Apple TV users report long rental wait times, HDMI issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i wonder if the user reporting "3,000 hours" to download a movie checked that their wireless network was still up.

This happened to me once. After seeing this, I immediately reset my cable modem and wireless router. Once everything was back up the movie started within seconds. I never had HDMI problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Well, iTunes rentals may be doomed. If it weren't for Netflix on the new ATV I wouldn't have bought and probably many others wouldn't have either.

For $7.99 unlimited monthly rentals, many of which are HD, it simply can't be beat. The 24 hour window/ high cost of an iTunes $5 per rental is not worth it to me.

The Netflix HD rentals stream so smooth and look amazing.

I have a friend that comes over and we log into his Nexflix account. I can't tell you how many movies I've wanted to watch that were just not available for streaming. Also, the ones I've watched were always in SD. I supposed the most recent movies might be in HD, but one of the ones I watched was the new Star Trek (2009) and it too was in SD.

So far on iTunes, I've only rented two movies. Both were $1.99. Actually, one of the $1.99 movies was on special, originally $3.99. When I got my bill I saw that they charged me the original $3.99 instead of the $1.99 special price. I fired off an email and within a few hours I had an apology, a $3.99 credit and an additional credit for any movie rental. Of course, it never should have happened, but I am definitely satisfied with it so far.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And most of these threads consist of the same few people posting again and again as they circle jerk each other into a frenzied lather.

I'd rather not read sentences like this. Not here. Not anywhere.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Try Googling Apple TV Error 112

Ah, the dread "try Googling X" argument.

Try Googling "Samsung Internet Blu-ray problems." Try Googling "Sony sucks." Try Googling "My dog is ordering me to kill."

Google is vast. There are confirmatory hits available for pretty much any damn thing you care to propose. It's entirely worthless as supporting evidence, for anything, ever.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    I have not experienced the HDMI problem at all with 2 ATV's on Sony TV's.Could be because of 3' HDMI cables. Use it mostly for Netflix as well as playing media served from a Mac mini unit. Haven't tried to rent yet, so don't know if it works or not.

One issue we did see is when we got my son an ATV, and it wouldn't see the Mac mini, even though you could ping both units from a MBP. Finally figured out that with the Time Capsule, one of them was on 2.4GHz band, the other unit was on the 5GHz band. I was a little miffed because I expected that they should work seamlessly together. In my son's case, it is moot because he does not have a dual band wifi router at his place. Still, I mention this here in case someone else might be having this problem.

Other than that, they work flawlessly.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Early adopters of Apple's second-generation Apple TV are reporting issues with streaming HD rentals and problems completing "HDMI handshakes" between the new Apple TV and their HD TVs.

Just don't shake hands that way.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

No issues with my 2nd gen ATV. I've only rented one movie (mostly use netflix), but didn't wait very long at all for it to start (less than a minute). Photo/video/audio streaming from iTunes has been flawless. Youtube is great (although I must say typing in search terms with the ATV remote is a bit annoying -- it would be nice to have a wireless keyboard option). All-in-all, I am very pleased. Well, well worth the $100.

There is a wireless keyboard option: It's called iPad or iPhone using the Remote app.

See, another excuse to buy yet more Apple gear!
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Let's hope the NC farm is going to have some of its resources devoted to this. I've never rented a movie yet on my ATV2 since I have Netflix for that already.

The servers are on strike. What do we want? More RAM! When do we want it? Now!
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

I'd really recommend against using wireless networking for streaming video applications. The bandwidth is too variable for many streaming systems to cope with. If you can't get an Ethernet cable from your router to the ATV (or any other streaming video device) then look into the Ethernet over power adapters. Although not full fast Ethernet speed, these still run faster than most people's external Internet connection so you won't have a bottleneck for streaming video. Switching to a hardwired connection will often stop video from stuttering every time you or your neighbor answers a cordless phone.

Steve Jobs says to turn off your wifi now, please.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have no such experience. Movies are available almost in seconds for me. Perhaps those with delays have slow internet, it has to buffer.

As to HDMI, I actually just installed a switcher for multiple HDMI sources and find that when i switch to the AppleTV it is instant, switching to FiOS TV takes several seconds to establish a signal. I was interested to note this as I assume it shows what a great signal it generates.

You must have almost the exact same set up as I do.

I bought a switcher and cheap cables from Amazon (Amazon's own branded HDMI cables) and it is all working great, though I will admit that the Apple TV is used mostly for Netflix and YouTube and not HD rentals. But so far so good.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Early adopters of Apple's second-generation Apple TV are reporting issues with streaming HD rentals and problems completing "HDMI handshakes" between the new Apple TV and their HD TVs.

Several discussion threads on Apple's support forums related to issues with HD rentals not loading and HDMI connectivity problems have reached hundreds of posts in length as increasing numbers of Apple TV owners report having trouble with the device.

Some users report that Apple TV displays HD rental wait times of hundreds of minutes, while other video, such as trailers, HD Netflix movies, and YouTube begin playing after just a few minutes. "At one point, the HD movie was going to take over 3,000 minutes to load," wrote one user.

Though a portion of the users have resolved the issue by upgrading to higher bandwidth Internet, others report the problem occurring even with high-speed connections capable of handling HD video.

Another Apple support thread details potential compatibility issues between Apple TV and a number of HD TV sets. Users report frequent "HDMI handshakes" between the TV and Apple TV, with the picture returning with inverted colors. A user-compiled list of TVs affected includes models by Philips and Sony.

The Apple TV 4.1 firmware update, which was released last week alongside iOS 4.2, does not appear to resolve either issue.

Apple unveiled the revamped $99 Apple TV in September with a focus on 'the cloud' and streaming media. With just 8GB of onboard storage, Apple's new set top box serves as a hub for content streamed from the Internet, computers, or iOS devices.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced in October that the company had sold 250,000 Apple TVs in "just a short amount of time."

have been using apple tv v.2 with update on my sony HD. everything working as advertised, no delays in rentals or streaming of any kind. guess i'm one of the lucky ones!
  • Reply 71 of 86
    have been using apple tv v.2 with update on my sony HD. everything working as advertised, no delays in rentals or streaming of any kind. guess i'm one of the lucky ones!
  • Reply 72 of 86
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm loving my new AppleTV. I'm not experiencing delayed download times, but I have noticed an occasional stutter when watching downloaded movies.

With the addition of airplay and netflix, this thing is an absolute winner. I'm buying two as Christmas presents for family members.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Nothing to worry unless IT'S OVER 9000!
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Getting in early here... Apple is D00med!!!

Just give everyone a bumper. Its not that much bigger than an iPhone.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Steve, please buy NetFlix, problem solved.

The boldest move Steve Jobs can make; let's take over the movie distribution business, just like how you took over the music download business.

What are you going to do with the $50 billion cash on hand, let roll the dice and re-write the movie and TV viewing experience.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm loving my new AppleTV. I'm not experiencing delayed download times, but I have noticed an occasional stutter when watching downloaded movies.

With the addition of airplay and netflix, this thing is an absolute winner. I'm buying two as Christmas presents for family members.

Likewise on the gifting. One for my son, niece and nephew!

I feel sorry for those that may be having issues, but my setup just rocks.

I am also in the process of ripping all of my DVD movies to a RockStor 8Gb RAID.

Now, if someone wants to point me in the right direction for ripping legally owned Blu-ray discs?

You know, something that is as simple as RipIt and iDentify? I just might feel the need to pony up yet another ATV2 for you!
  • Reply 77 of 86
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Steve, please buy NetFlix, problem solved.

The boldest move Steve Jobs can make; let's take over the movie distribution business, just like how you took over the music download business.

What are you going to do with the $50 billion cash on hand, let roll the dice and re-write the movie and TV viewing experience.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings: 2010 FORTUNE Business Person of the Year
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings: 2010 FORTUNE Business Person of the Year

Hestings will be giddy with a Board seat ... he has already made his keeps: he made his millions, $10 to be exact last year and who knows how much more since becoming CEO, and seriously, where can they go, haven't they learnt from Blockbuster.

With Apple running NetFlix, downloads will be smooth and fits perfectly with ATV2 and so many more possibilities ... imangine every home with ATV2; Apple could bring Disney and other movie premiere right to family homes, concerts and other shows ... heck with the dumb cable boxes, let Apple-Flix change the way we watch TV & Movies!!!
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

HDMI handshake? Well, that's the problem. It requires a fist-bump.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Fist-bump? Well, that's the problem. It requires a full TSA Pat Down for HDCP to work right!

• Reply 80 of 86
    There's definitely something funky about the HDMI on the Apple TV.

I've not had any picture issues, but mine is connected to an HDMI switch box with my Blu-ray and DVR (single-HDMI TV). The switch will automatically switch between the Blu-ray and DVR as they are switched on and off, but won't automatically select the Apple TV. Also, once it's switched to the Apple TV, it won't automatically switch away when the other boxes power up. I wonder if the HDMI port is kept "powered up" even when the device is asleep.

I've not used the video rental yet, my broadband's not up to it and it's too expensive, but I've not had any other performance issues. I use AirPlay a lot - only issue I've had is that if you pause playback with the Apple TV remote it won't start again from that remote, I have to resume from the iPod.