Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am the same ... I am sure Apple have their reasons but it has always puzzled me why new products emerge just after Christmas each year. I always visited the Mac World shows in San Francisco and remember well that was a massive to product time but now Apple doesn't have that annual event to take into account, I can't help but wonder why they don't move their refresh cycle back a month or two to coincide with the year's largest sales potential period, especially now they are so consumer oriented.

Many reasons not to release new product just before Christmas season:

No time to really market it properly.

Makes initial build too large, too fast AND chances of misjudging demand is too great

Unexpected bug(s)

A product release just before the holiday season has too many factors that could go wrong. Any error could kill the sales for the year and could kill a product that could otherwise be very successful. The holiday season is not the time for guesstimating product demand for a product with no track record. If you make a mistake(s) in the holiday season you ruin sales for the year. Way too risky for a major product release by a major market maker then.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

And it should hover, so I don't have to hold it.

good one lol
  • Reply 43 of 88
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    I just want it to be lighter. LOVE my iPad. Bought it on launch day. But it is a tad heavier than I expected.

As for USB, I think that's a little ridiculous. What exactly would you plug into it other than keyboard or flash memory. Nothing. Can you imagine the support issues with people calling Apple asking why their mouse doesn't work when they plug it into their iPad. Why add this port when 99% of devices out there either wouldn't work or just plain wouldn't make sense on a touch-based device? It's not a desktop computer people.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Just a question. Do you think Apple are relying on people to undertake a two year upgrade cycle on iPad like they typically do for phones? It would seem to me the iPad updates would be purchased on a less frequent basis, sitting somewhere between phone and computers. I had my Macbook for 4 years before upgrading.

I guess what I'm asking, is that after the initial growth curve for iPad (which we're still in) is the rate of uptake going to be sustained at a similar level to that of iphones and ipod touches?

It costs almost nothing to buy each new model and sell the previous one on Craig's List or EBay. Holding on to a model for 4 years winds up costing the owner a lot more money when they finally upgrade. I think a lot of iPad owners know this and will be buying each new model either as an additional iPad for the family or replacement for the one they have to roll over for one or two hundred dollars less than the cost of the new one.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I bought the first one and love it.

I will also be buying the 2nd version.

Use mine for surfing the net and mail, planning stuff for work, drawing art for work, editing stuff in Pages, making presentations for work, referencing my huge collection of PDFs and of course for the occasional game and movie. Oh, and managing photos, writing music... It is awesome.

Can only imagine these tasks will get even better on the next version.

'Zactly.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup I think iPad is on a one- or two-yearly cycle, being more of a very new kind of device than a computer. Doesn't matter anyways because in 2011 and 2012 iPhone 4/5/6 and iPad 2/3 is going to be mostly to new users in currently underserved markets.

I think many of us - current owners of both - will continue to upgrade every year. A lot of the buyers will be owners of the previous model who know the resale value of the previous models are nearly the same as or more than (in the case of the iPhone) that of the next model.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am the same ... I am sure Apple have their reasons but it has always puzzled me why new products emerge just after Christmas each year. I always visited the MacWorld Conference & Expo in San Francisco and remember well that was a massive to product time but now Apple doesn't have that annual event to take into account, I can't help but wonder why they don't move their refresh cycle back a month or two to coincide with the year's largest sales potential period, especially now they are so consumer oriented.

Although Apple has stopped attending Macworld Expo as an exhibitor, the show is still being produced each year - this year it's the last week in January 2011. Above post explains why new products aren't introduced in November.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    2010 and people are still mixing memory and storage. It's not 16GB of memory. Technically storage is a type of memory, but that's not how we describe size/storage capacity.

16GB - storage capacity

256mb - memory
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Apple should do a specs customization option for iPad 2 like on the laptops and desktops. Faster processor, more memory and storage, USB/HDMI, etc the higher the price. I'm sure a lot people would pay more to get more juice and features and most will be happy with a base model for a lower price.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.

? quad-core 2.6GHz CPU

? Dual 10X zoom cameras with flash

? 4 USB ports

? 20 hour battery with solar changer

? built-in projector

? 12GB RAM

? 1TB memory

? 2 SD card readers (flush mounting)

? FW 800 port

? HDMI port

? mini-display port

? digital TV tuner with recording capability

? AM/FM radio with automatic talk-radio channel muter

? half the weight of the current model

? twice the pixels

? retractable keyboard

? latte maker

Did I forget anything?

You forgot 3D Blu Ray with Glasses included.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I passed on the 1st gen. Hope there is something compelling with the 2nd.

Unless it can squirt pink unicorns using Voice Command, the trolls will tell us that it is not good enough.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Although Apple has stopped attending Macworld Expo as an exhibitor, the show is still being produced each year - this year it's the last week in January 2011. Above post explains why new products aren't introduced in November.

As I stated in the first sentence, I'm sure Apple has reasons not to release before Christmas and I can see the argument both ways. The argument a new Apple product isn't safe to sell then isn't one I'd buy into to be honest but lost sales due to those of us waiting are only a small fraction I'm sure. BTW I am aware Mac World continues but I stopped going a few years back. The internet kind of made it redundant for me but that's just me. I do miss the atmosphere especially when I had to work in a booth it was fun as was the camaraderie.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You forgot 3D Blu Ray with Glasses included.

He also forgot the 'beam me up' button
  • Reply 52 of 88
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes, I always pass on 1st Gen apple products as we all know Apple will bust a move with a better upgrade for the iPad 2. ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. ...

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:

There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.

? ...

? latte maker

Are we talking superauto, semiautomatic or manual? Personally, I hate the idea of having to carry a bar towel around to wipe down the steam wand. Puck disposal could be a hassle, too.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Anyway, not much of a rumor. 100 days from today is March 17th, pretty much a year to the date of the original launch, so more or less on the expected schedule. Was anyone not expecting an iPad 2? Anyone besides DaHarder, that is?
  • Reply 55 of 88
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I pity the fool who buys one now.

Actually anyone who bought the 1st gen will want to ditch it guaranteed once the 2nd gen comes out. Look at the major changes from the 1st gen iPod Touch and iPhone to the 2nd. All the 1st gen early adopters did was whine and complain constantly once gen 2 arrived.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!

Not true- the diff between gen1 to gen 2 are always more dramatic.

Just look at the iPhone and iPod touch as examples.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I pity the fool who buys one now.

Actually anyone who bought the 1st gen will want to ditch it guaranteed once the 2nd gen comes out. Look at the major changes from the 1st gen iPod Touch and iPhone to the 2nd. All the 1st gen early adopters did was whine and complain constantly once gen 2 arrived.

Apple products improve so rapidly that it makes the most sense to buy them as soon as they come out. Their life cycles are very predictable. If you get stuff within the first week or two, you will have a long useful life. But if you buy it the day before the new one is announced, you'll get less value.
  • Reply 58 of 88
    I had been saving for a new MB Pro to replace my first gen 1.83 MBP, but have now decided to put that money towards the upcoming iPad release. I work for a large broadcast company and our IT guy has written software that will allow me to access our complete Windows desktops and central servers with VPN on an iPad. I do, though, understand there are challenges on certain programs we use that are more "mouse" based.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    I wonder if Apple might keep the original iPad around at a discounted price for the K-12 market. I can easily imagine that the K-12 folks might prefer a model that does not have a camera.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Not true- the diff between gen1 to gen 2 are always more dramatic.

Just look at the iPhone and iPod touch as examples.

But, the difference between the gen 1 and gen 4 iPhone is even more dramatic. So, it's always better to wait for a future device, which will always be dramatically better. You end up as a sort of technological corollary of Buridan's Ass.

By the way, is this a new iLuv alias?