RIM's PlayBook may undercut Apple iPad at $399 - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

It currently undercuts the iPad in price.

However, it only has a 7" screen - most users would see a $499 iPad with twice the memory, a larger screen, and a plethora of native apps., as a much better deal.

Excellent point. The starting price might be lower, but you don?t exactly get the same product, just the same product category.

Quote:

I think the praybook has potential - a qnx-based operating system and a cortex a9 CPU - however adobe air as the main development toolset?

No native API

There goes the advantage of the cortex a9 down the toilet

You make plenty of good points, but I?d also say that having Adobe Air as the UI also gives RiM a built-in developer base, which they desperately need. How this will affect the overall UI usability and developer community in the long run still remains to be seen.

It?s pretty silly that anyone ? especially people on these forums who claim to be tech savvy*? use the processing power to decide the ?performance? of these devices. As you noted, having a resource hungry UI stripes away your HW advantage. Only devices using the same OS can really be compared directly? but that won?t be changing anytime soon.
  • Reply 102 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Maylong's M-150 may undercut Apple iPad and RIM's PlayBook at $129.

So there. A winner has been declared in the tablet race to the bottom!

I like the way Walgreen's lies about why they're not selling it anymore. They call it "extremely high demand". But actually, it's because everyone buying it, returns it. Read the reviews on their page. A joke!

a professional review;

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...oid-tablet.ars

Oh, and I just found this, referring from the Ars review. It's great. Apparently, this isn't as useless as we were lead to believe!

http://bbyopen.com/2010/11/maylong-a...than-you-think
  • Reply 103 of 166
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If, as I think, they are aiming for the business market, then the holiday season isn't as important to them. Don't forget that Apple missed it too, with the iPad.

Q4 is the biggest business quarter of the year as well. Its big all around, not just in the retail consumer market.

The issue is that 5-6 million people are going to buy tablets in Q4 2010. Those are people that won't be in the market in Q1. There will be people buying tablets in Q1, but not in a Q4 frenzy.

Apple and Samsung are going to gobble up thanksgiving dinner. RIM is going to show up the next day and get leftovers.
  • Reply 104 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Excellent point. The starting price might be lower, but you don?t exactly get the same product, just the same product category.

You make plenty of good points, but I?d also say that having Adobe Air as the UI also gives RiM a built-in developer base, which they desperately need. How this will affect the overall UI usability and developer community in the long run still remains to be seen.

It?s pretty silly that anyone ? especially people on these forums who claim to be tech savvy*? use the processing power to decide the ?performance? of these devices. As you noted, having a resource hungry UI stripes away your HW advantage. Only devices using the same OS can really be compared directly? but that won?t be changing anytime soon.

You make a very good point about the advantages of RIM going with adobe air, however adobe air - in addition to being resource hungry, is very limited - compared to something like obj. C with a native API.

Sure they'll rally every flash developer out there, but imho you'll be hard pressed to see apps. with the breadth and depth of native iPad apps. right away.

The big wildcard here is what the ipad2 is spec'ed at - if apple is as aggressive as I think they could be, RIM is in trouble.
  • Reply 105 of 166
    RIM can undercut all they want.

funny though. How the helll are they supposedly spending millions doing R&D on making this playbook yet they are going to undercut(rumor) the iPad which cost tens of million to make? And iPad ain't cheap. RIM is a joke. I bet they are using nothing but off the shelf crap and stock software that they are hyping up as theirs. "A WORK IN PROGRESS".

It all smells fishy. Watch the CEO haul a** before the fall of 2011 and RIM get broken into pieces.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 106 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Q4 is the biggest business quarter of the year as well. Its big all around, not just in the retail consumer market.

The issue is that 5-6 million people are going to buy tablets in Q4 2010. Those are people that won't be in the market in Q1. There will be people buying tablets in Q1, but not in a Q4 frenzy.

Apple and Samsung are going to gobble up thanksgiving dinner. RIM is going to show up the next day and get leftovers.

I don't think it would have made much difference. You notice how RIM's stuff is almost always "buy one get one free" in the forth quarter? That brings their numbers up for that all important time. But if they didn't, their numbers might be 20% lower. I really don't think it will matter. But then, I don't see this as doing great no matter what.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

RIM can undercut all they want.

funny though. How the helll are they supposedly spending millions doing R&D on making this playbook yet they are going to undercut(rumor) the iPad which cost tens of million to make? And iPad ain't cheap. RIM is a joke. I bet they are using nothing but off the shelf crap and stock software that they are hyping up as theirs. "A WORK IN PROGRESS".

It all smells fishy. Watch the CEO haul a** before the fall of 2011 and RIM get broken into pieces.

Just my two cents.

Rim undercutting ipad is a mistake - better that they let the praybook gestate - refine both the hw and sw - for a few more months - and put out a really solid release.

Qnx is a great base, but take the time to optimize and fine-tune the os and UI.

Develop a native API and standardize on a development toolset ideal for a state of the art mobile platform.

Scrap the 7" screen - do some usability testing - increase the screen size.

Get competitive - go with amoled or a better screen technology.

Get innovative with the design - iPad is the baseline - make it lighter, better battery life, etc.
  • Reply 108 of 166
    Just in time for iPad 2 which very well may double storage for same price.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    $399 may get you a playbook tablet but not a Tablet with all the features and capabilities.
  • Reply 110 of 166
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Despite what all the guys with smaller tablets say, size really does matter.

Ever wonder why small people drive around large SUVs?

They are compensating for their small stature.
  • Reply 111 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Since when is the iPad a minivan and the PlayBook a Ferrari?

Hahaha!!! Now that's real funny
  • Reply 112 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Ever wonder why small people drive around large SUVs?

They are compensating for their small stature.

So I guess large people drive mini coopers?
  • Reply 113 of 166
    Competing against Apple solely on price is usually a losing proposition. Jim no-ballsilie seems to be under the delusion that this time it'll be different.
  • Reply 114 of 166
    Hello AI! Please check out the original article from Mobility Insider.

http://mobilityinsider.com/2010/11/1...erry-playbook/

To begin with the whole writing seems overly positive. All the specs are copy pasted. The video is suspiciously short and bad. AND when you search for Mobility Insider on Google the website/blog does not appear, which is strange if in any way popular. So it must be pretty new. Plus there are some comments as well and posting names which sounds a tad too much cliché in my opinion having read a lot of forums. I guess we might have been played...What do you think?

It pisses me off because the news are all over the internet - and I am a bit dissapointed that AI are not more critical towards sources. But even more tried being manipulated by I guess, the marketing department of Blackberry or such.

Update: and here they are defending themselves from others questioning them, rich text and everything. Ryder - if I was writing a Hollywood movie script, this is how I would name my lead part, played by Tom Cruise:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/mo...2011-a-556250/
  • Reply 115 of 166
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I actually think that RIM is doing the correct thing with the Playbook and the OS - a proper tablet OS, not tweaking Android, or *shudder* forcing Windows 7 to run on it.

However it has got a lesser specification than the iPad with the 7" display, so it needs to undercut the iPad. That is only going to happen if iPad 2 costs more (because of extra features) now. Why would I pick the Playbook over the iPad otherwise?

Oh, there's the dual-core 1GHz processor - that will be nice in a multitasking environment. But iPad 2 is surely going to utilise something similar.

There's 1GB of RAM - a major advantage - except the iPad gets by with 256MB just fine, and iPad 2 will surely have 512MB at least.

The MicroHDMI port is nice - Apple need to up their game on HDMI support for iPad, even if it is a part of the standard iPad 2 dock range.

Flash ... except Flash sucks on mobile devices.

Cameras are good - iPad 2 will have these (surely). 5MP and 3MP for the playbook, but does the front "facebook" camera need to be 3MP!

Software... iPad is likely to win hands down because it is more mature, massive library, and the built-in software has Apple's ease of use and, in some cases, nearly ten years of usability knowledge applied.

Personally I think the Playbook should be $299 for the 7" 8GB version. I mean, in the end it's essentially a netbook without a keyboard (cheaper casing) and using a vastly cheaper processor solution and with fewer moving parts.
  • Reply 116 of 166
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

But some things are better after sitting around awhile ? some thing!

Skip
  • Reply 117 of 166
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

First impression: RIM is going to offer a special promotion -- BNGO (pronounced BINGO), stands for Buy None Get One

• Reply 118 of 166
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    This is fantastic. iPad still seems too expensive for what it is in some markets. Certainly its a lot more than netbook pricing which many might compare it too.

This help puts pressure on Apple to drop iPad pricing, particularly given Blackberry's Playbook has better specified hardware than the iPad.
  • Reply 119 of 166
    There's an 8GB model?

Seems somewhat of a waste. Reminds me when Apple sold the 4GB iPhone.
  • Reply 120 of 166
    Half the storage and half the screen for only 80% of the price!

That sounds like a good deal, doesn't it ... ?