Report predicts "monster holiday season" for Apple

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple appears set to ride a surging wave of holiday spending, with customers reporting a big jump in their plans to buy new Mac notebooks over the next three months.

According to research performed by ChangeWave, buyers who report plans to buy a new notebook computer in the next 90 days have peaked to 10 percent of the survey group of 2,812 people, the highest level noted in the last three years.

Apple's share of that market has also jumped, from around 25 percent to 36 percent of the survey group. Buyers' sharply increased plans are likely related to the introduction of the new MacBook Air, which reaches new lower price points while delivering iPad-like portability.

Research director Paul Carton wrote, "the manufacturer most responsible for the surge in laptop demand is Apple, with 36 percent of planned laptops buyers saying they'll purchase a Mac, a huge 11 percentage point jump since our previous survey of a month ago.

"Simply put," Carton said, "it's the highest level of planned laptop buying ever for Apple in a ChangeWave survey."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder how those MacBook Airs will sell when they are just really slow “netbooks” for 3x the price, according to some.

• Reply 2 of 57
    Curse those insider traders!!!

Like this should be a surprise to anyone here...
  • Reply 3 of 57
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder how those MacBook Airs will sell when they are just really slow “netbooks” for 3x the price, according to some. \

New Benchmarks Show 13-Inch MacBook Air Rivaling Its MacBook Pro Counterpart

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/26/...o-counterpart/
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

New Benchmarks Show 13-Inch MacBook Air Rivaling Its MacBook Pro Counterpart

well, this shows that its faster, but this is access times, when you try running something CPU or GPU intensive, show me the benchmarks.

that being said, a lot of people wouldn't need this speed.

also, i believe a test was with flash, vs. w/ out flash, but no other add ons, i would say these tests aren't that great...
  • Reply 5 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You pick up the average netbook at BestBuy and you're likely to think "yeah, it's about all I can afford, I guess."

You pick up an 11" Air and you're likely to think "I wonder if I can scrape up a little more money so I can get this?"

The combination of size, weight, solidity, full size keyboard, excellent screen and OS X is just very compelling. I have no earthly use for one and I have to talk myself down every time I pick one up. Typically for Apple, a lot of little things go into a highly desirable whole.

For instance, i think I remember some people claiming that the Apple videos showing the 11" being flipped open with one hand were misleading, because the thing was so light you had to hold it down to get the screen up. But every one I've played with gets that exactly right, where it's almost effortless to lift the screen, but it stays exactly where you put it. Don't know if wear and tear will take a toll on this, but if it's designed like my MacBook Pro it seems to hold up pretty well. I think Apple may be the only CE company out there that would be willing to spend (what I would imagine to be) a great deal of time and effort to make sure something like lifting and orienting the screen is excellent.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I wonder how those MacBook Airs will sell when they are just really slow ?netbooks? for 3x the price, according to some. \

You mean "if", right, because let's face it, according to some, Elvis is still alive and working in a 7-11 in Tennessee .....
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You mean "if", right, because let's face it, according to some, Elvis is still alive and working in a 7-11 in Tennessee .....

I think “since” is most appropriate for my passive-agressive comment toward those that think the MBA is slower than a netbook.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    What happened to the recession?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not funny.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Not funny.

Don?t tell me you think Elvis is alive.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I wonder how those MacBook Airs will sell when they are just really slow ?netbooks? for 3x the price, according to some. \

In fact they are slow notebook but fast netbooks. Even the air gimp core 2 duo are much faster than the intel atom you find in netbooks
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

I've just ordered an 11" with the slightly faster processor and 4G RAM which is apparently the most popular configuration and pops up on the online store automatically. It will replace the original MBA that's nearly 3 years old (2/08).

The current one replaced my aluminum PB-G4. Are they slower than a mainframe? Yes. Is there anything I need that requires more speed? No.

Is the new MBA a netbook? No.

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about? No.

What is the problem with the posters on this site every day and night? Has anyone put a gun to your head and said you must buy Apple products? No.

I'm going to be 65 this weekend. I suffered through DOS and Windows for 15 or so years and then switched in 2004. The first computer I purchased was a DEC PDP-10. It cost $100K. Yes, a hundred thousand dollars when that was actually money (1981). My MBA can do more, faster, easier. I do have an Apple Display for photo editing.

Why oh why can't children like you be content with your toys and let others be happy with theirs? If you love WinTel, great. Enjoy, be happy. I wouldn't think to criticize your choices because I don't care. Unless you're shorting AAPL why do you all try to denigrate everything AAPL. And yes, I bought some stock at $175 and watched it tank, but had faith and now it's well over $300. But more importantly I love my Macs.

I think the AAPL haters just need to adhere to DADT. What do you guys say to that?
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Was my sarcasm really that hard to pick up? I even added “according to some” followed by a disapproving emoticon.

PS: I edited my initial post to make it more obvious.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think Apple may be the only CE company out there that would be willing to spend (what I would imagine to be) a great deal of time and effort to make sure something like lifting and orienting the screen is excellent.

Someone, in "Welcome To Macintosh," said that Apple spends a lot of time and money designing their products, like MacBook (Airs, Pros, etc) to just work mechanically with little effort. And that aspects like hinges, handles, and levers are designed to work very simply, while being very complex, although the average individual would never realize it.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You pick up the average netbook at BestBuy and you're likely to think "yeah, it's about all I can afford, I guess."

You pick up an 11" Air and you're likely to think "I wonder if I can scrape up a little more money so I can get this?"

The combination of size, weight, solidity, full size keyboard, excellent screen and OS X is just very compelling. I have no earthly use for one and I have to talk myself down every time I pick one up. Typically for Apple, a lot of little things go into a highly desirable whole.

For instance, i think I remember some people claiming that the Apple videos showing the 11" being flipped open with one hand were misleading, because the thing was so light you had to hold it down to get the screen up. But every one I've played with gets that exactly right, where it's almost effortless to lift the screen, but it stays exactly where you put it. Don't know if wear and tear will take a toll on this, but if it's designed like my MacBook Pro it seems to hold up pretty well. I think Apple may be the only CE company out there that would be willing to spend (what I would imagine to be) a great deal of time and effort to make sure something like lifting and orienting the screen is excellent.

Great observations. It's the attention to detail that sets Apple apart. Despite the fact that this drives some folks up the wall, and the fact that Apple doesn't always get it 100% right (but then, who does?), the knowledge that the company goes the extra design mile on behalf of the consumer is finally paying off.

Things sometimes take time to catch up, but they inevitably do.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

I think the AAPL haters just need to adhere to DADT. What do you guys say to that?

Someone doesn't get to nearly 20,000 posts on this forum by being an "AAPL hater".

Stick around a little while, go with the flow, and you'll catch the drift.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Don?t tell me you think Elvis is alive.

Of course he is. But he doesn't work in a 7-11 in Tenn. He does exhaust work in a small town in the northwest. Actually I think he's retired now. Used to drive around in a cool old chevy. I saw him often in the hardware store and the like. Always paid with cash. I haven't seen him in a number of years but never count Elvis out.

Apple is going to do exceedingly well this holiday. The phone/pad/touch trifecta would be enough but they have the halo effect for the Mac line and apple just made that decision even easier for people with the new MBA. An online software store coming soon. Oprah likes Apple, the Beatles like Apple(even though the good ones are dead).

I know, captain obvious.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Someone doesn't get to nearly 20,000 posts on this forum by being an "AAPL hater".

Stick around a little while, go with the flow, and you'll catch the drift.

In defense of Justfine, it's not too difficult a mistake to make for the same reason Sol posted in the first place. Definatly ironic.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

I wonder how those MacBook Airs will sell when they are just really slow ?netbooks? for 3x the price, according to some.

I don't see the MBA being the reason for a monster holiday season for Apple. I still believe even with the rumors of a new iPad coming that the iPad will be the big winner.

The MBA is cool but really for a little bit more going with a MBP 13" is reallyt the way I think most people are going to go unless they just simply want a machine that thin and small.

When I go into my local Apple Store I just don't see that much interest in the MBA compared to other Apple products. I think this year its going to be the typical Macbooks, iPod Touch and add in the iPad as the big winners for the holiday season.

But I do think the MBA is really cool.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't see the MBA being the reason for a monster holiday season for Apple. I still believe even with the rumors of a new iPad coming that the iPad will be the big winner.

The MBA is cool but really for a little bit more going with a MBP 13" is reallyt the way I think most people are going to go unless they just simply want a machine that thin and small.

When I go into my local Apple Store I just don't see that much interest in the MBA compared to other Apple products. I think this year its going to be the typical Macbooks, iPod Touch and add in the iPad as the big winners for the holiday season.

But I do think the MBA is really cool.

You may be right, but I've been really struck by all the positive responses around the web from folks once they'd held one in their hands.

The actual announcement got the usual range of responses, but the 11" in particular seems to have some mysterious power to cloud men's minds. I've lost count of the number of posts I've seen on various forums wherein the skeptical go to check one out and almost shamefacedly emerge with an Air under their arm.

There's just something really dead sexy about the combination of super rigid, solid feeling unibody design, feather weight, great screen, good keyboard and OS X. $999 starting price doesn't hurt, either-- it's just low enough to keep folks from walking away with disgust at the "Apple tax."

I just have a feeling, anecdotally based as it may be, that the Air is going to have massive holiday sales. It's the new MacBook, for all intents and purposes, the cheap Mac notebook-- but instead of feeling like you're "settling" for the cheap Mac, it feels like totally top drawer all the way.