NPD: 11% of consumers likely to purchase Apple iPad by February

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSux View Post

A rational question, Blastdoor. Who are "consumers"?

To make the assumption than 1 in 10 americans will buy an ipad is rediculous.

I work in a technology department- so, people who are open to adopting technology. There's about 80 people here. Only 1 owns an iPad and I doubt it'll expand much more than that. Perhaps 3 at most. That's far from 11%.

Out of the 14 people in my department, all 14 own iPads.

That said, I just bought everyone one for Thanksgiving!
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Oh come on. That is just "rediculous"!
  • Reply 43 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

People often are optimistic when stating that they plan to buy something that they want. The 11% probably more accurately reflects the amount of people that want to buy an iPad. Or as TheOtherGeoff stated 11% of households but I still think that is high.

I don't think it is. There are possibly 320 million of us, and that amounts to about 100 million families. Apple sold almost 3 million here before it went foreign. So that means that in the first three months, assuming equal distribution, that is, no more than one per family, on average, almost 3 percent of families in the US already had one. That number must be much higher now.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's not unreasonable to think that some people will go ahead and buy an iPad now and then also buy the iPad2 in March. Once a household has one iPad I think it's only a matter of time before they have two.

There are three people in my family. We now have one iPad. When my daughter gets home from school in the UK in December, she will want one. My wife says that when the new one comes out, I should buy it, and she will take this one, that I'm typing on now.

That's three out of three. But then, we also have four Macs, and four iPhones.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There are three people in my family...we also have four Macs, and four iPhones.

Oh come on. That is just "rediculous"! [QUOTE=Scorpio]
  • Reply 46 of 53
    [QUOTE=hentaiboy;1758895]Oh come on. That is just "rediculous"! Yes. It is. But it's true nevertheless.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patora View Post

That's 11% of people who will be pissed when iPad 2 is released in March.

No one actually gets pissed about annual product refreshes. Those are good things.

You either buy gen 1 now, or you wait. Simplest equation of all time.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a survey of consumers conducted by the NPD Group, 11 percent said they are likely to purchase an iPad from Apple by February of 2011.

The data from a NPD "fact sheet" issued for the holiday consumer electronics buying season suggests the sales momentum for Apple's iPad has shown no signs of slowing down. Last quarter, Apple sold 4.19 million iPads, its best three-month span yet in the product's short lifespan thus far.

NPD also reiterated its findings that iPad usage increases with length of ownership. Consumers who owned an iPad for two months or less use it a fair amount: about 15 hours per week.

But time of use increases for those who have owned their iPad for a longer period of time. For those who have had Apple's touchscreen tablet for three months or more, the average length of use is about 18 hours per week.

NPD also found that 58 percent of iPad owners opted for the Wi-Fi-only model. The remaining 42 percent paid the extra $130 to have a 3G radio for wireless connectivity on the go.

For those who take their iPad outside their home, 37 percent said they use it on trips or vacations. Another 21 percent said their iPad has found uses at work, and 7 percent use the iPad on their commute to work.

NPD also revealed that 86 percent of Mac users own two or more computers. Comparatively, 65 percent of Windows PC owners have two or more computers. For Mac owners, it's likely that at least one of their extra computers is a Windows-based machine, as 97 percent of all households that have a PC own a Windows PC.

As has been evidenced by the commentators above, it is too bad that the research protocol/methodology was not disclosed in your article.

As stated on NPD's web site, re their
    Quote:

Online Consumer Panel

Through our online consumer panel, NPD offers a comprehensive view of consumer behavior and attitudes across all distribution channels and demographics. By calibrating our consumer behavior information with the point-of-sale (POS) data we collect from retailers, we can deliver the most reliable market views in the industry sectors we track. This information, in turn, gives clients unique insight into their markets and customers.

Our online consumer panel consists of more than 1.8 million registered adults and teens who have agreed to participate in our surveys. This provides NPD and our clients with unmatched insight on trends, purchasing, consumption, ownership, and usage. Our market research information is based on responses from nationally representative samples, and results are demographically balanced. The online consumer panel also provides information on customer satisfaction and allows us to conduct custom Fast Follow-Ups surveys for even greater detail about the market factors that drive consumer behavior.

Reliable, Representative Consumer Panel Research

All demographic groups are represented online, which means our consumer panel research information gives companies an accurate view of what is happening across the total retail market. Our Research Sciences team’s extensive expertise in sampling and weighting techniques ensures return samples are representative and reliable.

http://www.npd.com/corpServlet?nextp...r-panel_s.html

Certainly some may question the validity of their protocol/analysis, i.e., the panel is still composed of primarily of self-registrants members, which I would regard them as representative of typical average consumers. However, like all market research, it is the (comparative) trendlining that it suggests, is probably the most important information that they provide.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Thank you, I'm eagerly waiting for mine to show up!!
  • Reply 50 of 53
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Not impressed until I see Blu-ray penetration type statistics which is 1 in 5 households now, except for you dudes who worship at the iTunes altar of inferior video.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    I'll be getting one before I go off on vacation next June. I am SO glad I won't have to carry my MBP around with me on a plane. IMO, a LOT of people will want one for vacation travel, and I think the 11% (households, maybe) is a reasonable number.

And I'm not a techhead. I don't have Blu-Ray, all but one of my TVs are old analog sets, my cell phone is a prepaid bare bones model, and I'm usually among the last to adapt new technology. Hell, I don't even go to movies if I can avoid it. But I'm definitely getting an iPad.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I'll be getting one before I go off on vacation next June. I am SO glad I won't have to carry my MBP around with me on a plane. IMO, a LOT of people will want one for vacation travel, and I think the 11% (households, maybe) is a reasonable number.

And I'm not a techhead. I don't have Blu-Ray, all but one of my TVs are old analog sets, my cell phone is a prepaid bare bones model, and I'm usually among the last to adapt new technology. Hell, I don't even go to movies if I can avoid it. But I'm definitely getting an iPad.

It is absolutely great for traveling. Makes a trip FLY by.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Case in point, for sure. I was surprised at how quickly my mother took to it. I knew she’d like it, but I didn’t think she’d be reading all her books on it. Personally, I don’t use mine very much. I’d rather have my Mac or my iPhone. I use it for some games, for converting Pages documents to ePub for studying, and watching AVIs when "mobile but stationary". I still grab my iPhone or Mac for email and internet.

same here but since i used pulse app for iPad i like to read the news there... simple and amazing app...