Live TV, pico projector seen as candidates for Apple's 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I would guess wireless headphones more likely, especially since apple just bought a wireless headphone company...

Ah... Wireless headphones. Another way for Apple to sell proprietary stuff. Ever since my first mac (266Mhz PowerMac 3G), I've always been disappointed with their audio options.

Remember they had to have a special microphone, so you couldn't just buy a regular computer mic and plug it in. Then they had the first generation iPhone with it's colossal fail for a headphone jack. Everybody had to rush out to get overpriced adapters just so they could use regular headphones.

Unless Apple is looking at a way to do 'better' bluetooth headphones that any company can sync with, I am not looking forward to this at all.

[/rant]
  • Reply 22 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What a crock.

Pico-projectors are dangerous, minimally useful to a small subset of the population, and eat up batteries like there's no tomorrow.

Apple would have to be completely insane to include a pico projector in the iPhone 5.

Pico-Projectors may impress geeks and infest their dreams, but the average person has no use for one. The technology won't be there for at least five years anyway, and the utility of it is highly questionable.

But one day in the 007 like future it may not be entirely unlikely. At least I'd like to imagine an iPhone that you can place upright in front of you on a table surface and a forward facing pico projector displays a keyboard on the table top whilst a rearward facing projector projects a much larger screen image on the wall behind. The portable computer of the future.

You have to imagine it before it can be built, right?
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I would guess wireless headphones more likely, especially since apple just bought a wireless headphone company...

That was a rumor. Apple actually came out and set the record straight themselves, they did not buy out the wireless headphone company.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't see either one happening for the iPhone 5. It's too late. The phone should already be in beta testing.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Funny thing is PicoProjector was one thing I heard for iPhone 4 way before it hit any blogs/rumorsites. I do think that people are not thinking differently in the anti-pico comments here, Pico projectors mean whatever screen size you want, great for those 50+ years old eyes. Turn the inbuilt screen off, point pico at a blank piece of paper or any other white surface.

Here's some other cool tech:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mist...echnology.html
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Doesnt samsung already have a pico projector phone out?
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Don't know about the battery and lumens issues but it might be interesting to use the pico projector to have a full size video chat.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echocron View Post

Don't know about the battery and lumens issues but it might be interesting to use the pico projector to have a full size video chat.

Ha-rumph... ala Star Wars - 'Yes my master.....'

Any who... don't see these things being added.

But, what should be added - hardware wise?

Im hard pressed on how to improve hardware on iphone except for better speed, battery and more memory.

Magnet recharge ala MBP etc.

RFID reader(although that seems pretty niche)

Better(more efficient) GPS.

Yes, one of the few who would like to pick up over air radio.

How about click to talk(is that hardware?)

Flash as a flashlight(sort of there).

Solar recharge via back panel(that makes sense to me)

Have to admit, would like the screen a tad bigger, not much but bigger. 4.3 inch seems good

Integrated rubber bumber case

Toggle button(god and Steve J forbid)

How much more crud can they stuff in this thing and still be usefull?
  • Reply 29 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demitri View Post

Doesnt samsung already have a pico projector phone out?

Yes. Here is a video demo with Dwight Shrut.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Highly unlikely.

Apple is pushing AirPlay - why would they split the attention to something like this?
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Nice to see there's some sane people on this thread. The original analyst is just dreaming up random stuff here. Neither the Live TV nor the projector fit in the "Apple" universe.

Live TV isn't going to happen becasue it eliminates the apple store. If Steve Jobs has made one thing clear in all his ventures, he wants Apple to be the content deliverer.

Project is very interesting, but it's a limited technology that actually isn't served very well being attached to the iPhone anyway.... what's much more likely is that a 3rd party will continue developing and supporting something like this. I think the best device out there would be an "Airplay" like device that would do the projector over Wifi.

Anyway... thi sis still such a limited appeal... Apple would never include this. That's a business mindset... not an Apple mindset.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    64 Gig of memory would be far more useful to the average punter than a Pico projector. Movies and music take up a lot of space! Some of the super high quality apps weigh over 700 megs now, a few of those and space is a problem.

That NFC functionality looks way cool though. As long as people can opt out if they wish.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Would the live TV work worldwide? Is everyone on pretty much the same standards now or not?

Cause I can't see Apple going for a hardware feature which is only useful in a couple of territories. I know Apple launch lots of software/services stuff which is US only to begin with, but they can fix that by signing a few contracts and software updates.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

64 Gig of memory would be far more useful to the average punter than a Pico projector. Movies and music take up a lot of space! Some of the super high quality apps weigh over 700 megs now, a few of those and space is a problem.

That NFC functionality looks way cool though. As long as people can opt out if they wish.

I think that additional Flash storage is a separate issue altogether as I doubt Apple will be adding additional chips taking up additional space to increase capacity, but instead wait for the chip density and cost to come to a point allows them to increase capacity without using more space.

In fact, I think it?s much more likely that Apple would use less chips to get the same capacity for those off capacity increases where adding more storage simply isn?t as practical as reducing component size and weight. Have they done this in the iPhone yet?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    The Pico, yes, it is a great move, to show photos anywhere, keynotes, and maybe view a movie, that could be awesome if it works great. The TV, no, I don't think so, TV is for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad what FM Radio is, a competition for the iTunes Movie rentals, any iTunes Movie business or TV shows, as FM Radio is a competition for buying music from iTunes. So TV, no.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I don't expect to see iPhone with a projector, and live TV? Maybe.

I do however expect: Apple to work on polishing its OS.

Over the past 4 years Apple has added feature upon feature upon feature to its OS. I'd expect Apple to now go through and alter a lot of the look and feel of the device, perhaps change the way notifications work (they NEED to be changed) and move into some form of "day view" on the home screen that shows you your calendar plans, your recent notifications, etc.

Apple could then have an "opt in" basis to the new OS, saying an application needs to be modified somewhat to work on iOS 5 and later. Perhaps if they use notifications they need to migrate to the new system. This is pure speculation - they may leave everything in place for older applications, and just opt in to the new changes.

But Apple's OS is the real talking point of every iPhone, no matter what their new "features". The real thing is they software inside the hardware, and it currently seems to be ageing quite dramatically. There are improvements they need to do, and with such an orchestrated environment for the OS they can work on moving applications to new software designs without causing too many problems for older applications.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But one day in the 007 like future it may not be entirely unlikely. At least I'd like to imagine an iPhone that you can place upright in front of you on a table surface and a forward facing pico projector displays a keyboard on the table top whilst a rearward facing projector projects a much larger screen image on the wall behind. The portable computer of the future.

You have to imagine it before it can be built, right?

Imagination is great. But unless you plan on changing the laws of Physics, you have to work within them. For a projector to be widely worthwhile, you need a certain amount of light, which is far more than the iPhone battery can provide. You may get a pale image in a completely dark room with a perfect projection surface, but filling a wall with a compelling image for an audience? Not so much.

So let your imagination work on laser diodes that approach the theoretical limit for efficiency, and combine that with some imagination on how you're going to increase the iPhone's battery capacity by at least an order of magnitude. And then spend some imagination on the practical implications dissipating that amount of energy -- heat and enough laser energy to start fires and blind people. Insoluble? No. But not by iPhone5.

They could implement a lame projector in iPhone5. I doubt they'd want to but markets can be funny. if Android phones come out with it, it will be interesting to see if Apple follows suit.

Airplay is far more viable, imho. instrumenting the phone to throw any and all output to a big-screen would be a far more successful solution, via AppleTV or directly with HDMI, which is something that *should* be on iPhone5, imho.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    It will be a 3D pico projector. You will set it on your coffee table an an image of a girl in a white dress will pop up saying "Help me, Obi Wan..."
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

One thing is certain, now that Android has produced some heavy competition, whatever Apple decides to do it will have to be a significant update.

Why does the strength of a competing OS platform mean Apple has to make a significant hardware update? What software-based killer feature do you think Android and its third-party developers are going to come up with in the next six months that Apple would have to respond to with a "significant" hardware update?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Imagination is great. But unless you plan on changing the laws of Physics, you have to work within them.

So forget all the technological advances of the last 40 years because Scotty already knew it all back in the 1960's.