Google announces Nexus S smartphone with 'Gingerbread' Android

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    The Nexus might be my new phone and these are my reasons why.

1: Android Gingerbread (more polished and updates)

2: Highly integrated with Google features, only 100,000 apps, however as long they have the ten or twenty top useful apps likely that's good enough for most people I figure.

3: More "manly" device verses the "feminine" iPhone.

4: Wifi for up to 6 devices, no extra carrier charge

5: Google Voice app

6: VOIP (it's in there, just needs to be tapped with a app)

7: some sort of Near Directional communication system, looks promising.

8: Unlocked for $560 or so.

Some drawbacks.

1: GSM So for the USA that means AT&T as a carrier (or T-Mobile), so the same issues the iPhone has will be on the Nexus S.

2: No "No contract" service like Verison and others have.

3: Google snooping.

Having a "No contract" phone and Google Voice is wonderful if your not a heavy user like myself.

If there is a app that manage everything over Wifi for free if available, then route through the carriers if not, with a "No contract" "Pay for what I use" I would be quite a happy camper.

So the solution I see is to get the VOIP working on the Nexus S and then opting for the lowest AT&T voice and data plan?

I see Google and the more open Android system more in getting towards my "ultimate phone", than Apple's iPhone being dictated by AT&T.

Tough getting the best phone with the best options in our limited US market.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

The Nexus might be my new phone and these are my reasons why.

1: Android Gingerbread (more polished and updates)

2: Highly integrated with Google features, only 100,000 apps, however as long they have the ten or twenty top useful apps likely that's good enough for most people I figure.

3: More "manly" device verses the "feminine" iPhone.

4: Wifi for up to 6 devices, no extra carrier charge

5: Google Voice app

6: VOIP (it's in there, just needs to be tapped with a app)

7: some sort of Near Directional communication system, looks promising.

8: Unlocked for $560 or so.

Some drawbacks.

1: GSM So for the USA that means AT&T as a carrier (or T-Mobile), so the same issues the iPhone has will be on the Nexus S.

2: No "No contract" service like Verison and others have.

3: Google snooping.

Having a "No contract" phone and Google Voice is wonderful if your not a heavy user like myself.

If there is a app that manage everything over Wifi for free if available, then route through the carriers if not, with a "No contract" "Pay for what I use" I would be quite a happy camper.

So the solution I see is to get the VOIP working on the Nexus S and then opting for the lowest AT&T voice and data plan?

I see Google and the more open Android system more in getting towards my "ultimate phone", than Apple's iPhone being dictated by AT&T.

Tough getting the best phone with the best options in our limited US market.

Agreed, I like the look of it, even though it's just another slab,but they all are, even the iphone is just a glass slab sandwiching a metal band to make it look a bit different.

Apple need to step up with a new interface, if Android polish theirs up like they are doing, the (already tired) iPhone interface will look ancient. Android will too, they hired the guy who designed the webOs interface Palm.