Google nearly ready to challenge Apple, Amazon with e-bookstore

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post


    battery life, battery life, battery life



    That's all you've got... pffftt
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Great, now I can look forward to targeted ads based on my book choices.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post


    battery life, battery life, battery life



    Kindle, the hardware, will definitely not remain dominant, so an entirely irrelevant argument. Whether Kindle, the software/eBook platform, remains dominant in any sense in the long-run is somewhat questionable.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Sort of like the home runs that Apple hits on a consistent basis...



    Kindle always more dominant? Please tell us more.



    If you read my post I am referring to the kindle store. You seem to somewhat agree with me in your last post.



    I agree whether the kindle hardware will remain dominant is another matter completely. No one can predict with certainty what the dominant reading device will be. At the moment though the kindle is the best device out there if all you want to do is read ebooks.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    If you read my post I am referring to the kindle store. You seem to somewhat agree with me in your last post.



    I agree whether the kindle hardware will remain dominant is another matter completely. No one can predict with certainty what the dominant reading device will be. At the moment though the kindle is the best device out there if all you want to do is read ebooks.



    I did read your post... there is no indication you meant store, and, just to let you know, there is no "Kindle" store. There is Amazon eBook store with e-books that can be read on a Kindle device... just for clarification.



    I don't see where I agreed with you because, personally, I think the whole leadership thing is in question right now... store, device, software... everything.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    via Daring Fireball:







    Anyone who deals with Google any more than they absolutely can't avoid is a fool. Although there are many things I don't agree with Richard Stallman on, he's right that "the cloud" is a trap. Google's services, all of them, are a trap. Google's cloud is really a fog hiding a rocky lee shore, and Google's services are like the wreckers who put out false lights to lure ships onto those rocks so they can plunder them.



    Whilst your article is very interesting it is not about the free with ads model. I.e a legitimate business that is free in monetary cost to the end user. Of course iTunes was going to win in the music model because there is no legal 'free' alternative. It is even debatable whether iTunes has won. I would happily wager that more significantly more content is downloaded illegally than through iTunes. I expect it is more than all legal digital distribution put together.



    On the topic of google, people really need to grow up. I am sure you are all happy to use google search. If not then you use a competitor which also collects personal data, so what have you gained? Apart from the fact you have a sense in pride in not using google, which I suspect is based on a personal prejudice since they compete with your beloved apple.



    Please explain how google services are a trap.... If it is a personal data thing then you are incredibly naive if you believe none of your personal data is collected if you do not use google. May I remind you that all of the websites you visit are logged by your ISP and the government has access to these logs. If you use the internet, like all connected technology, it is traceable.



    Richard Stallman is a crack pot. Yes he is the founder of the open source movement which I am a huge supporter and participator in, but he refuses to use the internet because of personal liberties reasons. Maybe you should follow suit if google is so evil and preservation of personal data is so important. Disconnect all your apple devices and use them off line only, something which is not even possible.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Kindle, the hardware, will definitely not remain dominant, so an entirely irrelevant argument. Whether Kindle, the software/eBook platform, remains dominant in any sense in the long-run is somewhat questionable.



    Back up that statement- are you gazing into a crystal ball?

    Kindles are preferred by real readers due to the replication of real paper (read real books) , hence the term e-reader. An iPad is a piss poor e-reader due to its mega wattage screen eye strainer low rez/ poor battery life comparison. As long as the Kindle remains as is, they will continue to dominate. The best thing Jeff Bezos did not do was add color or video to the Kindle. Do you really need to see a video while you read Mark Twain?
  • Reply 48 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    I did read your post... there is no indication you meant store, and, just to let you know, there is no "Kindle" store. There is Amazon eBook store with e-books that can be read on a Kindle device... just for clarification.



    I don't see where I agreed with you because, personally, I think the whole leadership thing is in question right now... store, device, software... everything.



    You did not read my post, I suggest you read again:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    This article is about ebook stores, in that arena the kindle store is and always will be more dominant than the iBooks store.



    The thing with google is that they can afford to fail on things. The whole company is like a collection of start up companies. Sooner or later they are going to hit a home run.



    Note "in that arena the KINDLE STORE is...."



    The kindle store is the official name of the amazon ebook store. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?ie=UTF8&n...l_3xxraan1tv_e for a link to the UK amazon KINDLE STORE. Note the big letters at the top of the screen!



    As for your point about us agreeing, my mistake, I confused you with anonymouse
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    Back up that statement- are you gazing into a crystal ball?

    Kindles are preferred by real readers due to the replication of real paper (read real books) , hence the term e-reader. An iPad is a piss poor e-reader due to its mega wattage screen eye strainer low rez/ poor battery life comparison. As long as the Kindle remains as is, they will continue to dominate. The best thing Jeff Bezos did not do was add color or video to the Kindle. Do you really need to see a video while you read Mark Twain?



    Kindle, the on-trick-pony hardware platform just isn't going to have legs in a tablet computing era. They may do ok as a book platform, TBD.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    Whilst your article is very interesting it is not about the free with ads model. I.e a legitimate business that is free in monetary cost to the end user. Of course iTunes was going to win in the music model because there is no legal 'free' alternative. It is even debatable whether iTunes has won. I would happily wager that more significantly more content is downloaded illegally than through iTunes. I expect it is more than all legal digital distribution put together.



    On the topic of google, people really need to grow up. I am sure you are all happy to use google search. If not then you use a competitor which also collects personal data, so what have you gained? Apart from the fact you have a sense in pride in not using google, which I suspect is based on a personal prejudice since they compete with your beloved apple.



    Please explain how google services are a trap.... If it is a personal data thing then you are incredibly naive if you believe none of your personal data is collected if you do not use google. May I remind you that all of the websites you visit are logged by your ISP and the government has access to these logs. If you use the internet, like all connected technology, it is traceable.



    Richard Stallman is a crack pot. Yes he is the founder of the open source movement which I am a huge supporter and participator in, but he refuses to use the internet because of personal liberties reasons. Maybe you should follow suit if google is so evil and preservation of personal data is so important. Disconnect all your apple devices and use them off line only, something which is not even possible.



    Maybe you should get a Google implant. See how great the discussion is when it gets stupid.



    Bottom line, Google is the most serious threat to personal privacy in the world today, both in and of themselves, and as a one-stop shopping location for governements who wish to spy on their citizens. Privacy and Freedom go hand in hand, depend on each other for their very existence. Allowing Google to continue unchecked is a fundamental threat to a free and open society.



    You only don't recognize the danger because you don't understand the issues and problems. The idea that a private company can't be a threat to democracy is rooted in ignorance.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Maybe you should get a Google implant. See how great the discussion is when it gets stupid.



    Bottom line, Google is the most serious threat to personal privacy in the world today, both in and of themselves, and as a one-stop shopping location for governements who wish to spy on their citizens. Privacy and Freedom go hand in hand, depend on each other for their very existence. Allowing Google to continue unchecked is a fundamental threat to a free and open society.



    You only don't recognize the danger because you don't understand the issues and problems. The idea that a private company can't be a threat to democracy is rooted in ignorance.



    I would argue Facebook is just as much a 'threat'. 500 million+ users with more than 90% returning and using the service everyday. The world is changing. If you don't want to give up some personal privacy then don't use technology....



    If google didn't exist governments would still be able to spy on their citizens. Grow up. Google is not responsible for the future of your personal privacy, it is highly interlinked with technology in general.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    another copycat move from Google.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    I would argue Facebook is just as much a 'threat'. 500 million+ users with more than 90% returning and using the service everyday. The world is changing. If you don't want to give up some personal privacy then don't use technology....



    If google didn't exist governments would still be able to spy on their citizens. Grow up. Google is not responsible for the future of your personal privacy, it is highly interlinked with technology in general.



    Facebook is problematic and does represent a threat to privacy. However, it's relatively easy to opt out of Facebook. It's extremely difficult to avoid being tracked by Google, and Google collects data even when people may not be aware that it is collecting it (Google Analytics, for example). So, no, Facebook is not, "just as much a 'threat'."



    Your argument of, "If you don't want to give up some personal privacy then don't use technology...." is antithetical to the idea of a free society. There is nothing inherent in the nature of technology that requires one to give up privacy. Simply because privacy can be easily violated with technology, doesn't make it right, or mean that violations must be allowed. Although, what you really mean, I know, is, "Shut up and stop pointing out that Google is a threat to a free society."
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    You're an editor? Have you actually read your own post?



    I weep for the future of the English language. Nice knowin' you!



    Not really a editor..(because books that have been published are already edited..)more like a repair man going in and editing the damn software errors (OCR is cool but far from perfect). I repair so much I can actually care less of my own errors on forums because in all honesty no one cares...
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    You did not read my post, I suggest you read again:



    Note "in that arena the KINDLE STORE is...."



    The kindle store is the official name of the amazon ebook store. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?ie=UTF8&n...l_3xxraan1tv_e for a link to the UK amazon KINDLE STORE. Note the big letters at the top of the screen!



    As for your point about us agreeing, my mistake, I confused you with anonymouse





    I'm getting old... what can I say...
  • Reply 56 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Facebook is problematic and does represent a threat to privacy. However, it's relatively easy to opt out of Facebook. It's extremely difficult to avoid being tracked by Google, and Google collects data even when people may not be aware that it is collecting it (Google Analytics, for example). So, no, Facebook is not, "just as much a 'threat'."



    Your argument of, "If you don't want to give up some personal privacy then don't use technology...." is antithetical to the idea of a free society. There is nothing inherent in the nature of technology that requires one to give up privacy. Simply because privacy can be easily violated with technology, doesn't make it right, or mean that violations must be allowed. Although, what you really mean, I know, is, "Shut up and stop pointing out that Google is a threat to a free society."



    So because google knows what websites a lot of people visit they are a threat to a free society? Sure....



    You clearly have not heard of facebook connect and how it is being added to more and more websites at a phenomenal rate.



    Again your ISP and the government especially know an awful lot more personal information that these companies ever will.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    That's all you've got... pffftt



    You can load it up with a bunch of books, sit it on the shelf for weeks unused and it will still power up so yes battery life is great. It is also easier on the eyes and can be read in sunlight. It's priced low enough, under $100 would be even better, that people will buy it even if they have an ipad or other tablet/notebook computer.



    I don't think technology has yet reaced the point where one device will do it all. In the mean time I am planning on having both.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post


    So because google knows what websites a lot of people visit they are a threat to a free society? Sure....



    You clearly have not heard of facebook connect and how it is being added to more and more websites at a phenomenal rate.



    Again your ISP and the government especially know an awful lot more personal information that these companies ever will.



    1. They collect a lot more data than that, and you're being disingenuous to suggest you don't know that.



    2. And if you don't use Facebook, they track you how?



    3. You're totally naive if you believe that, or a Google shill if you don't.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    Kindles are preferred by real readers



    ROTFLMAO!!!!!



    Did you seriously just stoop so low as to use the term "real readers"?



    So, people who don't prefer the Kindle are obviously, what? Fake readers? Imitation readers? Imaginary readers?



    This takes me back to the days when the Wii was kicking the living bejesus out of PS3 and Xbox combined in game console sales, but it was all good because "real gamers" didn't use a Wii. Yeah, and Nintendo was laughing all the way to the bank on those non-real gamer's purchases.



    I am pretty sure that I am real, and I happen to read eBooks on my iPad. Then again, maybe we should all read The Republic by Plato and realize that only those who read with a Kindle have been freed from the cave to see the reality of reading while we who use anything else are merely watching the shadows.



    Then again, I guess that wouldn't work on anything other than a Kindle since it wouldn't be real.



    Is that enough sarcasm to make my point?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    An iPad is a piss poor e-reader due to its mega wattage screen eye strainer low rez/ poor battery life comparison.



    I do believe this is called an opinion.



    I can read ebooks perfectly well on my iPad. The LCD screen doesn't give me any problems as it is now, and the ppi is likely to increase in the future.



    The battery does last longer on the Kindle than the iPad, but I am hard pressed to figure out just how many people read for ten hours away from any sort of electricity and how often? Then, if they are away from electricity for that long, is that really an environment you would want to take an electronic device like an eReader? Because, in those rare instances I am either enjoying nature or I bring a book (You remember those? They can last centuries without needing to be recharged. And if it is damaged I am out $8 not $150.)



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    As long as the Kindle remains as is, they will continue to dominate.



    That is just about the most unenlightened statement I have ever heard.



    If the Kindle remains as is, I can absolutely guarantee you that it will fail. The logic is simply, while the Kindle fails to innovate at all, other companies will advance their technology and eventually surpass what the Kindle can do.



    They will push the pixel densities of competing display technology up, the energy usage of those same technologies down. Not to mention that there are companies working on combining reflective and emittive display technology into a single product, thus when in a bright environment it is like a book or the eInk screens, but when the light dims it can emit light like an LCD.



    Then there are the advances being made in energy storage. Batteries are getting better and better all of the time at storing energy and the electronics necessary to run a tablet or eReader are becoming more and more energy efficient. Therefore, eventually, it is very conceivable that a fast refreshing, color display enabled reader will have a battery life at least as good as the current Kindle.



    In short, technology will continue to advance. It is the nature of the beast. As it does so, convergence will occur. As that convergence continues to happen and as the multi-function device continues to eat away at the few advantages that the single purpose device has, that single purpose device has to either continue to innovate or face obsolescence. It is just how things go, people will almost always choose to have a smaller number of devices that can do more, if the trade offs are not too great.



    eReaders are facing the same challenges that GPS units, low end consumer cameras, MP3 players, and cell phones are facing. All of these devices are slowly and surely being integrated into a single device.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    The best thing Jeff Bezos did not do was add color or video to the Kindle.



    This I whole heartedly agree with. He had little to no chance of competing with the tablets in a multi-function device market. By maximizing the few advantages that the Kindle has as a stand alone reader he can keep it relevant for a longer time period.



    Now he just needs to work to improve those advantages.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    Do you really need to see a video while you read Mark Twain?



    Nope. But if you want to listen to a song while reading Mark Twain or surf the internet looking up a reference from that text then you are going to need another device. The real question is just how much extra you are willing to pay for that eInk screen and week long battery life. Because, in the end, that is what a dedicated eReader like the Kindle is compared to a multifunction device that can read eBooks along with all of the other stuff it can do, just an extra.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    1. They collect a lot more data than that, and you're being disingenuous to suggest you don't know that.



    2. And if you don't use Facebook, they track you how?



    3. You're totally naive if you believe that, or a Google shill if you don't.



    1. Please explain how any of this 'additional' information is to quote you 'a threat to a free society'



    2. How many people in the coming years, ie. when the current teenage generation have grown up, won't be using facebook? I'm sure you will agree that number is going to be very low.



    3. The government knows everything it wants to know. A couple of years ago I had an interview for a role in a government agency. Part of the interview was a frank discussion on my internet history and locations I have frequented in the past 3 years. The agency had documents on all of it in front of me. This sort of surveillance will not happen with google unless it is because a government requests it. In that case the government can obtain the data in alternative way. The data google collects is nothing that has not been collected before (apart from search history).



    Either way, it is a bloody ebook store. You purchase a book on it and because it is from google you lose your freedom....... Come off it. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds.



    If anything google is a company that promotes freedom. More people have access to more of human knowledge than ever before thanks to google.
Sign In or Register to comment.