Apple pushes Ping with exclusive Michael Jackson song

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In a new promotional effort to generate interest for its iTunes Ping music social networking service, Apple has landed an exclusive track from the late pop star Michael Jackson.

The song, from the forthcoming album "Michael," is called "Much Too Soon." The world premiere of the track is available exclusively on Ping, a new social networking service from Apple that allows users to connect with artists and share their iTunes purchasing activities.

The newly released song from the "King of Pop" can be streamed within iTunes by accessing Ping, and navigating to the official Michael Jackson account. It's also a new way for Apple to promote Ping, which garnered over a million users in its first 48 hours, though Apple has not provided an update on the number of accounts since.

The new song from the late artist was written at the time Jackson was working on "Thriller," released in 1982, which went on to become the best-selling album of all time.

"Michael always liked the song but never found the right home for it; here it finds its place as the bittersweet closing to the stellar collection," the official Ping account for Jackson reads. "This song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings."

The album "Michael" features new songs from the late artist. The complete collection of 10 tracks, featuring artists 50 Cent, Akon and Lenny Kravitz, will be released on Dec. 14.

Apple's exclusive Michael Jackson track marks the second major content deal the company has secured in less than a month. In November, Apple began selling the entire catalog of The Beatles through iTunes, the only digital service with the rights to the band's music. Sales of Beatles albums topped 450,000 in the first week.

Ping was launched with the new iTunes 10 in September. The product is based on discovery, allowing users to see what their friends are listening to and what concerts they're going to.

In November, Apple and Twitter announced a strategic alliance that allows users to share music discoveries with their friends through Twitter. Users can advertise their Ping activity, with song previews and links to purchase and download music from the iTunes Store, on their Twitter account.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I love the idea of Ping. I signed up the day it was announced, used it for a couple of days. But then my usage went from regular to non-existant. Why? Rarely, did I ever have itunes available to access the content.

If apple wants Ping to become big, they have to PORT IT TO THE INTERNET.

Give me a useable online version. I'll check it just as often as I check facebook!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    That Michael Jackson song they put up sucked hard core and I actually like Michael Jackson. I just don't like that sappy crappy heal the world type songs he loved to make. *sticks finger down throat to try and throw up*
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Ping is silly jump-on-the-social-website-bandwagon crap.

Shall I Twitter what I'm listening to? (as if anyone cares) Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails. The Nutcracker Suite by Les Brown.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Shall I Twitter what I'm listening to? (as if anyone cares) Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails. The Nutcracker Suite by Les Brown.

Who cares?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    You're right. I hate seeing Apple do this type of me too stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Who cares?

Yes, that's kinda the point. Hmmmph.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Oh wow John McClain helped with the song? He can fight evil and Produce a song... Now that's talent :P
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That Michael Jackson song they put up sucked hard core and I actually like Michael Jackson. I just don't like that sappy crappy heal the world type songs he loved to make. *sticks finger down throat to try and throw up*

His family has gone on record as saying that most of the songs on the new album "aren't Michael" singing.

He will probably be more popular after his death than before and probably produce more albums after death as well. Hendrix has dozens of albums but I think he only actually put out two while he was alive. Michael Jackson will probably be the same.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His family has gone on record as saying that most of the songs on the new album "aren't Michael" singing.

He will probably be more popular after his death than before and probably produce more albums after death as well. Hendrix has dozens of albums but I think he only actually put out two while he was alive. Michael Jackson will probably be the same.

The Jackson kids have said at least 3 of the 10. I haven't seen any other numbers related to how many tracks are in question. Sony of course claims it's all Michael. Hendrix had 4 albums released before his death and the first 3 albums released after his death covered a large chunk of the remaining studio work for the double album he had been working on before he died.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Jackson kids have said at least 3 of the 10. I haven't seen any other numbers related to how many tracks are in question. Sony of course claims it's all Michael. Hendrix had 4 albums released before his death and the first 3 albums released after his death covered a large chunk of the remaining studio work for the double album he had been working on before he died.

Thanks for the detailed correction. I knew I was right in a general sense anyway.

For Hendrix I was referring to the never ending supply of crappy "Live" albums that came out afterwards, but thankfully almost none of them made the jump to CD anyway. At the time it seemed like anyone who had a tape of Hendrix playing anything, anywhere could get it made into an album.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Well to be accurate, "Much Too Soon" isn't exclusive to iTunes. It will be on the CD and other digital music stores. What's exclusive is the pre-release stream of the song.

Personally, I think Ping is pretty cool and use it regularly. I've found a number of songs and even an album that I normally wouldn't have because of it. Yes, it would help its popularity if Ping were on the internet, but Apple has at least also made it available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. iTunes and iDevices, that's pretty ubiquitous these days. And really, do you need to check Ping more than once a day?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I don't get Ping. A music social network? I activated it on my iTunes account, and I don't understand it's purpose. Chat with other people who like music? Talk about music, and songs, and bands? Isn't that general discussion you can have anywhere, with anyone, like on Facebook?

I don't get it and I don't think it will fly long term.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Ping, and now Game Center, lose me with their real name requirement.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for the detailed correction. I knew I was right in a general sense anyway.

For Hendrix I was referring to the never ending supply of crappy "Live" albums that came out afterwards, but thankfully almost none of them made the jump to CD anyway. At the time it seemed like anyone who had a tape of Hendrix playing anything, anywhere could get it made into an album.

Witness the number of posthumous Tupac albums as well. Hell, Prince has well over 1000 songs in his vault. When he dies, expect his estate to be issuing albums for decades. Not to mention he records every show or at least used to, so live albums could go forever too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well to be accurate, "Much Too Soon" isn't exclusive to iTunes. It will be on the CD and other digital music stores. What's exclusive is the pre-release stream of the song.

It's exclusive now tho, which makes it an accurate statement for the time being. It isn't like they try to hide that it isn't the closing album track.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    So Michael Jackson is on Ping, and we will get to see what he likes/dislikes?

I downloaded an album Tupac Shakur 'liked' yesterday.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Oh wow John McClain helped with the song? He can fight evil and Produce a song... Now that's talent :P

Yippie ka Yay
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Personally, I think Ping is pretty cool and use it regularly. I've found a number of songs and even an album that I normally wouldn't have because of it. Yes, it would help its popularity if Ping were on the internet, but Apple has at least also made it available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. iTunes and iDevices, that's pretty ubiquitous these days. And really, do you need to check Ping more than once a day?

Ping is the only thing reeking of FAIL from apple that i can smell....
  • Reply 18 of 41
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a new promotional effort to generate interest for its iTunes Ping music social networking service, Apple has landed an exclusive track from the late pop star Michael Jackson.

Were there no non-pedophile partners willing to feed the Apple profit machine?
  • Reply 19 of 41
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Nice tie-in Apple. A song nobody wants promoting a social network nobody wants.

-kpluck
  • Reply 20 of 41
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Ping? Pong. Meh.