Apple Global Data Center Director Olivier Sanche dies at 41

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Damn sad. Sorry to hear that someone died that young. I had a friend who also died at that age, a few years back.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Tragic for his family....but I do agree with Robin. It takes a lot of work to maintain a healthy weight.

We are eating like kids at a carnival....every day! Sugar, salt, fat, caffeine, etc., etc.

Uhh so you stop eating like that. How does it take a lot of work? You are the person that's putting the food in your mouth, not someone else. Buy an apple or make a veggie sandwich instead of a burger; drink water and green tea instead of milk and junk drinks. Most importantly get out of any situation brings emotional stress or learn how to manage stress because you become what you think. Having no time or money to live right are just excuses.

Very sad to hear about this young man.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Welcome to healthy corporate lifestyle. Having that said I have survived Mr Sanche in corporations (quite a few of them) by a few years so far. I guess change due to life balance and not giving into corporate BS politics and policies has some positive effect.

From New York area...

(an Euro in the USA)
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Well, being a data center manager for a major corporation is a very high stress job. Lots of late night and weekend work, always on call, and rarely enough credit for work done.

Didn't know Olivier, but who is the guy on the right in the Datacenter Dynamics panel photo... I do vaguely remember him.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Not true. Your fatalistic view flies in the face of conventional medical wisdom. It is well established that being obese is among the major factors in heart attack. You have full control over this. It may not be easy, but it is doable. Other controllable major causes are smoking and lack of exercise. I don't know if Olivier smoked or got exercise, but his appearance shows obesity.

It is really sad that a man who promoted good stewardship of the earth should die so young for any reason. That it may have been an unnecessarily early death is dismaying.

Maybe, but as a doctor once said to me, "sometimes the first sign of heart disease is death."
  • Reply 26 of 57
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

How the hell do you die at age 41?

of a heart attack.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    A shame he sounded like a real talent. He was only at Apple for a short time. Hopefully in the little over a year that he was there, he was able to put the gears in motion to make Apple's data centers extremely energy efficient. My thoughts go out to his children. It is always tough to loose someone in your immediate family especially at such a young age.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Message to AppleInsider.com:

I have no issue with you reporting this story, but please turn off ability of having people comment on such tragic story. The discussion on this story has been mostly pathetic. People, if you don't have any condolence messages for this gentleman you don't have to post anything here - Just read and move along. Someone lost a father, husband, brother or a son - Please don't discuss the cause of death and make crude remarks.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Worked to death at 41. Sad.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Everyone should learn CPR. It can literally save a life. Take a course at your local Red Cross if it's not offered by your employer.

Condolensces to his family and friends.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

RIP Olivier Sanche... Sadly, Apple can name the Data Center after him...

I was thinking the same thing. Great suggestion. The Sanche Data Center.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Great suggestion. The Sanche Data Center.

Agreed. Not to mention if Apple could see about naming the street to the facility after him... Oliver Way maybe, or something to that effect? Need some sort of Memorial.

Saw a photo of him with his daughter. Nice looking family, I wish them the best and Rest in Peace Oliver Sanchez, Rest in Peace!
  • Reply 33 of 57
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Sad news indeed. Too young to leave but sucessful at 41

RIP
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Very Sad. Especially at holiday time. Hopefully he will be remembered (for sure in the industry) by all.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Great Prof., blame the victim. I know it's just your psychological defense so you can go on believing that "it happened to him, but it can't happen to me".

Guess what...you ARE going to die of something...and for the most part, you have little, if no, control in the matter.

My condolences to Mr. Sanche's family for their loss.

So very sad. BUT, Monsieur Sanche was obese by contemporary standards. This is not to any way "blame the victim" and his death could be attributed to many other factors certainly.

However, the American problem of poor eating, overeating, gluttony etc. is well known and not apocryphal. It kills 10s of thousands annually.

May his death not go unnoticed.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    RIP Mr. Sanche. Thank you for everything you have contributed to this world.

I shall leave my judgments at the door, and hold only myself to them.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    I think the best tribute Apple could pay him is to use that data center in some insanely great way that leaves our jaws on the floor.

And fix MobileMe.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Same kind of heart attack that killed Tom Wilkinson's character in "Michael Clayton."
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you took my comment the wrong way. I wasn't blaming anyone, just stating the facts.

I've had enough folks die on me to know that no one is immortal also.

Well, except for me because I'm just a machine located in a deep underground cavern.

Do you have Spock's brain?
  • Reply 40 of 57
    n.kn.k Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Message to AppleInsider.com:

I have no issue with you reporting this story, but please turn off ability of having people comment on such tragic story. The discussion on this story has been mostly pathetic. People, if you don't have any condolence messages for this gentleman you don't have to post anything here - Just read and move along. Someone lost a father, husband, brother or a son - Please don't discuss the cause of death and make crude remarks.

no one is being rude its normal to want to discuss why something like this happened. this is an open forum not an obituary website. most of the time the families in these matters say "we are of course sad at our loss but if his passing away acts as a warning to others then i'm sure he would be happy"