XM radio and apple tv

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Good evening. I would like to stream xm radio from my itunes account through my apple tv2 to my receiver. It seems that itunes will not play xm although there is an app for the iphone and ipad. Does anybody know if I am missing something or if there are plans to include the app in the tv.

Thanks

Teemer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teemer View Post

Does anybody know if I am missing something or if there are plans to include the app in the tv.

As of today I don't believe there is any way to accomplish this.

Near term possibility: Once iOS 4.2 is released, XM radio should be able to update their iPhone app to support AirPlay, which will allow you to stream from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to your AppleTV. Whether or not this happens (and when) depends on how motivated XM is to add new features to their app.

Long term possibility: I believe the AppleTV is on a track similar to the iPhone's. I am sure it will be opened to apps, just like the phone was at V2. It will not run iPhone/iPad apps, since. My prediction is it will be announced at WWDC next summer; unfortunately not soon.

Assuming this does come true, it would still be up to XM to create an Apple TV version of their streaming app, although I would consider that to be likely.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the info. It is kinda what I thought was going to happen, it would be nice if they could all just get along. When I get an iphone I think it may be possible as there is an app for the iphone and then stream to the tv through airplay. Kinda convoluted but it may work.

Teemer
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Check out MusicDock.

Downloaded it this AM and it lets me log into XM Sirrius and airplay it to my home theater.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddyleesvsu View Post

Check out MusicDock.

Downloaded it this AM and it lets me log into XM Sirrius and airplay it to my home theater.

Thanks I will try it.

Teemer