Consumer Reports readers rank AT&T worst carrier in US

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    AT&T a company with great opportunity but lack of execution.

How could AT&T have spent 2 billion in the last year and the service has barely improved????

Shame on AT&T not taking advantage of having the IPHONE and providing good service.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    Some people on this list need to check their facts...

Instead of 'hating' or 'picking on' Apple, Consumer Reports has actually rated Apple laptops ? including the Macbook Air ? as among the best and most reliable laptops in the industry. Just because Consumer Reports posted a fair review about the iPhone 4 antenna issues doesn't mean they hate Apple. They are real. Seriously...PLEASE check your facts before you post.

There used to be a time when Apple fanatics were able to see both the good and bad of the company. As of late this entire site ? led by 'journalist' Daniel Erin Dilger ? seem to believe that Steve walks on water and that Apple makes no mistakes. If Steve says, Flash sucks, it does. If 7" tablets are DOA, they are.

Hard to admit, but Apple does make mistakes. Chief among them making AT&T the exclusive US carrier for as long as they have. And yes, I have my own AT&T coverage/dropped call/customer service horror story that backs up the other posts.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

"71.2 percent of all AT&T cell phone subscribers, which includes users of smartphones like the iPhone as well as feature phones, use data services, while only 43 percent of all Verizon cell phone users subscribe to data services."

they all

suck

jitterbug is cool

• Reply 64 of 78
    It's not the data useage... It's the dropped call and the coverage.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    You would think that if they actually do take their customers' satisfaction seriously they would at least not be the lowest of the lowest. ATT's corporate culture has not changed and if it were not for the passion of the iPhone (apple) faithful ATT would be in the dustbin of history.

Let's wait to see once the plasma needle (iPhone exclusivity) is withdrawn from ATT. They will become the beggars of the industry and their contempt for their own customers will come back to haunt them. This is what happened to their landline business once Excel and LCI showed how overpriced ATT was.

• Reply 66 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I object to your disparagement of characters as great and goodnatured as the muppets

It's the muppet show, with our very special guest star C*ckity McC*ck from Consumer Reports.

"That's right Kermit, I wanted to be a journalist but they told me I was full of sh*t so I got this job at Consumer Reports, where I promptly ragged on the iPhone for a problem that all cell-phones have. But forget all that and just believe what I'm telling you today!"

"Yaaaaaaay!!!!"

"Now if only I was sh*t at economics instead of journalism, I could have been a congressman."

"Yaaaaaaay!!!!"
  • Reply 67 of 78
    I've been with AT&T since the release of the iphone 4. Before that I spent three years or more each with Sprint and T-Mobile. I'm also in the military, so I travel frequently and have been stationed all over the country.

In my experience, AT&T has had pretty great coverage so far. Their customer service has been responsive and their website absolutely rocks. Their prices are comparable to the other major branded carriers (even a tad lower than Verizon).

I'm happy with AT&T thus far.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This survey is flawed. All of the iPhone users are on a single network (AT&T). As everyone knows, iPhone users have a unique expectation level and they stress the network far above all other cell phone users. This has skewed the results.

Not to mention that it is a survey of just their readers. That probably skews the results just a tad also.

That said, I don't get well the conclusion about Verizon is coming from. Based on those results Appe should hooking up with US Cellular. Huge market, best ranked in customer satisfaction etc. Total win
  • Reply 69 of 78
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...That said, I don't get well the conclusion about Verizon is coming from. Based on those results Appe should hooking up with US Cellular. Huge market, best ranked in customer satisfaction etc. Total win

Because they have 6 million customers.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I love ATT ... is that because I drink the coolaid?

Rethink possible?
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Consumer Reports has it all wrong. That would be Verizon.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

Seriously. We know that they are unfair to apple, and now, it seems ATT is in their cross-hairs.

I wish I had kept my old Consumer Reports magazines as I would scan and share the review they once did on the iMac - they gave it a low score for not having a built in word processor. I guess TextEdit doesn't count. That said, they have consistently reviewed Apple products as being different in a negative way and repeated the old stuff about 'less software' etc. always rating others much higher. Is a computer better because it comes with a trial for Office?

AT&T has paid a price being exclusive and will weather the storm. I know Verizon was approached first but does anyone know if there was a chance Apple would have launched the iPhone on both carriers had the stars aligned? Only then would we really confirm what is only rarely talked about: the iPhone by design may drop calls and choke on its own data bottlenecks; it's more than a carriers network capacity.

Consumer Reports should stick to which washer machine gets clothes the cleanest.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    AT&T Mobility Rated A+ Nationally on Average by Better Business Bureau! (According to their own press release)

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=31420

Personally I have had very few problems with them but until all the carriers get up to speed with technology, everyone is going to suffer regardless of who the carrier is.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idealtoy View Post

AT&T Mobility Rated A+ Nationally on Average by Better Business Bureau! (According to their own press release)

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=31420

Personally I have had very few problems with them but until all the carriers get up to speed with technology, everyone is going to suffer regardless of who the carrier is.

I agree. Something with the Consumer Reports Survey is not right. The survey itself is comparing apples and oranges. The iPhone has the lowest return rate....so I think people were just upset about the exlusiveness rather than the actual service.

Verizon...enjoy your high marks this year...it will be your last.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmyers2 View Post

Only then would we really confirm what is only rarely talked about: the iPhone by design may drop calls and choke on its own data bottlenecks; it's more than a carriers network capacity.

BS. My iPhone 3G is great on T-Mobile, and sucked on AT&T. No one in any other country besides the US that I am aware of has complained of problems with the iPhone. It's the network stupid.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    I've been a Consumer Reports subscriber for decades but I'd have to agree that they seem to have a bias against Apple. My suspicion is that their staff are all Windows geeks so they seem to give praise grudgingly on just about anything Apple does. They really nit-pick little things like in your example.

My latest beef with CR is their report on electronics stores. They give Apple high scores on service and reliability but a black much worse than average on price. I'll grant that Apple products aren't cheap however, much worse than what? Than another store selling Apple products? Than a Microsoft store? Than Fryes? If you were comparing comparable PCs...same manufacturer, same specs...and Apple's price was out of line, I could buy that. However, CR makes no effort to try and compare other stores selling Apple products (all pretty much the same price) or even stores selling PCs of comparable build and software bundling (if they could find one...). As a result, an ignorant reader is going to see that review and say "Wow, why would I buy there. CR says their prices are totally out of line..."
  • Reply 77 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This survey is flawed. All of the iPhone users are on a single network (AT&T). As everyone knows, iPhone users have a unique expectation level and they stress the network far above all other cell phone users. This has skewed the results.

More than half of the AT&T respondents were iPhone users. It would be interesting to see the survey results if you could take away the iPhone users.

Next year?s survey will become more meaningful when we can compare iPhone users on multiple carriers. (IE?how does a Verizon iPhone user compare with an AT&T iPhone user, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc).

In fact, Consumer reports should compare the same cell phones on various networks to get a ?like for like? result. What?s the point of comparing a network full of voice/text users with a network that carries a lot of wireless internet traffic?

You sir have the IQ of lint...
  • Reply 78 of 78
    No question about it. ATT has achieved the WORST of the WORST Award. . In NYC where towers are suppose to be plentiful and service is suppossed to be respectable I can honestly say that ATT should be paying the customers to be with them. After all, we are paying for service and we should get it.

ATT refuses to face reality and spend the money neccessary to update their antiquated system. Back in the late 1999 ATT's service was just as bad and there was no IPHONE around.