Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Initially and for several years it was seen that way, first with portable cassette players and then with portable CD players.

Hmmm, I don't remember it that way. I remember the walkman as being pretty much "music" right out of the gate. No real way to evaluate the ambient mood of 35 years ago, I don't guess.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

... the reactions of the audience seemed over the top. [reminds me of] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZKjJt-TkU

"I was just about to scroll down to it but it's too late now." [2:42]

• Reply 103 of 126
    I'm still in love with mine, and iOS 4.2 gives more to love.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    I don't know why anyone would buy one this holiday seeing as the new version will most likely be out in March. I'm glad it is doing so well. I really want one but I will wait for the 2nd gen model.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy one this holiday seeing as the new version will most likely be out in March. I'm glad it is doing so well. I really want one but I will wait for the 2nd gen model.

I don't know why anyone would buy one ever, seeing as a new model will always be out in a matter of months.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy one ever, seeing as a new model will always be out in a matter of months.

Simple reason ................Its Holiday time and people need gifts. After all you can't put a note in a box saying I owe you one 2nd generation IPAD.
  • Reply 107 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think it?s that hard, but I understand where you are coming from. Usually, the coolest items are not the most commonly bought because they tend to be very expensive. Take, jets, yacht, cars, etc. But with CE the prices are low enough that even the high-end models within these product categories are still obtainable. Therefore, I think for Apple to be able to maintain that ?hip? appeal they simply have to keep doing what they are doing.

Serious question; are you suggesting that Apple are only as popular and successful as they currently are because they have a 'hip' or 'cool' image? The reason I ask is because of the tireless number of threads about Apple vs. the rest of the world where it's concluded that Apple are so successful because they make better products. However, if part of that success is based on their cool image, surely that diminishes the argument that they simply make the better product?

You can clearly see the 2 sides of the coin here; the Apple fans with say that their success is because of them making the better product, whereas the Apple haters will say it's because they are simply the 'in thing' right now. The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. Apple make strong products that are seen as hip and cool. Lose one or both qualities and Apple's success would be nowhere near where it currently stands.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

The vultures = people who consistently post negatively on AI about all things Apple. If you don't like Apple just don't come here and you can live in your own little bubble. I don't support Android, so therefore I don't go to Android blogs sites. Is it that hard to understand?

Do you mean that you live in a bigger bubble? Or just in a different one? Or do you assume that some one has their own and you (what a shame) has only a common-"sheep" bubble?

I absolutely have no idea why are you explaining me what "vultures" is. Definitely there are people who constantly post negative things. And I don't take notice of any of such individual to remember them. So if you wanted my attention to any one who does so, you needed to be more specific.

And who is Android? Is he Republican?
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post

Here's an idea, if you're serious, Oprah: Donate 275 of them to Detroit schoolchildren next.

Why don't YOU do that?
  • Reply 110 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post

Here's an idea, if you're serious, Oprah: Donate 275 of them to Detroit schoolchildren next.

Think she built a whole school in Africa dude.

She's a hard working person who truly went from rags to riches. I find her a bit inspiring honestly.
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

She's a hard working person who truly went from rags to riches. I find her a bit inspiring honestly.

She also gave us Chicago's BHO and what an epic fail he's turned out to be.

But really- it's all about her magazine anyway. People are so easily manipulated , it's amazing!
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Agreed. Why buy now when you can get a better, faster, lighter version by February or the exact same one sold now for at least $100 less?
  • Reply 113 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Simple reason ................Its Holiday time and people need gifts. After all you can't put a note in a box saying I owe you one 2nd generation IPAD.

You missed my sardonic tone. The logic of the statement would lead to never buying any technology product at any time because a newer and better one is always just around the corner. Fortunately for technology companies like Apple, few people seem to actually think this way.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

She also gave us Chicago's BHO and what an epic fail he's turned out to be.

But really- it's all about her magazine anyway. People are so easily manipulated , it's amazing!

I like how she's always on the cover of her own magazine. Narcissist much?
  • Reply 115 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Serious question; are you suggesting that Apple are only as popular and successful as they currently are because they have a 'hip' or 'cool? image?

I would never suggest such a thing.
  • Reply 116 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Ya a school in Africa. Because you know, that's where she's from right? Maybe build a bloody school in the US instead.

I find her extremely annoying honestly.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Do these people really react like this ? are they on crack or something ? Could someone tell them to get a grip on reality.

Sorry, maybe I was unfair, did they let them out for the weekend ?

Oh does the iPad come with an app to remind them to take their meds ?

Anyway clever marketing by Apple / Orpah
  • Reply 118 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Do these people really react like this ? are they on crack or something ? Could someone tell them to get a grip on reality.

Sorry, maybe I was unfair, did they let them out for the weekend ?

Well, I mean, it is television. They've been strenuously encouraged, off camera, to lose their minds. And then if everybody else is in on it it becomes a fun bit of theater.

Same as for reality shows, where hugely exaggerated reactions and pointless shouting are pretty much the norm. Average, boring people are always surprised and amused to discover that a bit of play acting and some editing has made of them super-villians or hapless fall guys.
  • Reply 119 of 126
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I thought her favorite thing ever was Ben and Jerry's.

More like Ben and Jerry's , Häagen-Dazs , and all 31 flavors of Baskin Robbins.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    I bet all the Genius Bar staff are thrilled about this. Muah ha ha ha ah ha