In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm unfamiliar with iOS when I tried my friend iPad and I thought it's great. Never have to understand anything about it beforehand. When I tried Galaxy Tab my wife walked away swear she wouldn't look at Android again although she really like the size being small woman and all. She's that unimpressed.

I don't think the need to understand is required. We just tested what we want to use the device with. If we found it's not that good it's not that good. Very simple.

The thing is there is no actual Android tablet right now. Google has specifically stated that the current version of Android should NOT be put onto a tablet. But hardware manufacturers feel the need to churn out an iPad competitor regardless so they're shoehorning an OS that isn't ready for the task. Saying that the current Android tablets suck is like judging an application based on a beta version.

It's really kind of unfair to make judgments on Android tablets until the actual tablet-optimized version of the OS arrives.
  • Reply 82 of 160
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The thing is there is no actual Android tablet right now. Google has specifically stated that the current version of Android should NOT be put onto a tablet. But hardware manufacturers feel the need to churn out an iPad competitor regardless so they're shoehorning an OS that isn't ready for the task. Saying that the current Android tablets suck is like judging an application based on a beta version.

It's really kind of unfair to make judgments on Android tablets until the actual tablet-optimized version of the OS arrives.

Make you wonder, isn't it?, when someone here... cough... DaHar... cough... gave glowing review to the Tab, comparing to iPad no less.
  • Reply 83 of 160
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

Like I said, PC... I'm at work... no glossy screen here, sadly.

What's your screen resolution? I use 1920 x 1080p. In fact, I used my multi-touch pad to enlarge the image in the browser so it fits perfectly on my screen, with plenty of room left for the taskbar on the side.

Are these old low-res monitors the problem? The image is said to render fine on the Galaxy Tab. Is it a problem only on old-school 4x3 monitors?

Or what?
  • Reply 84 of 160
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

'Google' never said that, only that Android 2.2/Froyo was not currently 'optimized' for tablet use, which really means very little in the grand scheme of things, given that it's largely the apps that require 'optimizing' to better take advantage of the additional screen real-estate.

To be quite candid, Android (the base OS) is far better suited for tablet use than iOS (in many ways) given that one can easily customize the UI (widgets and icon spacing are two important options), whereas nothing can currently be done with the needless waste of space between icons on my iPad, and there's not a single live/active widget to be found (other than the clock/battery indicator).

Additionally: As I look a both my ipad and iPod Touch/4th generation, there's very little to differentiate the basic manner in which each functions other than the difference in display sizes.
  • Reply 85 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Lurking...

Showing his toys...

Love it!
  • Reply 86 of 160
    Quote:

Make you wonder, isn't it?, when someone here... cough... DaHar... cough... gave glowing review to the Tab, comparing to iPad no less.

Link Please?

Hint: I gave no such 'review'... and lying/posting to the contrary won't make your claim any less false.
  • Reply 87 of 160
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Link Please?

Hint: I gave no such 'review'... and lying/posting to the contrary won't make your claim any less false.

Chill. Lie? What a laugh? I'm not Apple fanboy why did i lie about such a thing?

And do I need to provide link? Really? "3 each". "near perfect" "wife found iPad too cumbersome" ring any bell?
  • Reply 88 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alma View Post

Love it!

There was an actual "Uncle Sherman" Doll in the 1980s.

AIR, It had a Belt on the raincoat, Boots and Pant Legs with garters just above the knees...

• Reply 89 of 160
    Quote:

Chill. Lie? What a laugh? I'm not Apple fanboy why did i lie about such a thing?

And do I need to provide link? Really? "3 each". "near perfect" "wife found iPad too cumbersome" ring any bell?

Hardly a 'review'... merely an opinion expressed in a forum post, just like all the rest.
  • Reply 90 of 160
    Quote:

Oh crap! I think you may have inadvertently started a 3 page thread on the meaning of the word 'review'.

[on edit... yup! here we go...]
  • Reply 91 of 160
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

To you I say: Pot... Meet Kettle.

One could infer from this that you mean to say I'm a troll, and, by implication, that you admit to being one. So, I'll take that as an acknowledgment from you that you are consciously and deliberately here as a troll.
  • Reply 92 of 160
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Not seeing how it's "unfair." Android is what it is, by its very nature manufacturers are free to do as they please. One of Apple's advantages is that they control the entire hardware/software stack; there will never be an iPad that doesn't meet Apple's standards.

By the time "proper" Android tablets hit the market (and who's to say they'll be all that compelling?) many consumers may have come to have a negative impression of such products, which is too bad but hardly unfair. Again, it's pretty much built into the platform that there will be shitty implementations, as vendors slap a free OS on cheap hardware while competing almost entirely on price.

So I would say that the more worrying trend for the Android tablet market is the probability that Apple is going to pretty much sew up their price points, which means the "real" competition is going to be cheap, not terribly well made hardware. Without the distortions of cell subsidies, it looks like the only way, at least for the foreseeable future, to sharply undercut Apple's pricing is to use less expensive components.

Fandroids like to imagine their platform is super compelling, that masses of people long for "open" hardware and resent Apple's "control", but it's pretty obvious that the Android cell phone market is being fueled by being "good enough", ubiquitous, and cheap to free. When someone comes in to re-up their contract and they get the hard sell on a BOGO or free with contract smart phone that looks dead sexy compared to that busted old clamshell, why not?

But tablets aren't like that, so it remains to be seen if Android's charms can win the masses over when there's price and availability parity. If not, then the actual Android tablet market will be the old story of the race to the bottom, which, when it comes to something like a personal touch device, might not be quite the recipe for market share building as it was in the PC market.

Imagine a world where Apple, HP, Dell, Acer, et al have roughly price parity for their laptop and desktop offerings. The super discount PCs are all no-name white boxes or sketchy Chinese brands with little known track record or simply vendors that specialize in prioritizing low cost over everything else (go look at some low-end netbooks to get an idea how that works).

Now take away the historic PC software advantage. Now take away the historic PC business lock-in. Now rerun the history of the PC market, and ask yourself if Android is really Windows in this scenario.
  • Reply 93 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alma View Post

What's your screen resolution? I use 1920 x 1080p. In fact, I used my multi-touch pad to enlarge the image in the browser so it fits perfectly on my screen, with plenty of room left for the taskbar on the side.

Are these old low-res monitors the problem? The image is said to render fine on the Galaxy Tab. Is it a problem only on old-school 4x3 monitors?

Or what?

1280 x 1024... but then that really misses the point of my post. oh well. my girlfriend's mother takes everything i say at face value as well...

incidentally, the ipad has a slightly higher res screen than the galaxy tab.
  • Reply 94 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One could infer from this that you mean to say I'm a troll, and, by implication, that you admit to being one. So, I'll take that as an acknowledgment from you that you are consciously and deliberately here as a troll.

If that's what makes you feel all safe and secure, you can label me as you desire, but unlike YOU (and your ilk) I put my money where my mouth is, and speak from actual long-term experience/ownership with/of these devices.

Happy Holidays
  • Reply 95 of 160
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    It doesn't take a genius to realise that people want iPad. I was today at my local Apple reseller and i thought there will be none left (there was a line actually). If i'm correct they sold something around 100 iPads in 2 hours. Tab is a joke, it's not even a tablet.
  • Reply 96 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Err... Do you mean that Screen Size isn't a system spec?

Or... were you just looking for something to argue about?

I was talking more about the guts of the device, but you're right, it is a spec.

I'm not looking to argue over whether or not this article deserves any respect. It's clear it doesn't.

Quote:

Well, he is a troll. We all remember when he was centering the text on all his posts just to annoy people. Whether he's lying or not, and about what, is another question. But he clearly he's only here to bash Apple and get people riled up, just like you, and that's pretty much the definition of troll, isn't it.

Uh oh, he centered his text! TROLL!!!!!!

Jesus Christ man, don't be such a moron. Centering text doesn't make you a troll, and posting how much you like your galaxy tab on an article at an apple fan site meant only to BASH the device doesn't make someone a troll either. He clearly owns an ipad and praises that as well, but I guess those sorts of posts just fade into the rest from people around here and you don't notice them.

BTW, having a difference of opinion doesn't make someone a troll. Here at AI, it just makes you an easy target for bullshit replies.
  • Reply 97 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Uh oh, he centered his text! TROLL!!!!!!

The key point being that he did it for the purpose of annoying people. You know how that is.

Quote:

... BTW, having a difference of opinion doesn't make someone a troll. Here at AI, it just makes you an easy target for bullshit replies.

No, it doesn't, but, for those who come here with their primary purpose to express a "difference of opinion", it does. Just as it would make me a troll if I went to, for example, an Android forum just for the purpose of expressing to them how misguided they were. Context is everything.
  • Reply 98 of 160
    Quote:

If that's what makes you feel all safe and secure, you can label me as you desire, but unlike YOU (and your ilk) I put my money where my mouth is, and speak from actual long-term experience/ownership with/of these devices.

Happy Holidays

Long-term ownership of devices just recently released? Uh, right.
  • Reply 99 of 160
    Quote:

It would seem that you misunderstand the meaning of the phrase. Here's some alternatives:

Similar idioms in other languages

Arabic: "The camel cannot see the crookedness of its own neck"

Azeri: "Kor kora kor deməsə bağrı çartlayar". ("If a blind man doesn't point out the other blind man that his blind, he'll die")

Basque: Xoxoak beleari: Ipurbeltz!. "The blackbird to the crow: Black tail!"

Burmese: "The Son is one month older than the father"

Hindi: "Ulta Chor Kothwal ko daante" ("The thief scolding the magistrate in reverse")

Indonesian: "Maling Teriak Rampok" ("The thief shouting robber")

Czech: Konvice nazývá kotlÃ*k černým. ("The pot called the kettle black") Hrnec hrnci káÂ?e, oba černÃ* jako saze - Čelakovský[4] ("Pot preaches to pot, both as black as soot.")

Chinese: "五十步笑百步" - [Those who have retreated] 50 steps laugh at [those who retreated] 100 steps.

Chinese: "雞看不見雞背脊" - A chicken can't see its own back.

Danish: Tyv tror, hver mand stjæler ("A thief supposes that everybody steals")

Dutch: De pot verwijt de ketel dat hij zwart ziet ("The pot reproaches the kettle for looking black")

Estonian: Pada sõimab katelt, ühed mustad mõlemad ("The pot reproaches the kettle � but they are both black")

Finnish: Pata kattilaa soimaa Â? musta kylki kummallakin ("The pot reproaches the kettle Â? black [is] the side of each")[5]

French: C'est l'hôpital qui se moque de la charité ("The hospital mocks the charity"), La pelle se moque du fourgon ("The shovel mocks the poker")[6]

German: Du sollst zuerst vor der eigenen Tür kehren ("Sweep first in front of your own door")

German: Ein Esel schimpft den anderen Langohr ("One donkey calls the other one longears")

German: Wer im Glashaus sitzt, soll nicht mit Steinen werfen ("Who sits in the glass house, shouldn't throw stones")

Greek: Ipe o gaidaros ton petino kefala ("The donkey said to the rooster "Your head is too big"")

Hungarian: Bagoly mondja verébnek, hogy nagy a feje or the short form Bagoly mondja verébnek ("The owl says the sparrow has a large head")

Irish: Sin an túlán ag tabhairt tóin dubh ar an phota! ==That is the pot calling the kettle black!

Italian: Il bue che dÃ* del cornuto all'asino ("The ox calling the donkey horned"), Cencio che dice mal di straccio (A rag speaking ill of a cloth)

Hebrew: כל הפוסל במומו פוסל‎ Kol HaPosail, B'mumo Posail ("All who disqualify [another due to a fault] with their own [having that] fault [so] disqualify")[7]

Japanese: "目糞が鼻糞を笑う" ("For the sleep in one's eyes to laugh at the snot in one's nose"), Sanabo.com

Korean: "똥 묻은 개가 겨 묻은 개 나무란다" ("The dung-stained dog reproaches the chaff-stained dog."), Naver.com or "겨 묻은 개가 똥 묻은 개를 흉본다" ("The chaff-stained dog disparages the dung-stained dog."), Naver.com

Lithuanian: "Juokiasi puodas, kad katilas juodas" ("The pot laughing at a black kettle"), Patarles.lt

Norwegian: Ã? kaste sten i glasshus ("To throw stones in a glass houses")[8]

Persian: دیگ به دیگ میگه روت سیاه ("The pot tells the other pot your face is black"), Tebyan.net

Polish: Przyganiał kocioł garnkowi, a sam smoli ("The cauldron was reprimanding the pot and it soots itself"),[9] often contracted to Przyganiał kocioł garnkowi ("The cauldron was reprimanding the pot")

Punjabi: ਆਪ ਕਿਸੇ ਜਹੀ ਨਾ, ਨਕ ਚੜਾਨੋ ਰਹੀ ਨਾ ("You are yourself good for nothing, and still trying to ridicule others")[citation needed]

Portuguese: Olha pro teu nariz ("Look at your nose," implying they also have dirt in their nose.),

Portuguese: O sujo falando do mal lavado ("The dirty is talking about the half clean")[10],

Portuguese: O porco falando do toucinho (The pig talking about the bacon)[11],

Portuguese: Quem tem telhados de vidro não atira pedras (People with glass roofs don't throw stones) and "Diz o roto ao nu" ("The one with shabby/torn clothes says to the naked man), these are more common in European Portuguese.

Russian: В чужом глазу соломину видеть, в своёмÂ?бревна не замечать ("To see a little straw in other's eye, and not to notice a log in his own"; this is Matthew 7:3)

Romanian: Râde ciob de oală spartă ("Potsherd laughs at the cracked pot")

Serbian: Rugala se Â?erpa loncu, a i ona garava ("The casserole laughs at the pot, and they are both sooty")

Slovene: Najprej moraÂ? počistiti pred svojim pragom. (Clean before your own doorstep first.)

Swedish: Kasta inte sten i glashus ("Don't throw stones in glass houses"), Sopa rent framför din egen dörr [först] ("Sweep [first] clean in front of your own door")

Spanish: Apártate que me tiznas, dijo la sartén al cazo ("Move away, you are blackening me, said the pan to the pot") El burro hablando de orejas ("The donkey talking about ears")

México: El comál le dijo a la olla ("The grill telling a to the pot")

Venezuela: Cachicamo diciéndole a morrocoy conchúo ("An armadillo telling a turtle it is too hard shelled")

Colombia: El que tiene rabo de paja, que no se arrime a la candela ("if you have a tail made of straw, you'd better stay away from the fire").

Argentina: El muerto se rÃ*e del degollado ("The dead guy laughs at the one with the throat slit")

Thai: ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง (wâa dtÃ*e kăo ì-năo bpen eng) ("[Enau] accuses others, but he himself is guilty") Thai-language.com, look up อิเหนา

Turkish: "Tencere dibin kara, seninki benden kara". ((One pot saying to another) "Pot, your bottom is black." - (other pot replying back) "Yours is blacker than mine!")

Urdu: الٹا چور کوتوال کو ڈانٹے ("The thief scolding the magistrate in reverse")

Vietnamese: Chó chê mèo lắm lông ("dog ridicules cat for being hairy")

Welsh: Sbia adra ("Look at home")

Slovak: (Trafena hus zagagala)
  • Reply 100 of 160
    Quote:

Long-term ownership of devices just recently released? Uh, right.

It's all relative... Isn't it ? (but thanks for your insight on the matter)...

In any case it's still exponentially longer than that of most in here who are so quick to bash competing products completely out of ignorance.

Note: I've been an Android user for well over a year now, and (much like my iPod/iPod Touch/iPad iOS) the users experience is not overwhelmingly dissimilar from one Android device to another.