Windows Phone...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone heard of the really cool app called Flipbook? How can windows put a phone out ripping someone else's great idea and pass it off as their own?

Shameful...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Wow...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Windows Phone 7s user interface is more like the Zune devices. It's not bad. Give them points for doing something different rather than copying the iPhone like Android tries to.

As for this Flipbook application, I can't find anything about it, but whatever it is it's not made by Microsoft, so why are you blaming them?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Windows Phone 7s user interface is more like the Zune devices. It's not bad. Give them points for doing something different rather than copying the iPhone like Android tries to.

As for this Flipbook application, I can't find anything about it, but whatever it is it's not made by Microsoft, so why are you blaming them?

Its a iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App. look it up on the itunes app store.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    OK. I've looked it up. It's a drawing and animating app that doesn't look like anything in Windows Phone. So just what do you think Microsoft stole from this?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I also am not making the connection between an app for iPhone and supposed comparisons to WP7.

OT, but it behooves Microsoft to focus on the Next Big Thing than perpetually playing catchup to Apple and Google.

If this were a game of chess, Apple would be calling the shots, and Microsoft would be defensively reacting to Apple's moves. You don't need to be a chess wizard to know who wins the game. Especially when White has a four year head-start on Black. By the time MS has a competent phone ecosystem, Apple will have moved from iPads to something else. If I were MS, I'd focus on the 'something else.' STAT. Otherwise, it's Zune all over again, feeding off whatever market scraps are left behind.

How did Zune work out, again?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

I also am not making the connection between an app for iPhone and supposed comparisons to WP7.

OT, but it behooves Microsoft to focus on the Next Big Thing than perpetually playing catchup to Apple and Google.

If this were a game of chess, Apple would be calling the shots, and Microsoft would be defensively reacting to Apple's moves. You don't need to be a chess wizard to know who wins the game. Especially when White has a four year head-start on Black. By the time MS has a competent phone ecosystem, Apple will have moved from iPads to something else. If I were MS, I'd focus on the 'something else.' STAT. Otherwise, it's Zune all over again, feeding off whatever market scraps are left behind.

How did Zune work out, again?

The Windows phone uses little tiles for each opening menu option, just as Flip Book app. I am unclear as to what happens when you tap to open a tile, but from the commercial it seems just like Flipbook's cool animation bringing you to the app you asked for like Facebook or Twitter.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

The Windows phone uses little tiles for each opening menu option, just as Flip Board app. I am unclear as to what happens when you tap to open a tile, but from the commercial it seems just like Flipbook's cool animation bringing you to the app you asked for like Facebook or Twitter.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...s/default.aspx this is the windows phone 7 animation on their site.

This is flipboard app for the iPad: http://blog.thoughtpick.com/2010/08/...imagazine.html

Now you can't tell me that does not look very similar.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...s/default.aspx this is the windows phone 7 animation on their site.

This is flipboard app for the iPad: http://blog.thoughtpick.com/2010/08/...imagazine.html

If anyone looked at the sites they should know by now that Microsoft in nothing but a pirate and a thief of other ideas
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I think it's high time Microsoft stole some great ideas and integrated them. I think their future relevancy is at stake. That said, you'd think with their R&D budgets they'd be a lot more pioneering.

The only thing MS makes that I buy is their mice, which are actually made by Logitech. I wouldn't touch their consumer products with a 20 ft. pole.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

If anyone looked at the sites they should know by now that Microsoft in nothing but a pirate and a thief of other ideas

First of all, you said Flipbook, not Flipboard, so we couldn't even look up the right program. If you'd actually posted those links at the start it would have saved us all some time. Believe it or not, searching for the wrong name leads to the wrong program.

Second, it's not at all obvious that one of those is ripping off the other. Appearance-wise, there's only so many ways to make a UI with thumbnails work on a touchscreen (and they still look different). Integrating various social media together like that is a good idea that probably more than one team of developers could come up with. In fact...

...This Flipboard app first appeared on the App Store only a month before Microsoft began distributing the Windows Phone 7 beta to developers. They didn't steal anything from it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

First of all, you said Flipbook, not Flipboard, so we couldn't even look up the right program. If you'd actually posted those links at the start it would have saved us all some time. Believe it or not, searching for the wrong name leads to the wrong program.

Second, it's not at all obvious that one of those is ripping off the other. Appearance-wise, there's only so many ways to make a UI with thumbnails work on a touchscreen (and they still look different). Integrating various social media together like that is a good idea that probably more than one team of developers could come up with. In fact...

...This Flipboard app first appeared on the App Store only a month before Microsoft began distributing the Windows Phone 7 beta to developers. They didn't steal anything from it.

You are very incorrect about the timing however. Flip Board was created on July 21, 2010 and Windodoze Phone was invented on September 16, 2010. It is a clear time difference between the two.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Applications and operating systems aren't "invented". They're developed over a period of months or years, depending on their complexity. You should try to learn something about the way software is written.

Why don't you write to Flipboard's creators to ask them why they aren't suing Microsoft?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Applications and operating systems aren't "invented". They're developed over a period of months or years, depending on their complexity. You should try to learn something about the way software is written.

Why don't you write to Flipboard's creators to ask them why they aren't suing Microsoft?

It takes a lot of money to make a law suit and compared to Flipboard, Microsoft has millions/billions.

Gee.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Microsoft. I think you need to find one of those, instead. There's nothing here.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Microsoft. I think you need to find one of those, instead. There's nothing here.

I just hate company employees ripping off of other peoples great ideas then passing them off as their own.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Wow.

Flipboard looks to be a social networking integration app.

WP7 is a smartphone OS.

Those two have very little in common. and of all things, you're complaining about the animation being similar? First of all, I'm sure Flipboard or WP7 for that matter aren't the only things that have utilized a transition animation resembling a page being turned. Secondly, the animations aren't even that similar. WP7's animation flips away all the icons except for the one you pressed. Flipboard just resembles turning a page in a book or a magazine with the spine in the center of the display.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Wow.

Flipboard looks to be a social networking integration app.

WP7 is a smartphone OS.

Those two have very little in common. and of all things, you're complaining about the animation being similar? First of all, I'm sure Flipboard or WP7 for that matter aren't the only things that have utilized a transition animation resembling a page being turned. Secondly, the animations aren't even that similar. WP7's animation flips away all the icons except for the one you pressed. Flipboard just resembles turning a page in a book or a magazine with the spine in the center of the display.

Your missing the use of tiles by W7, when FB has already made use of this.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Your missing the use of tiles by W7, when FB has already made use of this.

Mind elaborating? besides both being called tiles, I don't see them being the same thing.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Mind elaborating? besides both being called tiles, I don't see them being the same thing.

Flipboard utilizes a tile display system were your access menu is tiles that flip out and can move around were you see fit for them to be. WD7 does the same thing.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Come on! The WINDOWS user interface was a rip-off of Apple's OS from day one! Back in '85. And that m.o. and mindset has been par for the course ever since. For a quarter century! It is deeply ingrained in the very fabric of M$.