Classifying iPad as mobile PC makes Apple No. 3 worldwide manufacturer

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
If the iPad is categorized as equivalent to a traditional laptop, Apple is the largest mobile PC seller in the U.S., and the third-largest worldwide.

DisplaySearch on Tuesday revealed its Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report, in which it noted that the "iPad effect" is shaking up the mobile computing market. In less than a year on the market, the iPad already represents 8 percent of global shipments of all mobile PCs.

Globally, the research firm found that HP led in unit shipments of mobile computers in the third calendar quarter of 2010, with 9.5 million. Acer was close behind in second with 9.1 million.

Apple's 6.3 million mobile devices shipped in the third quarter was good for third place, with a 12.4 percent share. But without the iPad, DisplaySearch said Apple would have come in eighth place with 4.8 percent of the mobile PC market.

"A lack of competitive tablet PC products from other brands continues to drive Apple's market share in the mobile PC segment," said Chris Connery, vice president of large format displays at DisplaySearch.

But the firm noted that Apple faces challenges with the international expansion of the iPad, citing Japan where iPad adoption was categorized as "weak." The NPD Group research company said that Apple must overcome the "Western-centric nature" of the iPad and support the local needs of nations overseas.

"On a global scale, the adoption of iPad is not without its challenges," said Hidetoshi Himuro, director of IT market research at DisplaySearch. "Localized content in non-English speaking regions is sparse, and iPad owners must have a PC for downloading content from iTunes. As a result, penetration in developing regions will be slow."

In October, analyst Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank recognized that including the iPad in PC unit sales would make Apple the largest seller of computers in the U.S. With the Mac alone, Apple had more than 10 percent of domestic PC sales last quarter.

In its quarterly earnings report in October, Apple revealed that it shipped a total of 4.19 million iPads in the final quarter of its fiscal year 2010. Mac shipments, including desktops and portable devices, were a record 3.89 million worldwide.

Though the iPad is already outselling the Mac, reports have suggested the "cannibalization" effect of Apple's touchscreen tablet on Mac sales has been minimal. Still, tablets like the iPad are projected to have a significant impact on the PC market as a whole, with Gartner projecting that tablets will "displace" 10 percent of PC sales by 2014.

Others, however, expect the tablet disruption to come even sooner -- next year. Craig Berger of FBR Capital Markets predicted that every 2.5 tablets sold results in a lost PC sale. He sees Apple selling 40 million iPads next year, and competing tablets achieving 30 million total sales, displacing 28 million conventional PCs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Too bad it's a still primarily a computer peripheral/accessory, not a completely autonomous computing device (at this point).
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Too bad it's a still primarily a computer peripheral/accessory, not a completely autonomous computing device (at this point).

Yes. They should have made it a stand alone computer like the windows tablets that preceded it.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    who cares about unit sales. tell us the dollar sales. If companies ship computers that are the equivalent of turds, why do we care how many they ship.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Anonymous sources report that Apple has captured 100% of the lucrative iPad market. However, computer industry observers are predicting that stiff competition in 2011 will reduce their share of this fast-growing market to a mere 100% by 2012.

Opinion is divided on whether Apple's reduced market share will allow them to cling to their #1 spot in the market or whether they will be brought low by competition and reduced to a much less impressive #1 ranking.

Industry observers were especially bearish on iOS use within the iPad market, seeing a drastic reduction from the current dominant 100% position to a much more splintered market with a 100% market share for iOS within the iPad market.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Anonymous sources report that Apple has captured 100% of the lucrative iPad market. However, computer industry observers are predicting that stiff competition in 2011 will reduce their share of this fast-growing market to a mere 100% by 2012.

Opinion is divided on whether Apple's reduced market share will allow them to cling to their #1 spot in the market or whether they will be brought low by competition and reduced to a much less impressive #1 ranking.

Industry observers were especially bearish on iOS use within the iPad market, seeing a drastic reduction from the current dominant 100% position to a much more splintered market with a 100% market share for iOS within the iPad market.

I own one. It is not a PC of any classifyable sort. 'Nough said
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I agree. I think of the iPad as more of a personal computer and my iPhone the same way, for that matter! I mean, they're not "flowerpots," afterall!

Best
  • Reply 7 of 33
    The iPad is not a open laptop computer, it's a closed Apple controlled computing appliance that replaces many of the features of a traditional laptop computer.

Eventually of course when cloud processing comes on line, it will take more and more of what powerful traditional computers do.

Quote:

Shipments of smartphones, tablets and other app-enabled devices will overtake PC shipments in the next 18 months, an event that may signify the end of the PC-centric era, market research firm IDC said.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...o_overtake_PCs

I personally don't welcome the change, I think the iPad and closed tablets like them totally suck as they just don't take on line privacy or other concerns people have into their design consideration.

I like the choice I have with my machine, to hit the command line, to install what software I want, not what Apple tells me I can have, or to be monitored by Apple or whomever because I can't detect their backdoor behaviors. (install LittleSnitch in OS X, then the iPad Safari agent into Safari and visit the NYT website and watch LittleSnitch scream it's head off as iPad Safari makes all sorts of backdoor connections other than port 80)

I'll hang on to my open Mac as long as Apple makes it, then I will leave them forever because I'm not going to use a iPad or other closed device just to have some telemarketer call me up in a few weeks asking me how much I liked those shirts I saw at BizsoShirts.com and threaten to expose my pr0n fetishes to my mother or church if I don't buy them.

With all the Java and Javascript exploits, Flash and Silverlight permanent cookies, Evercookies, history sniffing, Webkit exploits, cache poisoning, cross site scripting, clear clicks, web bugs and what not roaming the 'net you can't yet forfeit control over your own just hardware yet.

And since Apple now has iAds or whatever, shows that they intend to be just like Google and take great pains to monitor and sell everything you do with your Apple devices.

Look what's going on with the magazine subscriptions for the iPad, Apple is trying to hold out against the magazines who want to know everything your doing with your iPad in exchange for their content.

Without content the iPad is meaningless, and the magazine publishers know that.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Very, very funny!

Best comment, after mine, of course!
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

I own 2 iPads!

An iPad != a Personal Computer != a MicroComputer != a MiniComputer != a MainFrame Computer != a Punched Card Accounting Machine != a Turing Machine != an Astrolab != an Abacus

The iPad == a Mobile Computer.

Your point is...?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Well if your antiquated "classification" of a PC is a dusty Dell tower with numerous dusty cables and dusty pwr bricks attached (even their "wireless" KB & mouse requires cables!) then u r correct. But Apple has changed the paradigm. Rather successfully. Unlike netbooks equipped with a "dusty" Windows OS failed to do.

Think about it. 90% of users are just doing email, surfing, online banking, basic music, video and photo management.

Who wants to sit in front of desktop all day! Uggh!

Sent from my "not dusty" iPhone

Thx

Chris
  • Reply 11 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hey Dav (and everybody else),

Check out this story on NPR this morning on how David Hockney uses his iPad, and his iPhone before it. He has a gallery opening in Paris with 20 iPads on the wall, and 20 iPhones.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/07/131854...period?ps=cprs

Too bad you can't think -- or see -- like this. But then I suspect you have an anti-Apple job to do that is shrinking your imagination. The iPad is superior to an anchored desktop or a keyboard-cluttered laptop in countless ways.

You have to be a tool of the dark side not to see that by now.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Given PC stands for personal computer IMHO it certainly qualifies. It does far more 'personal computing' than most 'PCs' did in the first decade they existed already.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I own 2 iPads!

Is that just 2, or 2 each?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is that just 2, or 2 each?

Each of me owns 1 Each (1 iPad WiFi and 1 iPad WiFi+3G)

... that works out to a total of 9 (each).
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given PC stands for personal computer IMHO it certainly qualifies. It does far more 'personal computing' than most 'PCs' did in the first decade they existed already.

Brilliant! I remember my mom trying to work a gateway POS!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

And since Apple now has iAds or whatever, shows that they intend to be just like Google and take great pains to monitor and sell everything you do with your Apple devices.....

.....Look what's going on with the magazine subscriptions for the iPad, Apple is trying to hold out against the magazines who want to know everything your doing with your iPad in exchange for their content.

You should at least put a few sentences between flatly contradicting yourself.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Computer's were actually people first. As in "one who computes". It used to be a job. There are old ads for accounting companies looking to fill "computer" positions. So I find it silly to think that once humans (and as noted above archaic counting and analog devices) used to be referred to as computers, but not the ipad. (?)
  • Reply 18 of 33
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

it's a closed Apple controlled computing appliance...

I like the choice I have with my machine, to hit the command line, to install what software I want...

What a rant!

All computer systems are limited to the software choice others provide to you unless you create your own software. You can create your own using the iOS SDK.

Quote:

... without content the iPad is meaningless, and the magazine publishers know that.

just as a PC is meaningless without any information to work with; unless you regard staring at the Desktop or Finder all day as being meaningful.

I think people who fail to see how an iPad can be useful and creative are in the same category as those who couldn't see the first microcomputers being useful when mainframes were the fashion.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If Ford, Toyota, and all other car manufacturers start classifying their cars as "mobile PCs", how would they rank?

If Casio, Timex and all other watch manufacturers start classifying their digital watches as "mobile PCs", how would they rank?

"If my grandmother had wheels, she would be a wagon." Scotty, Star Trek 3.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

iPad is personal. iPad is a computer. iPad is mobile.

It's a mobile personal computer. What do you not understand about those three attributes?