Apple to release iOS 4.3 with app subscriptions in December - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
On the heels of the release of iOS 4.2, a new rumor claims that Apple is planning to release its next major mobile operating system update -- iOS 4.3 -- in December, with recurring app subscriptions.

Citing an anonymous source, MacStories on Tuesday reported that Apple plans to release iOS 4.3 in mid-December. The update will reportedly allow users to subscribe to content, like News Corp's purported tablet-only newspaper The Daily.

The latest report corroborates previous rumors that Apple is planning to hold a special media event on Dec. 9 to announce its subscription plans, as well as partnerships with content providers for newspapers and magazines. It cautioned, however, that the release of iOS 4.3 could be delayed due to unexpected issues that forced the delay of iOS 4.2.

The report said Apple hopes to release iOS 4.3 on Dec. 13, after its planned event. In addition to app subscriptions, the software update may also address initial issues with AirPlay.

The report also suggested that Apple's massive data center in North Carolina, the purpose of which remains unknown, could play a part in the release of iOS 4.3. It noted that Monday's release of iOS 4.2 strained Apple's systems, and the company could flip the switch on the server farm to help services like iTunes, MobileMe, activations and more.

MacStories previously reported that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion would adopt iOS interface elements, bringing improvements made in Apple's mobile operating system to the Mac desktop. In October, Apple announced that it would bring iOS features, such as multi-touch gestures and a Mac App Store, with the release of Lion next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Not long for testing in the field!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yeah, I really doubt the timeline.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Another update in a few weeks already? That was fast. I'm hoping there will be no delays again like iOS 4.2
  • Reply 4 of 40
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Seriously... no developer seeds or docs and we're only a few weeks out from supposed release on something that risks bad news/instability right before Christmas? I don't see it.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The mobile space is heating up really quickly. With all the tablet announcements from competitors, such as Acer's 2 new tablets today, Apple has to stay on their toes. The iPad won't have a lot of competition this year but 2011 looks to be intense.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    We don't need no stinkin news subscriptions. We want music and movie subscriptions. Speaking for myself of course but I'm sure most would agree
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the heels of the release of iOS 4.2, a new rumor claims that Apple is planning to release its next major mobile operating system update -- iOS 4.3 -- in December, with recurring app subscriptions.

I hope they make it so regular apps can go subscription as well. That way, for example, you could make a game that costs 99 cents to buy, and 99 cents a week to keep it, unless you specifically unsubscribe.

That way, the devs will flock to iOS and keep making lots of great apps. Google is just a one-trick pony with advertising.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

I hope they make it so regular apps can go subscription as well. That way, for example, you could make a game that costs 99 cents to buy, and 99 cents a week to keep it, unless you specifically unsubscribe. ....

Why would you want this? It will immediately make everything in the store more expensive than it normally would be.

This would be great for developers in that it would give them more opportunity to rape the customers, but it's exactly the opposite of what a customer needs or wants. I'm guessing you are a developer or would-be developer.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

We don't need no stinkin news subscriptions. We want music and movie subscriptions. Speaking for myself of course but I'm sure most would agree

Why would anyone want a movie subscription? Music I can kinda understand if you are into music.

The problem with movie or TV subscriptions is that you as a consumer quickly loose due to being nickeled and dime'd to death.

In any event if the subscription service for magazines and newspapers is well done I think you will quickly find that most people disagree with you. There is value in good journalism that people are willing to pay for. I'm not sure "The Daily" is what most people want to pay for but it is a start. There are a number of magazines I get regularly that I would love to see in electronic format. More importantly I want to see them both on my Mac and my iOS devices. The one thing that bothers me is this cramming every thing into the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I hope they make it so regular apps can go subscription as well. That way, for example, you could make a game that costs 99 cents to buy, and 99 cents a week to keep it, unless you specifically unsubscribe.

Who would want something like that is an app that isn't a periodical? In makes no sense when apps, games especially, already have a good solution.

Quote:

That way, the devs will flock to iOS and keep making lots of great apps. Google is just a one-trick pony with advertising.

Developers are already flocking to iOS and frankly have several avenues for the making of big bucks.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why would you want this? It will immediately make everything in the store more expensive than it normally would be.

This would be great for developers in that it would give them more opportunity to rape the customers, but it's exactly the opposite of what a customer needs or wants. I'm guessing you are a developer or would-be developer.

I see advantages to what Pomme is saying. I understand your point Prof. Peabody but if App Developers did that then they won't get sales. People are the final voice. You can make an option but we choose if and where we spend our money.

But lets look at the "Lite" Apps. You buy an app for testing and then you get it for a "trial" basis. After which if you don't like then it will disable the App and you didn't pay full price for the app.

However Pomme I believe this is for Apps that have options for content refresh within the app itself. Currently Apps do not have this feature available. They can only offer one time purchases, not re-occuring purchases.

As for field testing, I do not believe it needs field testing as it is just an option that developers can use when developing Apps. The iPad would just need an encrypted area to store data for recurring purchases.

Very possible. Makes you think \
  • Reply 12 of 40
    2011 should be an interesting year for tablets, seeing as how Apple was able to get a whole years head start on its competitors. I'm going to guess, everyone else will play catchup to Apples 1st gen iPad, while Apple comfortably rolls out its 2nd gen iPad2 leaving everyone in the proverbial dust.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, I really doubt the timeline.

It depends on what they are doing. If it?s a new API for NewsCorp to use, it could be private. For instance, if it?s basically an alteration to the Push Notification service, but instead will push the content of the periodical to the device so it?s ready for viewing without having to load it after accessing the app, then I can see this update being quickly dispersed and not needing any open testing to still effective.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Bye 4.2.1, we barely knew ya!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:

I don't think subscribing to apps is coming, but otherwise I think it is bound to happen. What do you think will happen for iWorks apps next year? Don't really think that Apple wants to give all upcoming releases for free to everyone who has already paid. But at the same time I don't really see people having two different Keynote apps side by side, that's not very Apple like.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurchon View Post

But lets look at the "Lite" Apps. You buy an app for testing and then you get it for a "trial" basis. After which if you don't like then it will disable the App and you didn't pay full price for the app.

Surely your not suggesting people start paying for the privilege of trying out a demo...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Can't wait for the day when the act of merely 'using' my phone is measured and charged. Yes, I understand that I pay for network access and for the phone itself.

Think of a game like Farmville (I prefer not to). I understand you can make progress by buying items in the game. Otherwise, making progress is much more of a grind. I think it's likely that Zynga could assess the value in charging everyone a monthly sub instead of, or on top of, buying individual bits and pieces inside of the game.

There are clear flaws in the reasoning above, but I'm not looking forward to the outcome.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Three words:

No Freakin' Way!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Who would want something like that is an app that isn't a periodical? In makes no sense when apps, games especially, already have a good solution.

Developers are already flocking to iOS and frankly have several avenues for the making of big bucks.

Gaaahhh..... He's a retread troll (iGenius et al) who likes to post chirpy little "I wish Apple would take all my money, they know best!" stuff because apparently the "fan boys" aren't being stupid enough for his tastes so he's going to make sure every thread has plenty of that style nonsense.

Let's not let him screw another thread, and please note for future reference.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Think World of Warcraft. It costs money to keep those servers and network connections up, and right now developers have 3 choices: fixed price and hope for ever-expanding sales and have later users subsidize earlier users (pyramid scheme), in-game ads, and hokey Farmville-style in-app purchases of game currency.

Give me a nice, clean subscription any day.

I can think of similar situations with business software where you want to give someone the option of an all-you-can-eat cloud service for N months for X dollars.