Apple discontinues compact wired keyboard, Hulu Plus claims strong start

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Good. I don't know a single person that liked that keyboard.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

need hulu plus on apple tv. stat.

Exactly! I subscribed to HuluPlus but decided to drop due to the lack of a TV option. I told them once AppleTV viewing was an option, I'd come back.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

I disagree. My iMac is on a setup that is ladder shelves, and a special shelf for a computer. It fits my 20" iMac perfectly. I have the Magic Mouse, and the wired full size keyboard. My mousepad is, sadly, in front of my keyboard due to space issues. I have been waiting until I get an Apple gift card for Christmas to purchase, but seeing this, I guess I will be going to my local Apple Store today or tomorrow to pick one up.

You are in a very unique situation and the wireless version would serve you just fine anyway. New iMacs ship with the small wireless keyboard, and the full size wired keyboard is an option (no difference in price). I don't really see the point of having a small wired version as well.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Am I the only one who finds the trendoid obsession with wireless devices annoying?

My keyboard sits on my desk, about 45 centimeters from my computer. The only times I've moved it in the past 10 years have involved coffee spills. With the exception of my handheld, the only thing I get out of wireless is annoying disconnects and the opportunity to replace expensive, toxic batteries.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t think 3rd-party apps have AirPlay support. I would expect it to come, but I’d wager that support will come as an optional API. Frankly, I don’t see why Hulu would ignore this feature, but they’ve blocked access to their regular, ad supported site on Google TV, so who knows.

AirPlay can be enabled at the developer's discretion. I have not seen any third party examples of it for video but there are examples of Airplay audio. Radio Paradise has it for sure since I use it. Also I heard that Pandora does as well. Although I have not investigated the API required, it is apparently there for us to use.

EDIT: After some investigation, it appears that only audio Airplay is supported for third party apps, no video, although there are unpublished APIs in the SDK that can be hacked - but of course, Apple will probably decline to let in the App Store for using private APIs.

EDIT #2: Apparently there is a one line hack that makes it all work.

[movieController setAllowsWirelessPlayback:YES];

Still uses private APIs but at least we know it will work once Apple publishes the API. This was extracted from the youtube app.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The compact wired keyboard never made sense to me. Anyone on a desktop is going to need/want those extra function keys and numeric keypad on the full-size version.

I imagine there probably is some demand out there for a full-size wireless keyboard as well, such as someone in an accounting firm who wishes to take the iPad to client meetings (hint hint, apple).

I bought a separate wireless USB numeric keypad for my MacBook primarily after seeing how fast my accountant crunched numbers using one with his laptop. Apparently, most of the guys in his company have separate numeric keypads.

Now my setup is consists of a compact Apple Bluetooth keyboard + a mouse + the numeric keypad. The beauty of this layout, is that my mouse is closer to the keyboard which I use most of the time.

I have been considering getting full Bluetooth solution. Perhaps something like Microsoft's Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 & Number Pad and being able to use it with my iPad as well. Anybody, have any other recommendations?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Am I the only one who finds the trendoid obsession with wireless devices annoying?

My keyboard sits on my desk, about 45 centimeters from my computer. The only times I've moved it in the past 10 years have involved coffee spills. With the exception of my handheld, the only thing I get out of wireless is annoying disconnects and the opportunity to replace expensive, toxic batteries.

I agree for desktops. But then the iPad came along.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Speaking of Hulu Plus...

$7.99/mo for all shows including captions and non-captions, that's fine. But not to deaf, hard of hearing or non-English people...

$0.99 or $1.99/mo for all captioned shows only. That way, we don't have to pay extra for non-captioned services. That price is reasonable.

That's exactly how we feel. I wish Hulu would listen...
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

Or at least the ability to use AirPlay to push out video from an iPod/iPad/iPhone to an Apple TV.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Huh, maybe I need to go pick up one of these compact wired keyboards before they disappear.

I never use the numeric keypad and it is nicer to have the pointing device closer to the keyboard. I'm using the compact wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad at home. I should grab a wired version and do this at work.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    The reason I won't pay $9.99 for Hulu Plus on my iPad is because I can already watch hulu free on any other computer. Most people won't pay extra monthly for something on the iPad they already get free elsewhere. The idea is flawed.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

And MLB.TV.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think 3rd-party apps have AirPlay support. I would expect it to come, but I?d wager that support will come as an optional API. Frankly, I don?t see why Hulu would ignore this feature, but they?ve blocked access to their regular, ad supported site on Google TV, so who knows.

Pandora and Last.FM are two apps that are supported. Cover art shows. I would think next update to ATV or Hululu Plus app to work.would allow Hulu plus to work.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

Completely agree. Hulu Plus and Netflix on Apple TV would sway me to cancel Verizon Fios.

I wouldn't hold your breath- it took 3 plus years to get any non-iTunes movies on an Apple device. We should be so lucky to have the option to have any or all of them- I would prefer Amazon's myself. Hopefully Apple will get it that that the public want all these features like many blu-ray machines have these days.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I bought a separate wireless USB numeric keypad for my MacBook primarily after seeing how fast my accountant crunched numbers using one with his laptop. Apparently, most of the guys in his company have separate numeric keypads.

Now my setup is consists of a compact Apple Bluetooth keyboard + a mouse + the numeric keypad. The beauty of this layout, is that my mouse is closer to the keyboard which I use most of the time.

I have been considering getting full Bluetooth solution. Perhaps something like Microsoft's Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 & Number Pad and being able to use it with my iPad as well. Anybody, have any other recommendations?

2 devices instead of 1? Why doesn't Apple offer the wireless numbered keypad in the first place?
  • Reply 36 of 61
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Happilylaughing View Post

The reason I won't pay $9.99 for Hulu Plus on my iPad is because I can already watch hulu free on any other computer. Most people won't pay extra monthly for something on the iPad they already get free elsewhere. The idea is flawed.

There is far more content available on hulu plus, which is available on all platforms, not just iPad.

You get what you pay for. Prepare to see less content on free, legal, outlets.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    maybe the wireless one is simply outselling the wired
  • Reply 38 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

2 devices instead of 1? Why doesn't Apple offer the wireless numbered keypad in the first place?

I would love Apple to offer a matching Bluetooth Numeric Pad.

As for your question, most of the time I don't really use my number pad. But when I do, I find separate numeric keypad quite easy if not easier to use.

In addition, the small numeric keypad fits better in my carrying case.

Studies have shown that touch typist, particularly speed typist use the numeric keys on the keyboard and seldom use the number pad. As a matter of fact, all the typing programs that I have used only taught how to type using the main keys on the keyboard.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    I am not surprised. They include the wireless one with iMacs (etc.) now. Remember, Steve jobs does not like wires. I was disappointed to get the wired mini keyboard with my Spring 2009 iMac and finally ponied up for the wired extended keyboard. I would have gone for a Bluetooth extended one, but Apple has not made one in years since the clear and white plastic ones. That just doesn't look right in front of an Aluminum iMac. I would like to see them come out with that soon.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The compact wired keyboard never made sense to me. Anyone on a desktop is going to need/want those extra function keys and numeric keypad on the full-size version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Huh, maybe I need to go pick up one of these compact wired keyboards before they disappear.

I never use the numeric keypad and it is nicer to have the pointing device closer to the keyboard. I'm using the compact wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad at home. I should grab a wired version and do this at work.

I love this compact KB. I dont have to reach as far to the right for the mouse. When i did had a full size, i used to keep a wireless mouse BELOW the KB. It saves some space too.