Users experience sound issues with Apple's 27-inch Cinema Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Yeppers ... a bleeding edge technology still in the process of working the kinks out that everyone is having trouble with! rolls eyes

Monitors are a bleeding edge technology?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ohto View Post

AI-guys, thanks for making this a topic!

@nkhm: this can't be a minority. i have two (out of two) 27" displays behaving this way and ther is a guy on the support forum with 16 affected displays.

the biggest issue: it becomes worse with time. while the 'fixes' lasted for a couple of days initially, i am unplugging my display at least twice a day now.

It is a minority of units - if every single one of these displays reported the same error, or even a majority, you'd have heard much more about this and sooner. I know of 91 of these displays, all perfect. Even by this anecdotal evidence (and the guy with 16 affected displays I find hard to believe, but hey if they've not been returned for a full and immediate refund then he needs his head examining) it's in the minority.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

@nkhm Just because you do not have it, doesn't mean a LOT of users do not have this issue. I can say the same thing about people like you, defending Apple like it's a family member. If you read the forum, you'd see one user in the UK has 16 of the monitors and ALL have the issue..

I'm not defending anybody - the second largest company in the world are quite big enough to take care of themselves. I'm reporting my experience with this issue as this is a forum, it's called freedom of speech.

I haven't claimed that because I haven't experienced this issue no one else is. Maybe you should have re-read my post? I've seen the guy with 16 monitors. It's a shame - and I'm sure that there's no way this could be an environmental factor specific to him which is why he has 16 with issues, and others have 30 with no issues? No need to attack me for sharing my experience just as Mr. 16 has shared his and you have accepted it.

Strange attitude indeed.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    rod76rod76 Posts: 21member
    I just got my 27 inch Cinema Display today and I can confirm the usb issue and that the display port audio fixes the problem. Now I have two audio devices not playing nice on my Mac. My Bose Companion 5 speakers cut out almost at will as well. I hope Apple comes up with a fix soon.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    I have had mine for five days and have the same trouble. I don't plan on bringing it to the store or ask for an exchange yet s I believe it to be fixable with a driver update. However, I suggest calling apple and logging the issue.

Logging the issue here and even on Apple Support forums does not get the same attention as logging it through Apple Support. The best way for Apple to notice the issue and tag it for a fix is if we as customers call in and log the issue

As I bought it for a display, I don't see this as a big issue.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I'm not defending anybody - the second largest company in the world are quite big enough to take care of themselves. I'm reporting my experience with this issue as this is a forum, it's called freedom of speech.

I haven't claimed that because I haven't experienced this issue no one else is. Maybe you should have re-read my post? I've seen the guy with 16 monitors. It's a shame - and I'm sure that there's no way this could be an environmental factor specific to him which is why he has 16 with issues, and others have 30 with no issues? No need to attack me for sharing my experience just as Mr. 16 has shared his and you have accepted it.

Strange attitude indeed.

Your main reason for posting was about people whining that their monitors are not working. I have the strange post? Interesting.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt all of the monitors that are the 27" LED do not have this issue. Maybe you should use them first hand for longer than a few minutes.(even if you have at all, since all of your statements are heresy. The other people with no issues may also not be using the sound, as I said in my first post. If you don't use the sound, you won't notice it.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Your main reason for posting was about people whining that their monitors are not working. I have the strange post? Interesting.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt all of the monitors that are the 27" LED do not have this issue. Maybe you should use them first hand for longer than a few minutes.(even if you have at all, since all of your statements are heresy. The other people with no issues may also not be using the sound, as I said in my first post. If you don't use the sound, you won't notice it.

Does anyone else sense Deja Vu? (antenna gate?). Maybe you're holding it wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niko03 View Post

I have a spring 2010 i7 15"MBP. A couple of weeks ago I got the 27" ACD. When I have the audio going through displayport, it doesn't go dead, using USB I have had it go dead.

Strangely enough the microphone only goes through USB and I have had it go dead trying to use it with FaceTime. Funny the iSight camera hasn't gone out. Pretty annoying. Shut down and reboot fixes it but not restart. Since I set preferences to use displayport for audio at least the speakers don't seem to go dead and I seldom use the mic.

I love the display, it would be hard to give it up. I also have little kids and they can't help but touch the screen, the glass panel makes it a breeze to clean.

I'm hoping it's a firmware issue related to the fact that now audio can go through either displayport or USB and the damn thing gets confused. Of course I'm also hoping apple fixes the issue.

Correction. I have the speakers running through Displayport. Last night I test called my iPhone using Facetime. My Mac then went to sleep. This morning I had no speaker output.

Unpluged the displayport & USB and then plugged them back in. Audio works again.

It kind of confirms, in my mind, that somehow the display is getting confused as to which source to use for audio. I suppose it could be hardware, but I'm leaning towards firmware. Or maybe I just want to believe that because I would think it would be easier to roll out a fix for everyone.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Really? Another hardware release with problems? I'm shocked!
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I hope when they fix this they also fix the lack of an anti-glare option (that's the bigger issue in my opinion)
  • Reply 31 of 35
    After only two days of use from new, my 27 inch display failed to produce any sound - another case! I am using an early 2009 aluminium MacBook and the problem arose after a night's sleep. Unplugging the display and the USB connection has solved the problem for now, but I live in fear that it is going to happen again. So thanks also for the writeup and hopefully some kind of Apple fix will be forthcoming. It seems that current MacBook Pros don't suffer from this problem, but it is a bit much to have to buy a new laptop to get an expensive display working reliably.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Yep, just had this occur today with a late 2008 unibody Macbook after waking from sleep.

Apple had this display "languishing" in their labs for so long and did not notice this? What exactly do their QA people do then, I wonder?

Still within the 14 day return window... an official response on this would be nice.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    After installing both the software update and firmware update, I have tried a mid 2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz, 6 GB RAM and 10.6.5 OS, which will NOT even allow sound output to be set to the SOUND-OUTPUT -Display Audio - USB type or the LED Cinema Display - DisplayPort (but LINE OUT-Audio line out port works fine to external speakers),

Interestingly, I also tried a 2010 MBP which WILL allow sound through the mini-display port to the monitor speakers.

Shutdowns and unplugs made no difference on the MAC PRO, so this is a REAL problem, but the INPUT - Display Audio - USB Input does run my iCHAT microphone - so it is an isolated problem (for now).
  • Reply 34 of 35

(*solved for me*)

i regularly plug and unplug my 27" display to a 17" macbookpro, the sort that doesn't get audio thru the display port.

programs that depend on coreAudio (safari, quicktime and most any apple or third-party software) have no trouble hot-switching (i.e. start playing from the display the moment it is connected)

VLC (videolan.org) consistently fails to detect the new source, and since version 2. on osx10.7.4, has been causing the system preferences to get stuck trying to open. Again, this could be consistently reproduced by plugging in or unplugging the display usb while vlc is running.

Tried lots of things, nothing worked, it even got worse, in that the display audio wasn't recognized even after a restart.

Then I pulled the display power cord, plugged it right back in and everything went back to smooth apple-y goodness.

My educated guess is that the display firmware (the hard-wired software bit) simply needed a restart.

lesson learned: even space shuttles need wheels

short version: unplug the display from its power source

• Reply 35 of 35

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Also solved.

I'm using a 2008 model Mac Pro. I tried restarting and removing the computer power cord then restarting, restarting then removing the USB cables for 15 seconds, plus a bunch of other things. The only one that has actually worked is pulling out the power cable of the monitor itself while everything is running. Plugging it back in has then caused Display Audio to reappear in the list of inputs and outputs. 

Might help someone maybe!