Acclaimed architect Norman Foster to build Apple's new campus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Good luck to them. I went to a presentation at the main campus a couple of months ago, and that seemed reasonably nice, but driving around Cupertino and seeing some of the buildings they are using, they really don't seem befitting of such a successful company.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i usually can't stand the people who nit-pick the grammar of stories here, but as an architect i know for certain that Foster + Partners are not BUILDING the campus - they're designing it, so this headline is wrong.

may seem like a little thing, but it's as big as "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China"

Will the new campus be "Made in China", "Assembled in Cupertino"?
  • Reply 43 of 88
    I think they will probably have an underground monorail that connects the two campuses.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    If Apple can work in a carbon-neutral manner, I will not complain if other companies copy them.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

most of fosters work is 'bucky fuller builds a green house'

Huh. So not very knowledgable about architecture or "Bucky Fuller", I guess.

However, were Buckminster Fuller to build a greenhouse, one thing that we might be sure of is that it would be environmentally sustainable.

Since your very next comment complains about lack of environmental ssensitivity, it would appear you're just sort of throwing out random snark because, I dunno, that's all you know how to do?
  • Reply 46 of 88
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Will the new campus be "Made in China", "Assembled in Cupertino"?

"Designed by Foster + Partners, Built by Swinerton Incorporated"

or Bechtel Group, or DPR Construction, or similar.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

That's certainly a new (old) twist.

This could be the subject of endless jokes.

Quote:

i usually can't stand the people who nit-pick the grammar of stories here, but as an architect i know for certain that Foster + Partners are not BUILDING the campus - they're designing it, so this headline is wrong.

Don't feel too badly, that's a pet peeve of mine too. I haven't seen too many architects swinging hammers either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

However, were Buckminster Fuller to build a greenhouse, one thing that we might be sure of is that it would be environmentally sustainable.

Since your very next comment complains about lack of environmental ssensitivity, it would appear you're just sort of throwing out random snark because, I dunno, that's all you know how to do?

Fuller wasn't really an architect, he was an industrial designer and all-around theoretician. His one real contribution to the field of architecture was the geodesic dome, which was an outgrowth of his ideas about structure. I heard him lecture a couple of times. It was wild. He was all over the place, nearly impossible to follow. One thing I remember him saying was that architects don't design buildings, bankers design buildings.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ard Buijsen View Post

Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past. BTW it's not very likely that Sir Norman himself will make the design or be even responsible for the design...

Underground tunnels are a great way to keep the world above green and populated with trees and shrubs.

www.boxculvert.com seems to be one way underground tunnels could be constructed and installed in a quick manner speeding up construction.

I think this project sounds great and I am going to have to read me some more information on the car-less city mentioned.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ard Buijsen View Post

Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past. BTW it's not very likely that Sir Norman himself will make the design or be even responsible for the design...

So are you suggesting Apple should have used only an unproven architecture student?
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

In a related development, Apple has figured out what to do with their billions of dollars of cash.

LOL, made my day.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publication also said that transit on Apple's new headquarters will be accomplished through a network of tunnels, allowing the surface areas to remain green.

I hope that it turns out better than this:

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Pro...8/Default.aspx
  • Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Fuller wasn't really an architect, he was an industrial designer and all-around theoretician. His one real contribution to the field of architecture was the geodesic dome, which was an outgrowth of his ideas about structure. I heard him lecture a couple of times. It was wild. He was all over the place, nearly impossible to follow. One thing I remember him saying was that architects don't design buildings, bankers design buildings.

Right, I wouldn't make any claims for the architectural esthetics of a Fuller designed greenhouse (or its practicality functioning as same), but we can be sure that he would be keenly sensitive to matters of efficiency, energy use and (were he designing things today) what we currently think of as "sustainability" (as per his Wichita House and other 'Dymaxion' designs, crazy ass unlivable tinkerer's pipe-dream though they may otherwise be).

But more generally my point was that "Bucky Fuller designs a greenhouse" is nonsensical in several directions.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Two words: Volcanic Lair
  • Reply 54 of 88
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    if steve jobs didn't live in california and i'm certain he doesn't want to move, california would be one of the worst places to live. no matter how close it is to silicon valley. a bankrupt state that's choking on pelosi style politicians. not an attractive work environment.

north carolina would have been a lot more friendly and closer to nyc for a little culture.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The concept has a ring of Disney about it, especially the subterranean access and emphasis on the looks above ground. I wonder if there will be a public element to this. It would be nice to visit Apple City, maybe a ride or two for us big kids

I did enjoy the presentation by Walt on the original EPCOT concept. I don't know if it would have worked out, but at least he had a visionary concept, and the drive to make it work died with him. The current theme park pales in comparison with the original concept.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Don't feel too badly, that's a pet peeve of mine too. I haven't seen too many architects swinging hammers either.

It seems deeply ingrained. I recall in a college art history class where a presentation said a certain Pharaoh "built" a certain pyramid. I doubt any of them had handled limestone in any significant capacity or even made a single drawing.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:

a Fuller designed greenhouse (or its practicality functioning as same), but we can be sure that he would be keenly sensitive to matters of efficiency, energy use

From the Growing Spaces?s website:

?The Growing Dome Greenhouse is a working model of the wisdom, practicality and well being that is the foundation of a sustainable lifestyle. Developed for the harsh climate of the Rocky Mountains, our Growing Dome greenhousesare available in eight sizes and can produce fresh vegetables, fruits and flowers year round!

?Because of its seven unique features, the Growing Dome greenhouse, if heated for tropical plants, uses only 1/3 of the amount of heat needed by a regular greenhouse. As a result, the Growing Dome dramatically reduces our environmental footprint. At the same time, they provide the optimal environment for growing fresh, organic and nutritious vegetables, herbs and fruits throughout the year.?
  • Reply 57 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Great looking building. I assume it folds up at night when not in use

Best comment of 2010?
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Quote:

if you understood design-wise what i was talking about you might get it. i never mentioned sustainability.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

if you understood design-wise what i was talking about you might get it. i never mentioned sustainability.

So your conception of "having a sense of nature" is simply esthetics?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

"Designed by Foster + Partners, Built by Swinerton Incorporated"

or Bechtel Group, or DPR Construction, or similar.

More like Conceived by Foster + Partners, Designed by Gensler, MEP by WSP Flack + Kurtz... not sure who to pick for Structures.

I'd give Turner a chance at building it too though.