answer a cryptic question on a pop-up screen...or the program worked yesterday, but now it is doing something completely different.

I think it is idiot administrators buying PC's based solely on price...and in doing so are holding our kids back....when the "Kids" get older and can make a choice for themselves, they choose Apple....just look at the use of Apple in Universities!

She loves our Macs at home!

LOL

100% agree. Apple should have a really aggressive push to sell Macs in volume to schools at very low costs. They must need some tax right offs you'd think!

Some of those admin folks perhaps should be checked out to see what free Dells they have at home courtesy of suppliers.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Hummm... So with still a low market share, yet making more money than any other company in the computer business, and billions of dollars in the bank, don't you think it is long past time for Apple to lower their computer prices?

What low market share? IDC's October report put the Mac's amrket share at 10.6% (does not include any iOS devices) of the U.S. market - that's huge, higher than Toshiba or Acer. Currently, only HP and Dell have larger market shares.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Simple Apple isn't focusing on Education any more.

For example Apple just killed the Xserve. This will have a negative impact in Education. iTunes U, Podcast Producer, internal video on demand systems built on Quicktime Streaming Server and Final Cut Server, Open Directory and the management of a desktop Mac's in computer labs...

It will hurt Apple in the end.

You bet it will hurt Apple in Education. Everything mentioned above is 100% correct. By killing Xserve, Apple walked away from the server market.

Macintoshes are more fun to use, but very difficult to manage on a business/education network. How to justify to the boss that we should buy more (expensive) Macintoshes when there is no enterprise-class server to manage them. Relying on a Windows server to provide MacIntosh services has many disadvantages. It weakens the argument for buying Macintoshes in the workplace. You mean I should buy expensive AD plugins from a 3rd party so that I can manage Apple devices via AD? Pfffffffft!

OD is crap. Yes it is. Have you ever compared Microsoft's AD to Apple's OD. AD makes OD look like a Windows 3.1 primitive toy. Your thoughts, Mr. Jobs?

I would also like to add that Apple has ZERO interest in building an "Exchange killer." Why. If Apple were to build a slick front end to a robust, open source mail server, that would be better than being forced to use Outlook on a Mac to connect to Exchange.

We had hoped that Apple would bury Microsoft in the enterprise just as Microsoft killed off Novell ten years ago. Maybe Apple should buy Novell in order to obtain NDS and Groupwise to compete with Microsoft. No, wait! Microsoft will make sure this will never happen:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-novell-assets

Will someone wake up Mr. Jobs.

It is obvious that Apple would rather focus on iphones, ipods, and ipads. Too bad.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndesmarais View Post

What low market share? IDC's October report put the Mac's amrket share at 10.6% (does not include any iOS devices) of the U.S. market - that's huge, higher than Toshiba or Acer. Currently, only HP and Dell have larger market shares.

Exactly right. The person you responded to is probably thinking 'PC share' means something. They tend to forget all the PC manufacturers eat each other alive and the fact they all run the same lousy OS is irrelevant.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Exactly right. The person you responded to is probably thinking 'PC share' means something. They tend to forget all the PC manufacturers eat each other alive and the fact they all run the same lousy OS is irrelevant.

It is clear to me, after comparing the stock price charts, that the only wise decision for a consumer is to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

It is clear to me, after comparing the stock price charts, that the only wise decision for a consumer is to buy a Mac.

Give up dude. It's getting old fast. You're not trying to even sound remotely intelligent. And you've veered into bashing Macs when previously your line was about iOS. Stay focused, man!
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Every barrier is coming down for Apple. Those government sales are very impressive too. However, what the heck is up with education ... is this poor performance by Apple education sales people or a concerted effort for mind share by some Machiavellian MS push?

BTW I think the "canary in the coalmine," is wearing a MS tee shirt and is flat on its back.

mac share is already quite large in education. so, growth in education less. While mac share in government and business is less, so growth is more.

what are percentage share of mac as of now in these sectors?

That will give us clear picture
  • Reply 30 of 75
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

Canaries were put in coal mines to give early warning of impending disaster (because they would die before miners if the air went bad). It's as though Mr. Wolf is a Japanese marketer, throwing out English phrases because they sound catchy with no regard to their actual meaning.

i feel he meant to say that msft OS days may be numbered in enterprise and business applications .

you can own a MBP AND SYNC AT WORK WITH a ipad and sync at home ipods touches appleTV s and so forth .

or buy a crap dell and sync 9 apple products ..

72 % buy a non mac right now .

if apple grabs 33% of that crowd it will be a huge blow to

• Reply 31 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Give up dude. It's getting old fast. You're not trying to even sound remotely intelligent. And you've veered into bashing Macs when previously your line was about iOS. Stay focused, man!

An agent of discord now has to sound intelligent? You're giving him an impossible task.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

As a Marketeer myself I always felt dollar share is much more important than unit share.

As a Mouseketeer, I've always felt that big black ears were the most important thing.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Goes to show Apple’s lack of bottom-end models. Apple only has mid- and high-end.

And judging by my experiences with rock-bottom PCs, they’re truly NOT as good as mid- or high-end PCs. Or Macs

So yes, a mid- or high-end PC is more expensive than a rock-bottom stripped-down PC with cheap components. That’s not an Apple factor, it’s every maker of better-quality PCs. (A Dell and Mac of comparable specs—truly comparable, not cherry-picked—are priced similarly.)
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Is it more expensive in the long run?

No virus software to update every year - big saving.

Apple machines have a longer life than PCs, and retain more of their resale value.

Less support needed, so cheaper for businesses, schools, etc.

The overall cost of owning a Mac has often been shown to be less than that of a PC.

Also you need to look at VALUE, not PRICE, there is a difference.

What value do you add for best industrial design, ease of use, OSX, quality, etc.

The virus angle is just as irrelevant with Win7. BOTH need virus scanning.

Longetivity isn't an issue with business machines either, since businesses upgrade on a schedule regardless of age. Or are you really going to tell us that an all in one machine is easier to manage/fix/repair when only the monitor goes out?

Resale value is also a moot point since you overpaid for the mac to begin with.

Less support costs? Right. Maybe at an individual level, but not when you have 1000s to manage. Nothing is easier than Windows.

Value for industrial design? You mean looks? Means nothing. You also act as if Win7 is so much harder to use than OSX.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:

Good, the people who buy quality machines that last longer than any of the Windows competitors. I can even buy the best 4-5 y/o mac and it will destroy the Windows machines made at the same time. People give away a few year old Windows box, guess what a Mac you can sell for still a premium price. The registry mess alone is not worth buying a used windows machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Is it more expensive in the long run?

No virus software to update every year - big saving.

Apple machines have a longer life than PCs, and retain more of their resale value.

Less support needed, so cheaper for businesses, schools, etc.

The overall cost of owning a Mac has often been shown to be less than that of a PC.

Also you need to look at VALUE, not PRICE, there is a difference.

What value do you add for best industrial design, ease of use, OSX, quality, etc.

exactly!
  • Reply 36 of 75
    As long as people will pay the Apple tax, margins will be high. Other manufacturers must hate Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

As long as people will pay the Apple tax, margins will be high. Other manufacturers must hate Steve Jobs.

This "Apple tax" concept is completely ludicrous. Nobody is forced to buy a Mac. If they don't like the price of Apple's offerings, they have plenty of other choices. But you're right about one thing: the Windows OEMs must loathe Apple for being able to offer a far more distinctive product than they will ever be able to do, so long as they are lashed to Microsoft.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:

As long as people will pay the Apple tax...

Oh, give it up with the Apple Tax nonsense.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

So, is this a new Steve-J/Bill-G alias?
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:

Apple customers pay the highest margins in the business, and they are all extremely satisfied, and Apple makes the most money.

Windows customers all look for the cheapest machine in the whole store, are totally unsatisfied, and the other manufacturers make the least money.

That is why that Dell guy hates Steve with such passion. It drives him nuts!