Google VP shows off prototype Android-based Motorola tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Andy Rubin, the mastermind behind Google's Android mobile operating system, demoed a prototype Android-based tablet from Motorola on Monday at this week's D: Dive Into Mobile Conference.

The prototype was running Honeycomb, the tablet-optimized 3.0 version of Android OS due out "sometime next year," and will sport a "dual core 3D" processor, an NVIDIA processor and video chat, Engadget reports.

Rubin, a former Apple engineer who now oversees development of Google's Android initiatives, teased the tablet during an interview with Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher of The Wall Street Journal.

During the interview, Rubin also showed off the just announced Nexus S smartphone, a flagship Android device that Google and Samsung are partnering together on. The Nexus S will ship with Gingerbread, Android version 2.3.

After Rubin revealed details about next year's Android version 3.0, Mossberg asked Rubin: is Honeycomb "a version that happens to work on tablets, or is it for tablets?" To which, Rubin replied "It's a bit of both."

In October, Apple CEO Steve Jobs downplayed the threat that Android tablets present for the iPad. "Even Google is saying don't use Froyo [the current release of Android OS], and instead to wait to use next years' version. What does it mean when a software maker says not to use their release and you use it anyway?" said Jobs during an earnings call.

With Google's Honeycomb Android update customized specifically for tablets, the rivalry between iOS and Android should heat up next year. Samsung released the Galaxy Tab, the first major touchscreen tablet based on Android earlier this year, selling 600,000 units in the first month of availability, less than the iPad, which reached one million sales in just 28 days. Initial reviews of the Galaxy Tab were generally positive, though some reviewers complained about the pricing and stability of the device.

Motorola and Apple are currently embroiled in a series of patent lawsuits against each other over smartphone, mobile and wireless technologies. Most recently, Apple added 12 more patents to its lawsuit against Motorola, bringing the total count to 24. Meanwhile, Motorola is trying to have those patents dismissed through a declaratory judgment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Most likely Verizon's Motorola 10 inch Stingray featuring a dual-core Terga 2 processor, 1gb RAM, crazy fast GPU, and all that Android Honeycomb goodness.

Game On!
  • Reply 2 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most likely Verizon's Motorola 10 inch Stingray featuring a dual-core Terga 2 processor, 1gb RAM, crazy fast GPU, and all that Android Honeycomb goodness.

Game On!

I too think it?s most likely referencing the Moto Stingray, but what I don?t understand is where you obtain info on a crazy fast GPU and 1GB RAM. The last I read is it was rumoured to have 512MB RAM and there was no data on the specific GPU to be used.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    So much for Google trying to convince everyone that Android intended for tablets.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So much for Google trying to convince everyone that Android intended for tablets.

I recall Google saying that Android wouldn?t be tablet-ready until v3.0. I assume this prototype is showing a beta of v3.0 to be released next year.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    I wish that the video for this event was available to see Honeycomb in action. The pictures of the tablet look real nice though!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Competition... Hmmm, hmmm good. Your move Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Is that a security tether in the photo?
  • Reply 8 of 83
    If the new version of the Android OS this tablet from Motorola needs won't be out until "sometime next year," then it's entirely possible the iPad 2 will already be out well in advance. If the original iPad sent HP back to the drawing board with their HP Slate, I wonder if the iPad 2 might send Motorola back to the drawing board with their tablet. That would be amusing!

Mind you I fully expect the mainstream tech media to compare the current iPad to Motorola's unreleased product, despite it being months away from release. \
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Looking over the photos I can’t imagine doing any heavy reading on that thing. And what’s up with the icon layout. I’m especially fond of the iPad’s icon arrangement, but at least they spaced them out and made them larger. This tablet looks like it pushes them all to the center area.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    gedged Posts: 10member
    "Andy Rubin, the brainchild behind Google's Android mobile operating system..."

android is andy rubin's brainchild. andy rubin is not the brainchild behind android.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ged View Post

"Andy Rubin, the brainchild behind Google's Android mobile operating system..."

android is andy rubin's brainchild. andy rubin is not the brainchild behind android.

Good point. Thanks for catching that.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looking over the photos I can?t imagine doing any heavy reading on that thing.

Why? For reading I don't see any difference between this and an iPad and I frequently use my iPad for reading. I've actually stopped using my Sony ebook reader in favor of the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Why? For reading I don't see any difference between this and an iPad...

The aspect ratios are very different.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    I have an iPhone 4. I'm interested in getting an Android phone to replace my 4. However, I will never switch to an Android phone unless I can upgrade my Android OS like I can do with my iPhone. I think it is very poor form on Google's part to make me have to get a new phone to have the latest version of the Android OS. Just stupid.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

I have an iPhone 4. I'm interested in getting an Android phone to replace my 4. However, I will never switch to an Android phone unless I can upgrade my Android OS like I can do with my iPhone. I think it is very poor form on Google's part to make me have to get a new phone to have the latest version of the Android OS. Just stupid.

Not true, as all modern Android devices are eligible for updates, and only much older hardware gets left out, just as older iPhones/iPod Touch device don't get the latest iOS updates.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Android app size is limited to 25 MB. That's why there's no great media apps and games for Android.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Get a nexus device then. Vanilla android, always latest OS.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Android app size is limited to 25 MB. That's why there's no great media apps and games for Android.

You may have been misinformed, as Let's Golf on my Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2/Froyo is some 101MB (on the device not the microSDHC card).

• Reply 19 of 83
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Old hardware, I guess that explains why the 1GHz Snapdragon equipped SonyEricsson Experia X10, I was using last week only just received an update from Donut to Eclair, funny thing is Angry Birds was available when it was running 1.6 but disappeared and became unavailable after the 2.1 update, I guess that's fragmentation for you.

I don't know how you can use devices restricted to Verizon's very slow, by HSDPA/HSUPA standards, CDMA Rev A 3G network.

Quote:

Not true, as all modern Android devices are eligible for updates, and only much older hardware gets left out, just as older iPhones/iPod Touch device don't get the latest iOS updates.

Is the GPS on that thing as bad as the Galaxy S?

My friend showed me how his running software added a couple of miles to his run, giving him an average speed fast enough to win gold in the 100 meters at the Olympics and leave Forest Gump for dead.

btw Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus, weighs in at 800MB on my iPhone 4.

Quote:

You may have been misinformed, as Let's Golf on my Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2/Froyo is some 101MB (on the device not the microSDHC card).

• Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rubin ... teased the tablet

: