Windows Phone 7 developers fear platform flop

Comments

• Reply 101 of 291
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If it can't break 5,000 apps in 2 months, there will be a problem. It's too late to take a year before having a serious number of apps out there, which today would mean 50,000, at least.

By that time, the phone would be on a short slide to oblivion.

I disagree. How many apps does one person need or even want? It doesn't matter how many apps there are as long as they're the RIGHT apps. As a matter of fact, fewer apps would be better. In the Apple app store, it's too hard to find the decent and relevant apps. One doesn't need 50 apps the likes of iFart to be successful.
  • Reply 102 of 291
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's hard to know what they could do, however, if the platform doesn't prove popular with consumers. Lobby Congress to pass a law? Arm the sales people? Drop them by the metric ton from MS helicopters?

Buy a mobile carrier.
  • Reply 103 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Apple Customers are harassed for drinking the "Kool Aid". So far, none of us have gagged on it.

I don't know what Android users drink.

free beer....
  • Reply 104 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

So 2 developers are enough to generalize for the entire platform? LOL

I am not surprised WP7 is off to a slow start. I would think it is going to take MS sometime and a few OS updates to build any sort of critical mass. I also doubt it will ever displace Android or iPhone in market share.

However, it will exceed the sales of RIM platform hardware by the end of 2011 as RIM continues its slide of death. MS will continue to pour money into the platform until they get it to where they want.

So, are you saying conceding MS will never top Apple iOS or Android in the mobile marketplace yet they will (in time over several OS updates [years]) will surpass RIM? In that you are saying Microsoft is spending endless millions and resources just to move from #4 or 5 up to #3. If that is correct then that is beyond idiotic. Shouldn't the goal be to get to #1 or #2? Yeah #3 is cool - silver - but I don't anyone goes into a race hoping to walkout with silver. That makes MS look even more foolish if that is the goal and end result.
  • Reply 105 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fenevad View Post
    ?Reviews of new WP7 devices have also been dispassionate??
    Not to get picky or anything, but this word you are using, I do not think it means what you think it means?

A dispassionate review could be extremely positive or extremely negative (or neither)?

When it comes to making sales, "dispassionate" is the kiss of death. If the users' response to Windows Phone is "meh" then they're not going to sell very many. And that's negative, wouldn't you agree?
  • Reply 106 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Apple Customers are harassed for drinking the "Kool Aid". So far, none of us have gagged on it.

I don't know what Android users drink.

Horse piss. Also known as Amstel Light Beer.
  • Reply 107 of 291
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't like the snarky tone of your second sentence and the insults in the third, but I basically agree with your take on the OS itself.

I can't stand Microsoft, or any of their products, but I'm a bit mystified as to why it isn't catching on more. It's got brand recognition, and a really original interface that addresses the major shortcomings of the iOS interface (lack of integration and poor notifications).

I thought Windows Phone 7 was such a better proposition than Android, and so much more user friendly, that it would surely be a hit. Of course I also thought WebOS was clearly a better designed OS than Android, but that hasn't caught on either.

I see Android as a sort of "fill-in" OS or a default, or fall-back OS. It's what you use when there isn't anything else around. It's what you put on a junky free phone, etc. I was sure however, that we'd also see some real alternatives (like WebOS and Windows Phone 7), and I think it's bad news for everyone that neither seems to have taken off.

Well, there are some stories on the net regarding supply shortages, however that might be just an excuse. But I don't think it is too relevant - what were initial Android sales, anyway? Because that is the closest match to what MS is doing - single OS, hardware guidelines, multiple manufacturers.

I'm not expecting WP7 to be a blast right out of the start, but would be surprised if it doesn't end up successful. As an IT company, we already have some interest from our customers, Exchange and SharePoint integration (with decent mobile Office included) seem to be major motivations. No one so far even mentioned Xbox/games, but then again we are catering only for local businesses.
  • Reply 108 of 291
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I've "ruffled" some panties! Or did they ruffle me? Oh well!

Seriously, I don't understand this "rush to market" that MS and Boogle exhibit time and time again...remember back when Netbooks were the only bright spot for PC's and the debate was Market share vs. profitability?

Everyone with any nouse new profitability was preferable.

HP seems to have it somewhat correct in buying Palm for their WebOS and RIM also designing a completely new OS. But I agree with Jobs, they are really starting from way behind.

The Galaxy table using Boogle's Frodo which they themselves have said is not "Tablet ready" and everyone knows MS never releases anything that's ever been even close to "ready!"

Sheez!

You have pretty much described every new generation of Apple hardware, and some software (like latest iLife).

Not to mention that early generations of Android - like 1.5 - and Android phones from that time were any better.

As long as platform has decent core, initial "completeness" is not imperative. It will grow in features and bugs will be ironed. As the sales grow (or IF the sales grow) manufacturers will come out with better hardware.
  • Reply 109 of 291
    Wait, Microsoft Has a mobile platform?
  • Reply 110 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

Not not, knot.

Who isn't there?

• Reply 111 of 291
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft is reportedly also withholding any payments to its app developers through February 2011.

Microsoft is really slipping. The MS of old would be sending out checks that represent large sales - warranted or not - just to generate buz and get the market flowing.

Ouch. Looks like Win Phone 7 will be stillborn if they keep pulling boneheaded stuff like this
  • Reply 112 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

"In the UK, an Orange launch event opened to a line of just two people."

Wow! I bet one was DaHarder....

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. Thanks!
  • Reply 113 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I am not sure I see your point.

Android took 6 months to sell its first million units, and I am willing to bet that articles were written, or could have been written, stating that the iPhone was outselling Android 10-20 or 30 to 1 a month after Android was released, and look where things stand now.

This is not to say that WP7 will be a success, but there are no real sales numbers available (one estimate from an anonymous source from an unnamed market research firm does not really count), which is MS's fault, but no one really knows what is happening.

2 developers griping does not spell doom for WP7, any more than a couple of iOS developers leaving because of problems with the iOS approval process.

I guarantee if the sales numbers were good, everybody would know them. MS wouldn't keep it quite. The fact that they gagging the media and developers can only mean the numbers are bad!
  • Reply 114 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Wouldn't you be angry if you camped out three days prior to the release of a product only to realize had you not, you'd still be the first in line?

Second out loud post of the night! Thank you!
  • Reply 115 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You apparently don't know that Apple released those numbers for the iPad. 3.3 million the first quarter, and 4.19 million the second quarter. They release desktop sales as well, though i Don't remember the numbers, something like 3.9 million the last quarter, I think. They also release laptop numbers, though not always breaking it down. ATv sales haven't been at the level Apple considers significant, so they've been calling it a hobby. Now, with the new one selling well, we'll see if they break it out.

As you know very well, Apple has always released iPod sales numbers, and iPhone sales numbers. MS releases numbers of sales for their other products, except notably for the Zune and so far for WP7, though they used to release license numbers for Win Mobile.

Being snarky doesn't make your argument any better, not does it make you look any smarter.

Apple has not released a break down of computer sales (laptop/desktop) since 2005. They held back iPad sales for more than a quarter, there were plenty of articles that speculated slowing sales etc until Apple did. They, like Microsoft wanted to release a decent number. Why did Apple wait?

You always here good numbers from Apple, as in lots of info about iPhones, or total computer sales, but nothing negative.
  • Reply 116 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

sorry but android is a 'real' os not a a filler

Except for the parts of Sun's IP they stole. That's neither filler nor real.
  • Reply 117 of 291
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's what MS does when what it deems to be an important technology does well:

Quote:

Microsoft announced today that Kinect, its new 3D-camera-based Xbox 360 controller, has sold 2.5 million units worldwide in its first 25 days of retail availability.

It's simply not true that MS is some kind of shrinking violet when it comes to trumpeting sales numbers. If Windows Phone 7 were selling well we'd be hearing about it.
  • Reply 118 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple fans should actually want WP7 to succeed as it caps how quickly Android can grow.

I don't care, and I sincerely doubt, Apple cares about capping anyones growth.

Steve has repeatedly said this, and all their actions clearly demonstrate that Apple believes this: If you build the best products in the world, people will seek them out and things like profit and market share will take care of themselves.

I think this is refreshing and directly applicable to Apple's success. They aren't worried about their competitors, they are worried about their customers.

Many companies and posters in forums like this could do well to understand the difference.

Sure they take pot shots at competitors from time to time. Who says work has to always be boring But to infer from the occasional pot shot that Jobs obsesses about Android "eating their lunch" is just insane. If it helps you sleep at night, run with it - but there are far more interesting things to fantasize about
  • Reply 119 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

I bet that BlackBerry afficionados in the enterprise market have an aversion to the iPhone, and Android to a lesser extent because of all the features that those platforms provide.

Not in my organization. I was pretty intimately involved with our recent mail migration and at least 60% of the current BB users were pretty PO'd they couldn't get support for the iPhone yet. It's coming the first quarter of this year - I expect a mass exodus (including me!) as soon as that happens. Sure, there will be some holdouts, but they will be the vast minority.

And the iPad - oy! Thanks to the iPad we are going to have an Enterprise Apple hardware contract for the first time. I never thought I would live to see that!

The halo effect - it's what's for breakfast.
  • Reply 120 of 291
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Apple has not released a break down of computer sales (laptop/desktop) since 2005. They held back iPad sales for more than a quarter, there were plenty of articles that speculated slowing sales etc until Apple did. They, like Microsoft wanted to release a decent number. Why did Apple wait?

You always here good numbers from Apple, as in lots of info about iPhones, or total computer sales, but nothing negative.

Pssstt...... you sound desperate. You're barely making sense.