Apple seeds second build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Nearly a month after the seeding of the first beta, Apple issued the second beta release of Mac OS X 10.6.6 Thursday, with support for the forthcoming Mac App Store.

People familiar with the latest build of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, dubbed 10J537, said it is a is a 1,000MB download. The first build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 was released on Nov. 4.

Mac OS X 10.6.6 reportedly "contains developer support for fetching and renewing App Store receipts," which could mean that the 10.6.6 update is scheduled for release in time for the opening of the Mac App Store, which is set to arrive within the next few months.

Focus areas for the new beta are said to include Bonjour, Dock, OpenGL, Printing and Spotlight.

Apple released the most recent OS X update, Mac OS X 10.6.5, on Nov. 10. The update was originally expected to include full Mac support for AirPrint, the new wireless printing feature in iOS 4.2, but documentation accompanying the release lacked any mention of the feature

Just prior to the release of Mac OS X 10.6.5, reports emerged suggesting that Apple had delayed Mac OS X support for AirPrint because of last minute stability and compatibility problems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    OK i will get on to it
  • Reply 2 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am waiting for the Mac App Store to buy iPhoto '11. Optical discs are so yesterday. Roll on dot 6.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am waiting for the Mac App Store to buy iPhoto '11. Optical discs are so yesterday. Roll on dot 6.

I can undestand the opinion that optical discs will eventually go away, but unless you have a macbook air, any other mac you could possibly own right now does have an optical drive, so why deprive yourself of some software you want to purchase just because of how distribution may go at some unspecified time in the future? Doesn't make sense to me to wait. If you order it online, you'll get it in a few days, while if you wait for the mac app store to be up and running, you'll be waiting until some unspecified time in 2011.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

I can undestand the opinion that optical discs will eventually go away, but unless you have a macbook air, any other mac you could possibly own right now does have an optical drive, so why deprive yourself of some software you want to purchase just because of how distribution may go at some unspecified time in the future? Doesn't make sense to me to wait. If you order it online, you'll get it in a few days, while if you wait for the mac app store to be up and running, you'll be waiting until some unspecified time in 2011.

You could be right.

Just remember - there are different preferences. I see it also a waste of the shelf space, ofter the Software has been installed from DVD/CD.

I would love to see Lion and App Store as well. It is actually what I am really looking forward to. It is going to be huge. HUGE!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I assume Microsoft is hard at work on the new 'Windows App Store' that they never thought of before.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

I can undestand the opinion that optical discs will eventually go away, but unless you have a macbook air, any other mac you could possibly own right now does have an optical drive

I'll take that bet. I have a Macintosh LC II. 3.5" floppy only. Hoo-ah, I win.

Quote:

so why deprive yourself of some software you want to purchase just because of how distribution may go at some unspecified time in the future?

I'm waiting to buy iLife '11 and iWork '11 on the Mac App Store so I don't have to waste money for a multi-license when I'll just be able to download them on all of my computers after having bought them in the App Store.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Physical media just takes up too much space. It will be interesting to see how they work the licencing issues though.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    A 1 GB build? Seems these things ought to be moving toward the smaller side as OS X becomes more refined. Hard to imagine the App Store alone would impact the OS on such a dramatic scale. Wonder what else is in there???
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Good deal, a new feature. Maybe we'll see this roll-out around Christmas. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I assume Microsoft is hard at work on the new 'Windows App Store' that they never thought of before.

Yeah, they will copy Apple which copied download.com.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

A 1 GB build? Seems these things ought to be moving toward the smaller side as OS X becomes more refined. Hard to imagine the App Store alone would impact the OS on such a dramatic scale. Wonder what else is in there???

Devil's advocate here: the releases we get are specifically tailored to the drivers our specific machines needs. This has all the drivers needed for every piece of supported hardware.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Yeah, they will copy Apple which copied download.com.

Download.com doesn't claim to have a comprehensive software store for Macs or PCs, unlike the App Store. And they don't take payments. Nice try
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 14 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I can undestand the opinion that optical discs will eventually go away, but unless you have a macbook air, any other mac you could possibly own right now does have an optical drive, so why deprive yourself of some software you want to purchase just because of how distribution may go at some unspecified time in the future?

Once the Mac App Store is up and running, how long do you think it will be until more Macs stop coming with optical drives? I predict 1 year.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Once the Mac App Store is up and running, how long do you think it will be until more Macs stop coming with optical drives? I predict 1 year.

hopefully very soon... kill the stupid built in optical drives!!!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Maybe now they'll finally fix the Help menu font spacing bug? Please? For the love of God? Such a simple fix.....seriously, how hard is it to fix such a glaring error???? Hello??? Apple???