Why is my MBP anodized aluminum starting to discolor

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to get rid off some discoloration on a 2010 MBP 13 inch? The anodized aluminum interior is starting to discolor why? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Smoke...?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Smoke...?

Please be more specific I don't smoke at all neither does my wife. I live in the Philippines does the humidity have anything to do with this problem?

Thanks any solutions do you have for me?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Please be more specific I don't smoke at all neither does my wife. I live in the Philippines does the humidity have anything to do with this problem?

Thanks any solutions do you have for me?

First we need to find out exactly what the problem is. That is not clear from your description.

If nobody smokes around that machine smoke cannot be the reason, obviously. Humidity might. Have you tried locating it in airconditioned (=dehydrating) surroundings for a few weeks? Have you tried 'cleaning' it? If so, how? Why don't you shoot a few pictures and post 'm so that we can see what you're talking about?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

First we need to find out exactly what the problem is. That is not clear from your description.

If nobody smokes around that machine smoke cannot be the reason, obviously. Humidity might. Have you tried locating it in airconditioned (=dehydrating) surroundings for a few weeks? Have you tried 'cleaning' it? If so, how? Why don't you shoot a few pictures and post 'm so that we can see what you're talking about?

I will be more specific thanks it is on the left and right side of the track pad where the elbow rest or the palm. I do not use my palms as it sits on a desk and my palms rest on the desk.I used some tap water and a micro fiber cloth and perhaps rubbed to hard to get the finish off.Someone suggested aluminum polish for cars to get the shine back to the original color.Is this right?What is your email address and i will email you some shots that we are talking about. Thanks gerald
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

What is your email address and i will email you some shots that we are talking about. Thanks gerald

The concept of a forum like this one is that the whole community can read your questions, in detail, and that others (plural) can suggest various solutions, in detail. So upload your photos ? no larger than 800x600 ? to e.g. Photobucket.com, then copy the image codes (IMG), and post them here so that we all can see them.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Just to clarify things, the aluminum finish of apple laptops is not anodized. It is raw aluminum treated with a sandblasting matte finishing process.

Definitely don't use any kind of polish. You will "polish" shiny spots right into the matte finish. Don't push too hard, even with a microfibre cloth. In fact, using a softly applied cotton cloth would be more advisable.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I always like in when the spam guy bursts into the room with the crazy eyes shouting gibberish.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I always like in when the spam guy bursts into the room with the crazy eyes shouting gibberish.

Well, at least one of us appreciates their improprieties then.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robothamor View Post

I am understand about this this will be very helpful for all.

Dress Up Games

What is your solution to my problem please tell me?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

He's a spammer. Don't reply; just report.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

You are talking to a robot. Snap out of it.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Use isopropyl alcohol to clean it making sure that oils and debris are wiped away. then try to use a mix of club soda and a pinch of salt.. make sure u use it with some cloth.. do not pour it on the mbp!

palarin ka sana
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgepradeep View Post

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean it making sure that oils and debris are wiped away. then try to use a mix of club soda and a pinch of salt.. make sure u use it with some cloth.. do not pour it on the mbp!

palarin ka sana

Thanks someone told me to use denatured alcohol 50% and 50% distilled water to get it shiny again.They told me that is what iklear uses in their products.Is this correct do you think? ga
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Thanks someone told me to use denatured alcohol 50% and 50% distilled water to get it shiny again.They told me that is what iklear uses in their products.Is this correct do you think? ga

I believe it would have the same effect.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

I believe it would have the same effect.

How about if i use 70@ isophyrol alcohol with a micro fiber cloth to try to shine it up? thanks
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

How about if i use 70@ isophyrol alcohol with a micro fiber cloth to try to shine it up? thanks

Again, the effects should be the same. I'm surprised you haven't tried it yet.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

I will be truthful with you I am afraid if I use this 70% Iso.Alcohol the finish on the aluminum will turn another color and I will be screwed them it this happens.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

I tried it today and nothing really happened differently. Still have same color as before.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Does anyone know how to get rid off some discoloration on a 2010 MBP 13 inch? The anodized aluminum interior is starting to discolor why? Thanks

Interior?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Interior?

I mean where the track pad is located the right and left sides of it .