Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!

Absolutely right, hence the final sentence in my post - "Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ... "

Maybe I was being too subtle \
  • Reply 62 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I just want it to be lighter. LOVE my iPad. Bought it on launch day. But it is a tad heavier than I expected.

As for USB, I think that's a little ridiculous. What exactly would you plug into it other than keyboard or flash memory. Nothing. Can you imagine the support issues with people calling Apple asking why their mouse doesn't work when they plug it into their iPad. Why add this port when 99% of devices out there either wouldn't work or just plain wouldn't make sense on a touch-based device? It's not a desktop computer people.

Reducing the weight will be the single most substantial upgrade for the next version and I can pretty much guarantee that Jobs will make a big deal about the weight reduction. After all, weight is really the lone advantage that competing 7" designs could offer and I can assure you that the competition's 10" units will weigh more than the current iPad because with other manufacturers it's all about hitting a particular price point at the expense of design.

But in addition, the next version will have double the memory and generally faster hardware. I doubt, though, that we'll see a significant bump in screen resolution. Not only would that be expensive, it would put more strain on the processor to handle bigger files and more memory would be eaten up by larger files. Not only would media files be larger but apps would have to be adjusted to accommodate the higher res screen. More strain on battery life, too. Lose/Lose all the way around. Pointless.

In time, likely, memory, processing power, battery tech, etc. will have advanced to the point where upping screen resolution will be easy to do but that's a long way off.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

But, the difference between the gen 1 and gen 4 iPhone is even more dramatic. So, it's always better to wait for a future device, which will always be dramatically better. You end up as a sort of technological corollary of Buridan's Ass.

By the way, is this a new iLuv alias?

Your response, besides being idiotic, is both sarcastic and accusatory.

Therefore you have been added to my ignore list.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I've been waiting for the 2nd gen iPad, just because I told myself I would, but truth is there's not much I want in an update. More RAM is the main thing. I'd like it if 3G became the default and at the Wifi price point. Facetime is likely but I don't really care about video conferencing. Maybe an option with more storage. Maybe the next version of their CPU will debut in the iPad like the A4 did. The iPad is really about the software. I'm interested to see what features iOS 4.x on iPad 2 will have (if any).
  • Reply 65 of 88
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Oh yeah, lighter and thinner. Weight reduction is really where Apple should concentrate. I think most of the weight comes from the battery and the glass so I'm not sure how they'll do it.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Absolutely right, hence the final sentence in my post - "Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ... "

Maybe I was being too subtle \

No, you're still being irrational. The next one will always be better, so you should always continue to wait, according to that logic.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Your response, besides being idiotic, is both sarcastic and accusatory.

Therefore you have been added to my ignore list.

I guess I was right about iLiver being iLuv.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

I guess I was right about iLiver being iLuv.

WRONG. I should have added that originally rather than let you waste additional space here. I apologize to fellow posters for allowing you to post more dribble.

Now back to my ignore list.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    Quote:

WRONG.

Back to my ignore list.

Seems like I was never on it.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apple should do a specs customization option for iPad 2 like on the laptops and desktops. Faster processor, more memory and storage, USB/HDMI, etc the higher the price. I'm sure a lot people would pay more to get more juice and features and most will be happy with a base model for a lower price.

That train left the station looooong ago.

Most people who want what you do are putting their eggs in the windows or android basket.

Also, what kind of number would you use to define a lot of people and what adjective would you use to describe the number of people who are purchasing ipads?
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Quote:

No, you're still being irrational. The next one will always be better, so you should always continue to wait, according to that logic.

OK, OK - that was exactly the (probably too subtle) point I was trying to make.

What I was gently mocking was the whole "I always wait for 2nd (or 3rd .. or 4th?) gen products before I'll buy anything from Apple" approach. Such an approach relies on their being enough "mugs" who buy the anaemic V1 products from Apple to allow those who are always hanging on for V2 to actually have a V2 product to buy.

As some sage said many, many years back (I think discussing computers or probably any techie gizmo) "If it works it's obsolete".

FYI: I bought Macintosh V1.0 in 1984, iPod V1.0 in 2003 and iPad V1.0 in 2010. I've always tried to do my bit to help out those late adopters so that they actually have something to adopt. Of course what I was asking too is, "Why decide to jump in at V2.0 when if you held on a little longer for V3.0 ... ?
  • Reply 72 of 88
    Quote:

Seems like I was never on it.

Don't you hate it when people don't deliver on their promises?
  • Reply 73 of 88
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.

?

• Reply 74 of 88
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

?

10.5 pounds?
  • Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Don't you hate it when people don't deliver on their promises?

Especially when they seem to be feeling a bit liverish.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:

WRONG. I should have added that originally rather than let you waste additional space here. I apologize to fellow posters for allowing you to post more dribble.

Now back to my ignore list.

FYI: 'dribble' does not mean what you think it means. I believe the word you want is 'drivel'. Of course, you won't see this since you are ignoring me, but everyone else can have a nice chuckle.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    as long as they add more magic, in order to make this the most magical iPad yet, i'm in.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

?

Totally preposterous; there's no SD card slot.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
  • Reply 80 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Oh yeah, lighter and thinner. Weight reduction is really where Apple should concentrate. I think most of the weight comes from the battery and the glass so I'm not sure how they'll do it.

There might be a little weight loss but probably not much in the end. It will be sucked up by the two cameras, the two sets of 3G/lte chipsets, the USB ports, the sd car slot, the gb of ram, the 500 gb ssd and of course the blu-ray drive.

Not to mention the pixie dust and the unicorn horns that make it runn 24/7 for two years without a recharge ( now that is battery life)