Upgrading from OSX Panther to Leopard, one question before I do though please

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys, anyone who has seen my previous threads will know I was asking about what to do about my old iMac G5.

After some very helpful responses I decided to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb - done with no problems thanks to the brilliant help from here and Crucial memory scanner, many thanks to all and BOY is a Mac beautifully put together! Even a technophobe like me had the new memory installed in a few minutes and it just worked, beautifully!

Anyway I've managed to find a sealed retail version of Leopard on eBay and it came today, fully sealed UK version. Got it all ready to go.

It was suggested on here that I did a full clean install rather than an upgrade because of some issues I'd had with Panther. Since I have no old files I want to save and indeed old passwords and stuff I'd feel better if they were gone, I want to pick that option.

The installer has given me three options:-

1. Upgrade Mac OSX

2. Archive and install Mac OSX

or

3. Erase and install.

I assume I want no. 3 which says it will "erase destination volume" (which seems to be my Mac Hard Disc, the only option it gave me, which seems logical.)

So I've got it ready and was about to pick no. 3 but I just want to check two things:-

1. Is this the option I want? I want to completely delete all my old files, passwords etc - there's nothing on there I want anymore so I want a new, "clean" OSX Leopard like it's a new machine. Is that right? Will it clear my hard drive?

and

2. It gives me two options if I choose this:-

a. Format disc as Mac OS extended (journaled)

OR

b. Format disc as Mac OS extended (journaled, case-sensitive).

I don't understand what journaled or case-sensitive are in this context. Journaled seems to be the default option so I was going to go for that but I'm borrowing my dads' PC just to check with your guys before I do it...

THANKS for all your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    1. Yes, erase and install.

2. up to you ... do you want filenames to be case-sensitive or not???

(Journaled means nothing to you ... obviously there's not a "non-journaled" option. The case-sensitive option refers to file-names ... capitalization of letters... the filename "RSteve" would be different than "rsteve" if you choose case-sensitive. They would be the same filename if you do NOT choose case-sensitive.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

1. Yes, erase and install.

2. up to you ... do you want filenames to be case-sensitive or not???

(Journaled means nothing to you ... obviously there's not a "non-journaled" option. The case-sensitive option refers to file-names ... capitalization of letters... the filename "RSteve" would be different than "rsteve" if you choose case-sensitive. They would be the same filename if you do NOT choose case-sensitive.)

Oh thank you King you've come through for me again! Sorry to be so thick, I didn't think of it that way - I just didn't associate it with filenames!

Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSteve View Post

So I've got it ready and was about to pick no. 3 but I just want to check two things:-

1. Is this the option I want? I want to completely delete all my old files, passwords etc - there's nothing on there I want anymore so I want a new, "clean" OSX Leopard like it's a new machine. Is that right? Will it clear my hard drive?

Yes. It will create a completely new volume with Leopard and iLife on it and erase all old data on your HD.

If the data on your old Panther volume is sensitive, and you want to make really sure it's been erased, then, before you install Leopard, start up from the Leopard disk (hold C until the blue screen), open Disk Utilities from that DVD, select your HD (top left), select 'Erase' and your desired erase options, and hit Enter.

The procedure may take some time...

Quote:

and

2. It gives me two options if I choose this:-

a. Format disc as Mac OS extended (journaled)

OR

b. Format disc as Mac OS extended (journaled, case-sensitive).

I don't understand what journaled or case-sensitive are in this context. Journaled seems to be the default option so I was going to go for that but I'm borrowing my dads' PC just to check with your guys before I do it...

THANKS for all your help.

Choose a. Format disc as Mac OS extended (journaled).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

It clears the files but they are still on the drive. If you follow the above post for using Disk Utility, you can zero the drive (just use 1-pass). This will cut out any bad sectors on your drive and overwrite all your old files and documents.

Quote:

Go with the default. Case-sensitive means that you can have File.jpg and file.jpg in the same folder but this causes problems with some programs. The default is case-insensitive and the most compatible.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Typically OSX installs are non-case sensitive from the factory. I'd pick that... It's less of a pain in the ass at times.

Erase and install's the one you want.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Hey thanks for the really helpful replies, I appreciate it!

I did choose non-case-sensitive in the end, but I'm afraid I didn't see your posts about deleting files until I already installed it, so I guess it's too late now? Unless there's some way of doing it now Leopard is installed? Or would I have to reinstall?

No biggie really, there wasn't anything super-sensitive on there, just a few old files I didn't want anymore - I just wanted it to be like a brand-new machine with the new install of OSX really.

I am so happy - my Mac now has 2Gb of RAM and Leopard (I found a sealed retail version on eBay) and it's running great - not back for an iMac G5 1.6Ghz - feels faster than most modern Windows machines!

THANKS for all your help, I really appreciate it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Many thanks to you both, I used erase and install and now have what feels like a brand-new Mac!

It's great! In the end I decided to get a 2Gb twin-pack of memory from Crucial, which was £70, and I found a sealed retail version of Leopard on eBay - £107 but the used versions were going for about £80 so I figured it was worth the extra to get it new and sealed.

I can't believe how well my "old" Mac is running now, it feels really fast and can use most of the latest browsers - not Chrome, that demands an Intel processor, but Safari and Firefox both let me have the latest version now so all the sites which weren't working before are working great!