IDC: Android poised to pass Apple's iOS, Nokia's Symbian in Europe

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google's Android mobile operating system will pass Apple's iOS and Nokia's Symbian in 2011 to become the top smartphone platform in all of Europe, IDC has predicted.

IDC analyst Francisco Jeronimo told Bloomberg that Android, which was nipping at the heels of Apple's iOS in the third quarter of 2010, will likely surpass both Apple and Nokia next year. In the last quarter, Nokia's Symbian represented 34 percent of smartphone sales in Western Europe, the iPhone was 24 percent, and Android was 23 percent.

"The iPhone was last year's hot device and now people are looking for something different," Jeronimo reportedly said. He added that he believes the new Samsung Galaxy S offers a similar experience to the iPhone at a lower price.

Samsung was propelled by the launch of the Galaxy S last quarter, helping it achieve 14 percent of Android-based handset shipments. HTC was the Android leader in Europe representing 39 percent, followed by Sony Ericsson with 27 percent.

Android's ascendancy in Europe follows it surpassing the iPhone in the U.S. earlier this year. Google's free operating system is available to multiple hardware makers and device manufacturers who create smartphones and tablets in a variety of form factors, while iOS, which powers the iPhone and iPad, is restricted to hardware made by Apple.

But a recent survey found that Apple could stunt the growth of Android, at least in the U.S., if the iPhone were available on more carriers. A poll of recent smartphone buyers found that 34 percent of those not on AT&T, the exclusive carrier of Apple's smartphone, would have preferred to buy the iPhone.

According to Nielsen, even the launch of the iPhone 4 over the summer could not stop the market share growth of Android. Phones running Android in the U.S. are available on all four major wireless carriers, but in many countries in Europe, the iPhone is also available on multiple carriers.

While Android's total market share has grown, no single handset running Google's mobile operating system has compared to Apple's iPhone. The iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in its first three days, and went on to ship a record 14.1 million last quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    This was to be expected and I also believe that is is true that Apple could and would slow down the growth of Android in the US if they went multi carrier.
  • Reply 2 of 118
    While I do appreciate that a horserace makes for a more compelling storyline, I do not understand why writers continue to speak of Android overtaking Apple iOS. The real story is that Android is replacing Windows. Period.

If you want to write about Android and Apple, then what seems interesting to me is the fact that Apple "software cum hardware" approach is so powerful in a world that has grown up with the windows strategy.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of this.
  • Reply 3 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's Android mobile operating system will pass Apple's iOS and Nokia's Symbian in 2011 to become the top smartphone platform in all of Europe, IDC has predicted....

I really wish tech sites would stop reporting what manufacturers self-report as sold to their distributors and channels as actual consumer interest.

Android sells more, we all know that. This does not necessarily equate to consumers being interested in or using the product. They give Android phones away for free where I live and "sales" are through the roof, but I still rarely see anyone using one on the train.
  • Reply 4 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TommyB View Post

While I do appreciate that a horserace makes for a more compelling storyline, I do not understand why writers continue to speak of Android overtaking Apple iOS. The real story is that Android is replacing Windows. Period.

If you want to write about Android and Apple, then what seems interesting to me is the fact that Apple "software cum hardware" approach is so powerful in a world that has grown up with the windows strategy.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of this.

Its doing all of the above. It has already replaced Windows Mobile by far, It has beaten up RIM and its giving iOS very strong run, in some cases beating it out. There isn't any company that is so powerful that they remain powerful forever. History has proven that time and time again. Apple is on top now, for many decades they were not even considered a contender.
  • Reply 5 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its doing all of the above. It has already replaced Windows Mobile by far, It has beaten up RIM and its giving iOS very strong run, in some cases beating it out. There isn't any company that is so powerful that they remain powerful forever. History has proven that time and time again. Apple is on top now, for many decades they were not even considered a contender.

Do you even understand what you are saying is pure BS?
  • Reply 6 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Actually I understand this very well. You made a statement with nothing to back it up which is commone for people like you on this forum. At least if your going to say something make a point.

Android growth is not something you can really debate. I am sure that upsets you but its a simple fact.
  • Reply 7 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

No... [hmmmmm, on edit] He actually admits that he understands that it's pure bs.
  • Reply 8 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

No... [actually, on edit] He actually admits that he understands that it's pure bs.

Okay so whats BS. Is Android growing? The answer is yes in some cases by over 800%. This is fact even you can look up. Is Windows Mobile dead, Yes clearly. Is RIM taking a hit, yes clearly.

For many decades was Apple the doormat of MS, yes clearly.

So tell me where I am wrong and prove it.
  • Reply 9 of 118
    Quote:

Okay so whats BS. Is Android growing? The answer is yes in some cases by over 800%. This is fact even you can look up. Is Windows Mobile dead, Yes clearly. Is RIM taking a hit, yes clearly.

For many decades was Apple the doormat of MS, yes clearly.

So tell me where I am wrong and prove it.

He asked if you understood what you are saying is pure bs and you said, and I quote, "Actually I understand this very well.".
  • Reply 10 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He asked if you understood what you are saying is pure bs and you said, and I quote, "Actually I understand this very well.".

Again you said nothing. If you aren't going to contribute something to the topic then stop posting, it only makes you sound like an ass. If you have something to add to the topic find, if not go away and act like a child somewhere else.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    Quote:

This was to be expected and I also believe that is is true that Apple could and would slow down the growth of Android in the US if they went multi carrier.

I don't fully agree. In the US, Apple has about 6.5% of the smartphone market. In other countries with multiple carriers (UK, Canada, etc). market share is around 10%. The US phone market is relatively small.

The real issue is that Apple is selling 1 model versus 50-60 Androids. This is similar to the MAC versus PC syndrome.
  • Reply 12 of 118
    Competition in the smartphone market is not a zero-sum game. If the market were 100% saturated it would be... but it's far from it. iPhone will continue to see blockbuster growth, and yes, free Android handsets (with GOOG hoping to make a few ad $$ on the back end) will grow as well. In many cases the free option will out-grow the iPhone. Big deal. Would AAPL like it if Android weren't competing? Of course. Would they sell more? Sure. But this is the real world, and there is competition. AAPL will continue as it always has to make a superior product, and more and more people will buy it.

In the phone world, carrier matters at least as much as handset, which is a big reason for Android's success. Get iPhones into Verizon showrooms, and their counterparts around the world, and iPhone market share is sure to pick up.
  • Reply 13 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I don't fully agree. In the US, Apple has about 6.5% of the smartphone market. In other countries with multiple carriers (UK, Canada, etc). market share is around 10%. The US phone market is relatively small.

The real issue is that Apple is selling 1 model versus 50-60 Androids. This is similar to the MAC versus PC syndrome.

Android isn't really seeling 50-60 phones in the US market. I doubt they are even selling that worldwide. Most of the Android phones listed are not even being sold anymore in the US and have a much older version of their OS. The phones that are really being sold in the US are the ones that can at least run 2.1 and in most cases 2.2, Evo, Incredible, Droid 2 and Droid X.

Clearly more then Apple but not 50-60. The ones that are selling and will continue to sell are the ones that can match the iPhone on hardware specs and run 2.2 and beyond. Don't see too many people walking around with an HTC Desire or Hero these days.
  • Reply 14 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really wish tech sites would stop reporting what manufacturers self-report as sold to their distributors and channels as actual consumer interest.

Android sells more, we all know that. This does not necessarily equate to consumers being interested in or using the product. They give Android phones away for free where I live and "sales" are through the roof, but I still rarely see anyone using one on the train.

This is very true.

When Samsung reported 600,000 sales of the Galaxy Tab, how many were inventory sales?

When i first laid eyes on the Galaxy Tab in PC World/Currys, it was £529, then it was £499 and yesterday it was £448. I asked the sales guy how many they'd sold in that store, and it's a pretty big store, his answer non, hence the fire sale.

iPad was all but sold out.
  • Reply 15 of 118
    Ok so a free OS pimped by about every freaking smartphone maker out there is flooding the market more than iOS. Who cares.

Apple controls iOS 100% while so they get 100% of the money!

As for the Android crowd, well there are literally dozens of models on the world market and plenty of players. So you do the math. Why the hell should Apple be worried? They aren't in the marginalized OS pitt known as Android.
  • Reply 16 of 118
    Quote:

Again you said nothing. If you aren't going to contribute something to the topic then stop posting, it only makes you sound like an ass. If you have something to add to the topic find, if not go away and act like a child somewhere else.

• Reply 17 of 118
    Just try to buy one here. Even certified Apple resellers refuse to sell them because Apple can't deliver them enough stock (they even make this statement on their websites:

Quote:

"Beste klant,

Op 30 juli introduceerde Apple de nieuwe iPhone 4 in België. Het toestel is echter zo populair dat Apple in de verste verte de vraag niet kan bijhouden.

De aantallen die Switch zou kunnen krijgen zijn zodanig klein dat we genoodzaakt zijn om de iPhone 4 niet in ons gamma op te nemen. Het is bijgevolg niet mogelijk om een iPhone bij Switch te bestellen, en dit tot wij zeker zijn dat we op regelmatige basis redelijke hoeveelheden kunnen leveren, hetgeen we dan ook prompt zullen melden via onze website en in onze winkels.

"

Translation:

Quote:

"Dear Customer,

On July 30th, Apple introduced the new iPhone in Belgium. But the device is so popular that Apple can not keep even the slightest demand.

The number of iPhones we can get are so small that we decided not to include the iPhone 4 in our range. It is therefore not possible to order an iPhone, Only until we are sure that Apple can deliver regularly and in reasonable quantities we will announce this on our website and in our stores"

). Personally I know of at least 10 people who want to buy one, including me (without a 2 year subscription from carrier Mobistar). Can't find it.

Some people are buying Andy's just because there are no iPhones.
  • Reply 18 of 118
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Also, for Android to pass iOS, you have to count iPad and iPod Touch users too. Otherwise you just have ?all the different incompatible Android platforms combined? passing the iPhone alone. Not passing iOS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

This is very true.

When Samsung reported 600,000 sales of the Galaxy Tab, how many were inventory sales?

When i first laid eyes on the Galaxy Tab in PC World/Currys, it was £529, then it was £499 and yesterday it was £448. I asked the sales guy how any they'd sold in that store, and it's a pretty big store, his answer non, hence the fire sale.

• Reply 19 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bretzelburg View Post

Personally I know of at least 10 people who want to buy one, including me (without a 2 year subscription from carrier Mobistar). Can't find it.

Some people are buying Andy's just because there are no iPhones.

This continues to be perplexing. Foxcon is cranking out an iPhone every one and a half seconds. How is it that Android phones are in abundance? Is it because there are multiple manufacturers?
  • Reply 20 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

This is very true.

When i first laid eyes on the Galaxy Tab in PC World/Currys, it was £529, then it was £499 and yesterday it was £448. I asked the sales guy how any they'd sold in that store, and it's a pretty big store, his answer non, hence the fire sale.

... and this is what I commented in an earlier story about the GT... 600,000 in the channel... maybe 150,000 sold... if they are lucky... and I also said that there will be deep discounts just before Christmas.

So I'm wondering... when they are talking about the Android OS overtaking iOS, are they talking about just smartphones or are they talking about all Android and iOS devices? [on edit... I noticed that Nagromme mentioned the same thing]