In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 160
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

But there's no one device that's right all the time.

Well said... I currently have 8 portable devices(two of which I carry everyday). Im a tech geek and never really buy with respect to my needs. I simply buy because I might find a particular device intriguing.

I certainly didn't need the MacBook Air, but Im fascinated by its design and portability - so I bought one. Same with my iPads...
  • Reply 122 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

I'm sure the iPad *is* preferred, but a survey of 65 people has a margin of error of like +/- 25% or something.

Lemme put it this way: Political polls generally survey at least 400 voters, and even then the MoE is around 5%; to drop it down to 3% they have to bump it up to around 1,000 voters.

Yeah 65 respondents is pretty lame. I'm no Android fan but given the fact that the iPad was the first to market, got crazy press, and is actually living up to its hype, makes total sense why it would crush the Galaxy in such a survey. Though the galaxy is the first real iPad competitor...............many farts came before it and stole some of its shine.
  • Reply 123 of 160
    Even Family Feud surveys 100 people!
  • Reply 124 of 160
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sad... So Very Very Sad to see you constantly contradict yourself in the same post.

Note: Each does indeed mean Individual, which is exactly what I stated.

EACH –1. every one of two or more considered individually or one by one.

You said you had three each, last time you spouted off on the three tablets.. That means nine total. No wiggle room.

Where's the contradiction in my post? Your response saying there is one is merely a form of alternate reality creation.

Your lack of command of the english language is only approached by your internationally fungible memory and the disregard and disrespect you show your fellow posters. It's pathetic.
  • Reply 125 of 160
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I hope this thread goes on forever, alternating posts from people belittling the sample size and posts from daHarder explaining why "three each" means "three total."
  • Reply 126 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alma View Post

It is not limited to military usage. Instead, it is standard English usage:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/each

Noun

each (plural eaches)

An individual item: the least quantitative unit in a grouping.

Example:

2007, David E. Mulcahy, Eaches or Pieces Order Fulfillment, Design, and Operations Handbook, CRC Press, ISBN 978-0-8493-3522-8, page 385:

"An each, piece, single item, or individual item package."

Why do you respond to the trolls?

Wow. You looked up the word and still got its correct usage wrong. That's got to be embarrassing.
  • Reply 127 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I hope this thread goes on forever, alternating posts from people belittling the sample size and posts from daHarder explaining why "three each" means "three total."

This thread is going on forever... all the comments from every story are starting to meld into one... soon every discussion will be about the definition of "each".

[btw - I'm in the camp that believes if 3 people say they have 3 each of something then there are 9 items... it makes me believe that if DaHarder can get enough people to say that the sky is green that it will indeed be green]

On point... we love our iPad... as opposed to DaHarder, my Wife and I only have 1 iPad total... not 1 each. My Wife tried the GT and found it too small for the stuff she likes to do on the iPad.
  • Reply 128 of 160
    Concerning the original post. "Love me, love me, say that you love me, tell me what I want to hear". Otherwise it was rather pathetic. AI has informative posts, posts like this one (Blah!), and troll baiting posts often posted by Daniel Eran Dilger. I like the troll baiting posts because they often bring forth my favorite troll, DaHarder, who often manages to hijack a post. But not in this case, in this case the hijacking and troll baiting started with a post by:

nvidia2008

\t

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips

Those crazy 15%!

One of them was DaHarder...

DaHarder ignored this but responded to a post by RayInHou

DaHarder

\t

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayInHou

Exactly.... 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's no statistal poll by a long shot... it's just for headlines... shame on AppleInsider for posting such crap...

shame shame shame!!!!

Shit, we all love Apple.... but this is just stupid.

Well Posted... Enough Said!

I agree with both of them. The attack was then continued by:

newbee

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidia2008

Yea, and his family "bought 3 each" .....

and

iStud

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidia2008

I bet he forged his IP address 9 times.

Finally, DaHarder took the bait.

DaHarder

\t

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee

Yea, and his family "bought 3 each" .....

Along with a couple of iPads and NOOKcolors...

Picture omitted to protect the peanut gallery

Note: Try Not To Be Envious - Hater!

I left out the picture DaHarder posted since it traumatized so many people and will only note that it was a 1024x768 photo taken with a Sony DSC-H55 and was photohopped yesterday at 21:57 twelve minutes after it was taken. Then it was posted on mobileread.com and linked from there to AI at 07:25 today. The troll baiting continued and there were complaints about the font he used for his name as well as complaints about the size of the photo. I'll admit that the size bothered me since I had to reach all the way down to the lower right corner to resize my Safari window. I have read that it is easier to do this if your are using another operating system. At 08:57 DaHarder modified his post replacing the photo with a 640x480 photo linked from imageshack.com. I thought the photo was well done and I liked the font so I grabbed a copy of the 1024x768 photo from post #46. I would like to thank nvidia2008, Da Harder, and others for their contributions.
  • Reply 129 of 160
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

People make those sorts of arguments all the time. One that's been popping up recently is that tablets/iOS devices will displace "traditional" computers in a couple of years

Displace implies replacement. I don't think devices like the iPad will displace PC's, but I think it's clear that within a couple of years portable devices like the iPad (and I think the iOS will easily dominate this category) will [i]eclipse[i] and outsell traditional computers.

Easily. It's a no brainer. In fact the pace of this is much faster than I anticipated!

That doesn't mean that traditional computers will go away or cease to exist - they will still have their place (I'm not getting rid of mine) - but they will no longer dominate as they do today. There are far more people out there (especially world wide) who only need something like an iPad vs. those of us who also desire something more powerful as a computing device.
  • Reply 130 of 160
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If anything, your size argument simply suggests that the Tab is a rip-off since it costs about the same and only has 1/2 the screen area.

I'm not sure why you even bother trying to be logical and reasonable to the likes of him - your points, including this one, more than likely sailed right over his head (likely more out of stubbornness than ignorance).
  • Reply 131 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

FFS DaHarder your pic is screwing up my page zooming on my iPad. Smaller pls

Quote:

A 1024 X 768 pic is causing your iPad display issues... Really?

Note: My iPad (nor any other device) experiences no such issues... Oh Well.

Quote:

I wonder how it looks on the Galaxy Tab?

Da Harder? What's the verdict? Can the browser render it properly?

Quote:

Love It... It's fast, fun, beautifully made, well-rpiced, and I look forward to rooting it ASAP.

Note: Could you please delete the [IMG] line in your post as there are those who claim that it's causing page rendering issues on their devices.

Thanks

Quote:

Done. I deleted the image the in the post for the benefit of those using devices that could not render it properly.

Come on now, Alma and DaHarder, you know there are no "rendering issues", please do not FUD.

On iOS devices it displays fine, but because the pic is so big it causes it to expand the page horizontally unnecessarily , so that the default zoom in iOS is zoomed out more to fit the whole page content.
  • Reply 132 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

Concerning the original post. "Love me, love me, say that you love me, tell me what I want to hear". Otherwise it was rather pathetic. AI has informative posts, posts like this one (Blah!), and troll baiting posts often posted by Daniel Eran Dilger. I like the troll baiting posts because they often bring forth my favorite troll, DaHarder, who often manages to hijack a post. But not in this case, in this case the hijacking and troll baiting started with a post by:

nvidia2008

\t

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips

Those crazy 15%!

Firstly, I merely was being light-hearted because it is clear DaHarder would eventually jump on this thread sooner or later. I did not personally attack nor insult him.

Secondly, with regard to the image he posted, I really don't mind the images it is actually interesting to see the different sizes and screens etc, you don't see them like that all together even on the tech blogs. DaHarder is clearly a tech enthusiast, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just as a matter of forum courtesy I suggested it be reduced so it fits in the normal page flow, as it would allow everyone to enjoy this forum more.
  • Reply 133 of 160
    Quote:

What's your screen resolution? I use 1920 x 1080p. In fact, I used my multi-touch pad to enlarge the image in the browser so it fits perfectly on my screen, with plenty of room left for the taskbar on the side.

Are these old low-res monitors the problem? The image is said to render fine on the Galaxy Tab. Is it a problem only on old-school 4x3 monitors?

Or what?

Again, the idea of "rendering issues" because of 4x3, in other words implying the iPad is somehow deficient, is ludicrous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Okay, it was funny the other day about DaHarder being one of two people in line to get a W7 phone. Now the humor is getting a bit worn.

Fair enough, since it seems to cause so much controversy I'll attempt not to make such comments in the future. It's all too easy though sometimes.
  • Reply 134 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

65 is a small number, but it appears that even with this number, the results are significant.

With a sample of 65, the error margin is +/- 12%.

http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html

So we know that somewhere between 73% and 97% prefer the iPad (given a certain probability). That's a meaningful result, even with the large error margin.

If they had chosen a larger sample, the error margin would have been smaller, but the result wouldn't have been different - the iPad wins by a wide margin.

The real problem is not the size of the sample, but how representative it is. For example, if they sampled a group of people coming out of the Apple Store, the answer would have been very different than if they sampled people coming out of 'Geeks 'R Us'. Particularly with these small samples, you have to be VERY careful to avoid sample bias.

I should have added one thing here - since it's obvious that few of the people here understand statistics - even at a basic level.

The 73-97% range above is based on a confidence level. Typically, the assumption is that you want a 95% confidence level for surveys like this. So saying 73-97% range means that if you repeated the survey an infinite number of times, the result would fall between 73 and 97% about 95% of the time.

95% is a common, but arbitrary number. One could easily say that for purposes of a given study, you don't need that high of a confidence level. Based on the above information, if you're happy to be 80% confident in the results, the range would be something like 80-90%. There is no definite number, nor is there a definite range. It all depends on what you're hoping to achieve.

In addition, the data point given is always chosen as the center point, so is the most probable result.

In this case, the data was sufficient to indicate that the sample (which may or may not have been a representative sample - that's a different issue) overwhelmingly preferred the iPad by somewhere between 3:1 and 30:1 with about 7:1 being the most probable result. That is more than sufficient to prove the point.
  • Reply 135 of 160
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

It is a simple concept you're espousing. Unfortunately it's completely incorrect. In your sentence the word "each" is a pronoun which qualifies the noun (we). You seem to simply be bullheaded about this. And stop blaming the military. I've spent a few years at sub base Bangor, keyport torpedo station and several air force bases in Germany. Vernacular in the military is used to avoid confusion not create it.

The best part is that even his final explanation shows 9 instead of 3.

DaHarder>If you had said "My family have 1 each of the 3 products in question", that would have been very clear. Saying "we bought 3 each" makes it sound like each of you has 1 of all 3 or a total of 9 devices. I really don't see how you can't see why you were interpreted in such a matter, unless you're being obstinate on purpose.
  • Reply 136 of 160
    Quote:

In this case, the data was sufficient to indicate that the sample (which may or may not have been a representative sample - that's a different issue) overwhelmingly preferred the iPad by somewhere between 3:1 and 30:1 with about 7:1 being the most probable result. That is more than sufficient to prove the point.

The most I'm willing to get from this limited sample size is that in that given location (supposedly the survey was done outside a "national retail store"; feels more like a grade school survey to me...) and out of 65 responses, 85% of people preferred the iPad.

What gets me the most is that Gene Munster refuses to disclose any information about his methodology in gathering his data. Seems sketchy to me.
  • Reply 137 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

The most I'm willing to get from this limited sample size is that in that given location (supposedly the survey was done outside a "national retail store"; feels more like a grade school survey to me...) and out of 65 responses, 85% of people preferred the iPad.

What gets me the most is that Gene Munster refuses to disclose any information about his methodology in gathering his data. Seems sketchy to me.

As I said - the survey's methodology is questionable because there's no way of knowing if the sample is representative of the potential tablet-buying population as a whole.

My point is that there's nothing wrong with the statistics. You CAN make a reasonable assumption as to the validity of the results even for a sample size of 65. The question of whether the sample is representative is an entirely different question.
  • Reply 138 of 160
    For me, I'd get the Galaxy Tab over this current iteration of the Galaxy Tab. The size difference of both has its pros and cons, the Apple giving you more screen real estate, but the Tab, much more portable. However, the one thing that's not at all debatable, is that the Tab offers more features. Adobe flash for web browsing...definitely comes in handy with certain flash sites, and sites that have flash or flash content, whereas, on the Ipad, you may not be able to pull up the site at all, or you will be missing content on that site. And the other, that I know of, off hand, is that the Tab has 2 cameras, while the Ipad has none.

This has always been my argument against the Iphone. It seems to always have less features than it's biggest competitor at the time. Right now, it doesn't have adobe flash, as one major con, imo. If Apple would just consider at least matching it's major competitor, feature for feature, I'd definitely give them another try. One thing that Iphone has done, is to get Mapquest Navigation for free, which can compete with the free Google Maps Navigation of Android.
  • Reply 139 of 160
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post

For me, I'd get the Galaxy Tab over this current iteration of the Galaxy Tab. The size difference of both has its pros and cons, the Apple giving you more screen real estate, but the Tab, much more portable. However, the one thing that's not at all debatable, is that the Tab offers more features. Adobe flash for web browsing...definitely comes in handy with certain flash sites, and sites that have flash or flash content, whereas, on the Ipad, you may not be able to pull up the site at all, or you will be missing content on that site. And the other, that I know of, off hand, is that the Tab has 2 cameras, while the Ipad has none.

Well considering Adobe couldn't produce a full, working version of Flash until this past summer for mobile devices and even this version eats batteries, I don't blame Apple for not having it. The iPad has been figured for awhile to have 2 cameras coming w/the iPad 2 early next year. Remember that the Tab is reacting to the iPad and it isn't surprising that it has features the iPad doesn't. Apple doesn't refresh their product lines as often as other companies, but they have only been selling the iPad since April and it took till November to get a real competitor out.

Welcome to AI BTW. And I think you meant "I'd get the Galaxy Tab over this current iteration of the iPad"
  • Reply 140 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

think you meant "I'd get the Galaxy Tab over this current iteration of the iPad"

Are you sure he isn't from an alternate dimension where the his side's Galaxy Tab is much better than our Galaxy Tab?