Is there more than the iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK everyone - we've seen the new iMac. Personally, it's growing on me. We'll see what Steve has to say about it in a few hours.

What is interesting, though, is that Apple has been hyping *something* all week, and we've all pretty much assumed that it would be something bigger than the iMac. The iMac, however, is what is on the cover of TIME. Not a digital device, not a wireless pen tablet, etc...

So - opinions/info... do you think this is it, the iMac is what Apple has been hyping, or is there something we haven't seen yet?

Discuss.

-S

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I think it is. The new iMac actually looks like a home furnishing, like a lamp or a telephone. It truly looks like the appliance that centers all sorts of creative digital activities (internet, video editing, music), aka The Hub.

But importantly, it's the announcement that such a unique design (the rotating, movable panel on an arm is what NOBODY expected) will also sport a G4 (most thought G3, right?)and a Superdrive (we somewhat hoped, we really did... but the G3 anticipation threw us off) that I think is really more than what alot of pundits here were thinking. Also, iPhoto looks like a real charmer.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: pathogen ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 14
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    I think, in marketing-speak, all the front page tag lines fit the new iMac.

It is "where no PC has gone before."

"Lust Factor 10" works.

It's "way beyond the rumor sites" (I never saw a mockup that looked like that)

No other product is required to fit the hype. I think they'll just bump the PowerMacs. Or maybe make them all dual CPU - possibly Quad at the top end.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The iMac is Steve's baby. The machine saved Apple. That's what people talk about now when they think of Apple. The iMac. Even though the other products are great, whenever I bring my PowerBook around, people always refer to it as 'an iMac'. It's the flagship product, and Apple needs to market it for all it's worth.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    I hope so. The iMac is neat but I don't think that it meets half the hype that we have heard so far.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by pathogen:

<strong>Also, iPhoto looks like a real charmer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh? Are you seeing something I'm not? I see a new iMac, but nothing more than just a mention of iPhoto.

(edit: clarity and spelling)

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: LuckyJno ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>I think, in marketing-speak, all the front page tag lines fit the new iMac.

It is "where no PC has gone before."

"Lust Factor 10" works.

It's "way beyond the rumor sites" (I never saw a mockup that looked like that)

No other product is required to fit the hype. I think they'll just bump the PowerMacs. Or maybe make them all dual CPU - possibly Quad at the top end.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As if. PCs with attached LCDs have been available. Making it a little more adjustable and calling it revolutionary is stretching it beyond sanity. Many rumor sites predicted an AIO LCD iMac. The iMac doesn't meet the hype at all. Either there is more, or Apple has overhyped us all beyond reason.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    kompokompo Posts: 3member
    all that has been written in the leaking TIME issue sounds a bit 'poor' compared to what 's everyone 's expecting...

- brand new iMac

- iPhoto mentionned (cataloging picts + photo album .)

- and ?...

-------------------------

Apple 's hiding most of the features of its products,that's why i 'm actually expecting "more"

i mean

- New "G4+ / G5" cases.

- Real 3D speedy rendering capabilities with a new motherboard nVidia powered / with DDRAM at 266 Mhz...even more ...

- Discreet 3DSMax on OSX 10.2

- a brand new coffeemaker w/titanium for my girlfriend and I

later.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by LuckyJno:

<strong>

Huh? Are you seeing something I'm not? I see a new iMac, but nothing more than just a mention of iPhoto.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

The bit about organizing your digital photos into albums Apple will print into a hardcover book... that looks like a service I might pay for.

Also, a fanless computer in an elliptical shape, with a DVD burner and a screen that pivots at all sorts of wild angles? ... tell me that has been done before.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: pathogen ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 14
    This new imac justifys the hype and then some. A Powermac G4 for 2499 yesterday (without a monitor) also had a Superdrive. Today an iMac G4 with Superdrive and 15 inch flat panel for only $1,800!????!!!!!!!!!!!!iPHOTO!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY, APPLE HAS DONE AN AMAZING JOB.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I think between the iMac and perhaps a small PowerMac update (they'll have to - the iMac will have to surpass the low-end PM to use its Superdrive), and iPhoto, we'll have a good show. Not to mention lots of apps for X to be shown off, I'm sure.

I personally think the iBook would make a spectacular "one more thing..." - wow us with the desktops and applications, then somewhat unexpectedly introduce iBook colors, 700MHz across-the-board, or perhaps starting at $999. That would be a great ending.

-S
  • Reply 11 of 14
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by macmonkey:

<strong>

As if. &lt;snip&gt;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I said, "in marketing-speak." Obviously, *just* the new iMac doesn't meet all of *our* expectations. That's an impossible task, even for Apple.

This thread is trying to determine if there will be more than just the new iMac - that's how I'm interpreting the title of the thread, at least. I was just pointing out that there aren't any front page tag lines that don't fit for the new iMac. That is, none of the tag lines necessarily points to another product.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Don't expect colors, spiffy. Apple is WAY past that.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jethrojethro Posts: 34member
    [quote]Originally posted by LuckyJno:

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Someone posted a scan from the print magazine that shows iPhoto (gleaned from the giant hype thread):

<a href="http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/categories/actualite/upload/imac2_scan.jpg"; target="_blank">iPhoto</a>

It's also a much better picture (larger!) of the new iMac, it actually doesn't look half bad in this one.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>Don't expect colors, spiffy. Apple is WAY past that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know, cooop. I think the design of the iBook is such that it would still have a serious look if done in rich (not candy) tones. But more importantly, after seeing the new iMac, I think the iBook is what Apple's got left that is really going for kids and students, so it's the one product in the lineup that I COULD picture in color anymore.

-S